Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center communication is terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm as big a supporter of Telsa as anybody else, but have to agree that customer service is lacking. I'm not happy with it, and my parents who bought an MS are unhappy too. Diluting SP 1-2% to build up customer support is a no brainer.

I fear that EM thinks customer service can be automated to the extent he originally thought manufacturing could be. That mistake cost years and billions of $, and the poor customer support today will similarly cost much goodwill and billions of $.

Fortunately, Tesla has such a big lead in technology and market share that they'll probably be able to absorb the loss. Still, it's a pity to win on the really hard stuff, and mess up on the simple things that every other consumer products company handles.

• Love
Reactions: N5329K and neroden
Customer service in general from Tesla right now is terrible... The ONLY thing Tesla cares about is are you buying a Model 3 today? If yes, great we'll talk to you and lie to you until you take delivery so we can count it towards the numbers. If no, go away and stop bothering us.

It's literally that bad right now...
That might be a slight exaggeration, but not much.

I'm a little amazed the shorts haven't reached out to the countless owners here on this site, including myself, and do a factually based hit piece to illustrate why Tesla is in far greater trouble than it appears.

Yeah. My girlfriend says it's because the short-sellers are employed by the oil companies. "Electric cars are in such high demand that people are buying them despite appaling, terrible customer service" doesn't send the message the oil companies want to send.

This attitude they have now, this arrogance, this incompetence, regarding their priorities is dangerous
Exceedingly dangerous.

and if I were long on TSLA, I'd be getting out NOW.

The systemic issues that are affecting Tesla are not so silently snowballing and are going to eventually rear themselves where it matters most, sales/deliveries. I lost count here how many people just on TMC who were early adopters are now "never agains"...
A dozen or so.

Tesla is in trouble, Elon needs to either fix it or put it into the hands of someone who will. Otherwise, books will be written and History/Discovery channel specials will be done chronicling how a car company with such amazing cars could collapse so quickly...
I have been seeing signs of awareness of the problem, but it hasn't translated to fixes yet. If Musk is such a blithering idiot that he thinks customer service can be automated (it can't), they will be in for years of pain until someone smacks some sense into him.

You, as the customer, cannot reach anyone with any authority. Online service chats, phone calls, emails...you talk to someone with no information and no authority, who then tells you they will escalate your situation to management and that you will hear back in a few days. Most of the time you do not hear back. Certainly, management does not make any effort to talk to you about the issue at hand. Contrast this to a typical car dealer where all of the decision making power is usually contained within the building. You can go to the manager and look him in the eye and know that he heard you.
Bingo. I've concluded that the best way to really get management's attention is a federal lawsuit. I haven't had the energy to do that, but it does seem to work.

Just today I got an email response to a very important question that I had sent a full week ago, only they answered the wrong question. It's clear no one made any effort to actually look into the situation. The poor employee who sent me the email response was, of course, just a messenger, as the actual substance of the response was generated elsewhere. It wasn't his fault, it wasn't his responsibility, and that's the problem.

The decisionmakers in this company exist in a bubble. The poor people on the front lines who have to hear us complaining can do nothing about it. And it's frustrating for everybody.

Yep. Internal communications are broken, top management is in a bubble of idiocy because customer complaints never properly get to the top. It's a fairly straightforward thing to fix, but they haven't recognized the problem yet.

What's wrong with the company?

They have been and still are growing around 100% YOY, that's what's wrong. If they were piddling along at a respectable 10-15% rate like most "successful" legacy manufacturers would consider great, they wouldn't have this problem. However, this company is trying to change the way people think about electric cars and the best way to do that is to put people in them.

Believe me, I totally understand the frustration. So does Tesla. When I was in a service center today everyone in there was bending over backwards to satisfy me. They know where their weaknesses are and I really believe they are trying to improve on them. It's hard to do when you are also growing at the speed they are.

Dan

BS excuse. Tesla could be providing perfectly good customer service if they made a serious effort to have functioning internal communications processes. Growth is not an excuse.

The stuff that's going wrong is really basic. Standard processes used by companies like eBay and Amazon would work fine.

BS excuse. Tesla could be providing perfectly good customer service if they made a serious effort to have functioning internal communications processes. Growth is not an excuse.

The stuff that's going wrong is really basic. Standard processes used by companies like eBay and Amazon would work fine.

As the saying goes, if you want to become rich, do what the rich did to get there. Apple and Amazon always had great customer service, regardless of SP. It paid off with loyal customers even when competition could undercut their prices. Hope EM will figure that out.

Simply hasn't been my experience. Sorry yours has been frustrating.

Dan

Try to have a conversation with Amazon about why an amazon prime delivery of something the size of a deck of cards was not delivered to an Amazon locker with the reason “package too large”. Or an item is left on the side of the road leaning against the curb (according to the delivery person photo) saying “left in secure location” and walks away. Or any prime delivery missed the delivery day and all they can offer is “sorry”.

Amazon isn’t the answer either...

Reactions: neroden and liuping
The fact is, it is being addressed. Over the past year I have seen the service significantly improve. Last week I had an issue with my charge port door not closing. I put in the service request and the following day they called to set up a mobile repair. Two days later they were at my house performing the repair in my driveway while I sat inside drinking my coffee and watching TV. We were in phone and text contact in the days prior to arrange everything. Repair was finished an hour earlier than anticipated and I got in my car and left for work.

This is why more service centers aren't opening, because they are moving to this model of repairs when possible. It's a far better experience for customers and probably more cost effective for them. I live in LA which is likely among the first places that they are expanding their service efforts. But yes it's a "fact" that it's being addressed. Just because you haven't personally experienced it in your city doesn't mean that it's not being addressed anywhere else in the country. It takes time to implement this everywhere. That's likely why there are people on here disagreeing with you, because they've had a different experience.

No, it's not being addressed.

Maybe in your area (Las Angeles area getting attention? No way!) it is but I can assure you that it's only getting worse here.

I have a story from a week ago that started over a month ago and involved my charge port (a rather important part) malfunctioning and a quickly coming up road trip that would take us across many states over a couple of weeks. I'll spare the details but it included not being able to reach anyone, not receiving call backs, finally reaching someone and having them give me misinformation seemingly not concerned with my charge port actively failing, telling me parts needed to be ordered and then telling me we couldn't schedule due to the Ranger Tech being out-of-town, then my parts arriving but used on another customer's car w/o replacing/reordering/informing me, then having to wait for parts to be reordered, then that one person I was able to talk to resigning from Tesla with no replacement just like his supervisor that had quit months earlier and not being replaced and finally the Ranger Tech telling me he had two charge ports on his truck the whole time once he got back from vacation & he also informed me that there were 4 other techs that could have done the work for me while he was away when the service center told me we had to wait until he got back.

This wasn't a door handle failing that made my life slightly more annoying it was a mission critical part that could have left the car completely inoperable or left us stranded somewhere. This is but one recent example and I hate that I have several very similar to this. Once the Ranger Tech gets involved he's amazing. Stuff that wasn't even on the list of stuff for him to do (there's usually a list of several repairs once he finally gets dispatched) he's more than happy to do and all of his work is impeccable. The problem is the staff between he and I are one of the most incompetent groups I've ever experienced and I've seen my share of incompetence over the years.

So, maybe in your specific area it's improving but conversations with the one competent Tesla employee in our region leads me to believe this isn't specific to our one service center but it's echoed across most locations he's had contact with.

Some people would rather have cutting edge features in the car they drive every day instead of being schmoozed by a dealership...with cafe mochas. I would much rather have a car that can drive itself on the highway, has incredible acceleration, a 5-star safety rating in every category (safest SUV ever built) and updates itself every few weeks with brand new features, even if it means not having the red carpet rolled out for me in the two times it needed repaired. Other people prefer waterfalls and nibbles. To each his/her own.

Your entire premise is that we MUST chose one or the other. I don't see why we can't have a decent customer service. I mean, they've revolutionized every other aspect of business and yet can't manage to have a reasonable customer service experience from beginning to end?

This poor of customer service for this prolonged period is blatant. The majority has spoken and yet there's still a select few who excuse the behavior making it seem like everything is fine or at minimum on the mend. It's not. Not nationwide it's not anyway. Maybe a select few areas but that can't exist in 2019 as everyone is echoing the negative experiences so that's all the non-Tesla owners hear.

If I had a dime for every time someone who knows NOTHING about Tesla told me about a guy named Rich on YouTube who's videos told them all they needed to know about Tesla I'd have enough to buy a new Roadster. How Tesla treats it's early adopters and loyal customers now is preventing them from taking massive chunks of the market share and will hurt them immensely going forward.

Try to have a conversation with Amazon about why an amazon prime delivery of something the size of a deck of cards was not delivered to an Amazon locker with the reason “package too large”. Or an item is left on the side of the road leaning against the curb (according to the delivery person photo) saying “left in secure location” and walks away. Or any prime delivery missed the delivery day and all they can offer is “sorry”.

But at least I can be talking to someone from Amazon within minutes. Individual experiences are not always perfect but if I don't like the results I'm getting from one rep I can simply hang up or end the chat session and get another rep almost instantly who will likely fix my issue within moments. I also haven't needed Amazon customer care very often over the years and we have several deliveries per week. They have it worked out. Tesla doesn't have it worked out yet and their solution to endless requests for customer service seems to be making it more difficult for customers to reach customer service. As if that's going to fix the problems.

I want Tesla to succeed and artificially propping them up by acting like everything is fine when it's clearly not is going to usher them to failsville.

yeah but when something goes wrong at amazon it is fixed right away. package missing? they send another immediately. damaged or broken? refunded with no issues. delivery late? they offer compensation or credit. bought something fake from the marketplace? refunded. and the people you talk to actually have the ability to make that happen.

tesla? can't get anyone on the phone, emails not responded to after a week. the minions who respond have no authority to do anything. just a whole lot of BS.

sold you a car advertised at 4.2s but goes 5.5? sorry, we have no idea, can't do sh*t. promised you free supercharging but didn't get it? sorry we have no idea, can't do sh*t. that part you needed to fix your car still not in stock after 3 months? sorry we have no idea when it's in stock, can't do sh*t. changed your delivery date and delivery location 5 times? sorry, we actually have no idea where the car is, can't do sh*t. nasty yellow border on your screen? sorry, we just make bad quality cars and don't give a crap about our customers, can't do sh*t. said you could return the car if you didnt' like it? sorry JUST KIDDING! we have your money, we aren't going to do sh*t.

oh but you can play ****ing asteroids and make idiotic fart sounds in your car. gimme a break.

One of my current favorite service experiences is when they don't -- or they forget to -- turn mobile access off. So when they text you that they are actively working on your car, you can see that it actually hasn't moved out of the parking lot for over 24 hours, has the doors closed, and has an internal temp of like 130F.

On the one hand this is "communication"... but on the other hand, the content of the communication is false. Good service or bad service? It's nuanced, I suppose.

"Some people would rather have cutting edge features in the car...."

And be treated like dirt for spending $100k....

yeah but when something goes wrong at amazon it is fixed right away. package missing? they send another immediately. damaged or broken? refunded with no issues. delivery late? they offer compensation or credit. bought something fake from the marketplace? refunded. and the people you talk to actually have the ability to make that happen.

tesla? can't get anyone on the phone, emails not responded to after a week. the minions who respond have no authority to do anything. just a whole lot of BS.

sold you a car advertised at 4.2s but goes 5.5? sorry, we have no idea, can't do sh*t. promised you free supercharging but didn't get it? sorry we have no idea, can't do sh*t. that part you needed to fix your car still not in stock after 3 months? sorry we have no idea when it's in stock, can't do sh*t. changed your delivery date and delivery location 5 times? sorry, we actually have no idea where the car is, can't do sh*t. nasty yellow border on your screen? sorry, we just make bad quality cars and don't give a crap about our customers, can't do sh*t. said you could return the car if you didnt' like it? sorry JUST KIDDING! we have your money, we aren't going to do sh*t.

oh but you can play ****ing asteroids and make idiotic fart sounds in your car. gimme a break.
I am truly sorry you have had a bad experience with Tesla and I freely admit that you have experienced less than adequate service, you seem unwilling to accept that others have had a very different experience. I hope your issues get addressed but I also stand on the fact that every dealing I have had with Tesla since delivery has been professional, timely, and without reproach.

Dan

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and liuping
I am truly sorry you have had a bad experience with Tesla and I freely admit that you have experienced less than adequate service, you seem unwilling to accept that others have had a very different experience. I hope your issues get addressed but I also stand on the fact that every dealing I have had with Tesla since delivery has been professional, timely, and without reproach.

Dan

The point here is, your experience seems to be the exception and not the norm. I used to be just like you but if history is any indication, one day you'll experience what we're all talking about. I don't discount your opinion or experience, I just sit here and think of how unstoppable Tesla would be if everyone could say the same thing...

Elon doesn't seem to understand this very basic concept of customer service, do right by your customers and they'll do right by you... Amazon gets this, it's always understood this. My best Amazon example, and we buy a LOT on Amazon, was when a pool pump I ordered to replace a failed one didn't show up on it's "guaranteed" delivery date which ruined an entire holiday weekend (pump was large enough it had to be shipped via traditional carrier and not the Amazon vans). How did Amazon handle this? Not only did they refund my entire purchase, they shipped me a second pump for FREE to keep in storage so if this one fails when does arrive, I already have a replacement so no more weekends could be ruined. THAT'S customer service for you. I'm not saying Tesla should give away cars, please don't put those words in my mouth, all I'm saying is there are far better ways to provide customer service than Tesla currently does. Amazon gets this...

Jeff

I have to agree that service has declined. I was told in February that a part needs to be ordered, but no communication until I reached back in May and was told there is no order. However, I was given a print out (that I unfortunately misplaced) of the order. Asked to bring it back in so that they can look at it again. I live 2 hours away and can’t just drop everything to get there.

Tesla has great cars but with poor quality. The plastic trim over the wheel wells constantly are loosening despite being fixed a few times. Small things that add up.

I have had my Model X for almost 2 1/2 years and have been thinking about a new car, but I am not sure if I want another Tesla. There doesn’t seem to be enough improvement in quality.

Looking to hear from others to convince me that another Model X is the way to go. Thank you.

Awesome.

For straightforward service needs, the Tesla App has been adequate, and when mobile service has been utilized, it has been excellent. On the other hand, for service issues warranting interaction and discussion with a Service Advisor, it has mostly been AWFUL! While calling the numbers I have seems to lead to the service location, the calls are unanswered and placed in a queue of unknown length. While call-backs are offered, there is no indication of the wait time for a response.

In my experience, Service Centers have been generous in "comping" service, and in-person folks are quite helpful. My complaint is that the "Use the App" instruction is not up to some of the needs for service, and there is no adequate alternative at this time. There should be a way to 1) reach a service center Service Adviser, 2) have reasonably short wait (or quoted return-call delays), and 3) have enough Service Advisers to meet the demand.

On a related matter, when more subtle issues arrive, and I get a "approve estimate" request, I don't know what my "approval" obligates me (or Tesla) to. E.g., the most recent service issue (for "screech" noises from the front end) led to an appointment date, and an invoice for "diagnosis" (1/2 hr), 2 parts (control arms), but no "Labor" to install, nor mention of alignment. Despite several calls and two call-backs, I have been unable to talk to a Service Adviser who can explain what is supposed to happen.

(Fortunately, there is an "authorized" Tesla shop nearby: They answer the phone; they will provide a quote, and they said an alignment is routinely required with this type of repair.)