Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Charging me for warranty issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I reported a smell of spoiled milk and clicking upon acceleration

Does this seem correct? Are these items covered under warranty? I've only owned it since 6/29 (see attached). Or does Tesla hate me?
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 3.07.57 PM.png

Gashes in the seat may not be covered as they generally need to be spotted during the delivery process. Sometimes they'll do minor stuff on "Good Will," but you can't count on it. The AC stuff should be warranty work if there is something out of wack from the factory. If a mouse crawled into your vents and died, it's not a defect, just some routine maintenance that you're having them perform. AC odor in humid environments are common and aren't considered warranty issues. Clicking due to a fan rubbing or bad bearings would be a different story.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Coming from BMW, I almost never paid out of pocket so this is a little new to me.

the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.
- the gashes in my rear seat look like they came from the seatbelt (never had rear passengers, forever alone)
- the car was built in 6/19, why on earth would ir crap out already and why what assurance do I have it wont happen again in another month?

Those seem to be pretty big "defects in the materials on any parts mfg or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use"

Unrelated, but are you a Service Center Manager @SSonnentag

Reactions: afadeev
Coming from BMW, I almost never paid out of pocket so this is a little new to me.

the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.
- the gashes in my rear seat look like they came from the seatbelt (never had rear passengers, forever alone)
- the car was built in 6/19, why on earth would ir crap out already and why what assurance do I have it wont happen again in another month?

Those seem to be pretty big "defects in the materials on any parts mfg or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use"
You have a good case. Try contacting your sales adviser and see if they can do something about waiving the charge.

Were you actually charged or is that just the estimate they gave you in advance of the work? I ask because I've seen some reports of people getting those estimates in advance for what were clearly warranty issues and then not being charged once the work was complete. I've also had other brands/dealers do the same with warranty/recall work.

They should all be covered except filter hvac replacement and rear seat gash. Those are wear and tear.

@MountainJedi service estimate ahead of tomorrows service appt

Last edited:

@MountainJedi service estimate ahead of tomorrows service appt
I don't think it's uncommon for them to give you an estimate in case once they get in there, they figure out it's not a warranty issue. I'd just confirm it prior to signing anything or having them start work.

Reactions: zyzz

I’ve had the opposite experience with my BMW. I was not only charged for everything, including ridiculous inspection fees, but they rarely fixed the right thing first try, and kept charging me until they did.
My BMW also had the A/C odour, and they wouldn’t fix that either.

The AC odor smell is definitely not covered by warranty. I tried scheduling a mobile service and they told me it was a charge. I found out that the smell goes away if I turn off recirculated air. So I guess I can't use that function.

Mine was covered. They replaced both filters and cleaned the unit. It doesn’t smell anymore.

The Service Advisor first refused to cover. When I told him I’d read on the forums others have been covered he said, well we can’t cover everyone. I asked for the manager and they completed it no charge. Mines a 19 so not sure how old yours is.

Reactions: zyzz
Mine was covered. They replaced both filters and cleaned the unit. It doesn’t smell anymore.

The Service Advisor first refused to cover. When I told him I’d read on the forums others have been covered he said, well we can’t cover everyone. I asked for the manager and they completed it no charge. Mines a 19 so not sure how old yours is.
“We can’t cover everyone” is prob one of the dumbest lines he could use.

BMW wanted to charge me $75 to snap in a broken cup-holder (E36 M3). Cupholder was $19. They wouldn't even let me pay for the cupholder and leave it on the seat. Had to wait in the parts line.

OP - it's probably an estimate but I'd verify when bringing it in. I do think you would need a good case to not have to pay for the seat cut. It's hard to prove someone wasn't riding in the car w/ something in their back pocket. Clicking should be warranty check.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’ve had the opposite experience with my BMW. I was not only charged for everything, including ridiculous inspection fees, but they rarely fixed the right thing first try, and kept charging me until they did.
My BMW also had the A/C odour, and they wouldn’t fix that either.
Bingo. It's why I stopped buying that yuppie car 20 years ago. I had nothing but problems they wanted to charge an arm and leg to correct. Now having said that, a good friend loves her little beamer and doesn't want anything else. I guess we all have different experiences sometimes.

Mine is a June 2018, so it's been over a year.