Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Damaged New Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite warnings about service center, took model 3 in to San Diego service center - one week after delivery- to address some trim and panel alignment issues, and a couple of other things. When I left the car, the sheet noted that the car had no dings, scratches, or marks. Today I received a call from my advisor notifying me that one of the service center technicians “dinged” the front of the model 3 backing up another vehicle. Car is now scheduled to go to the body shop. Drove down to the SC at lunch to examine the damage. It looks like they clipped the drivers side bumper and slightly dented the frame above it. There is some paint damage, and the frame creaks near the bumper when I press on it, although visually it doesn’t look that bad from a distance. May have damaged the sensors as well, but I didn’t check.

I will be receiving a MS loaner, but just ridiculous that this is what happens to a brand new car when you bring it in.

Thoughts on next steps? Should I claim lost value from damages?

Attachments

• 2309FFB0-EDF8-41CF-8668-92805415FA9A.jpeg
    2309FFB0-EDF8-41CF-8668-92805415FA9A.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 070A6394-238F-4594-A6FE-4C59B4D27EA1.jpeg
    070A6394-238F-4594-A6FE-4C59B4D27EA1.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 162
Since it’s all being handled internally, no one will ever know except you (and us!) ;)

It sucks and I’m sorry that happened but doesn’t look that serious.

You can put miles on the S loaner while they get your car fixed. That’s worth at least $1 per mile in the early part of your new car.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Glad they owned up to it. SC curbed my wheel and if I didn’t call it out when picking up the car and show the fresh debris on the tire, I’d be on the hook for $150 or so to repair it. The are doing the right thing and replacing the wheel eventually.

aghhh. We had our Toyota Avalon in for AC work (3rd time) at a dealership and when we went to pick up the car thankfully we walked around it completely before leaving because they had damaged the side door and molding strip. Dented it and white paint was scratched on the surface where it turns out one of their people hit our car with another car while moving that vehicle (said they found it on the shop's video). Instead of driving it home it ended up in the body shop to remove the dent, repaint and restrip. When we got it back discovered someone had been playing with the radio and blew out the rear speaker. They never would make good on that, they denied doing it and the body shop denied it too. Really frustrating to take your car in and have it returned in worse shape. I feel for you with the new car especially.

Thanks all for helpful responses. Intent was not to make a report to insurance, but to figure out what standard procedure is when dealer damages new car in for service. Yes, service center advisor has been helpful so far, and I'm glad they owned up, but I expect this under these circumstances. Will update once the work is done.

My drivers quarter panel actually squeaks when I press up against it too and mine has no prior damage (that I know of). The passenger side is fine.

Can other press up against their front quarterbpanels and see if they squeak?

. Today I received a call from my advisor notifying me that one of the service center technicians “dinged” the front of the model 3 backing up another vehicle.

If only they put some kinda of sensors or cameras on these cars to prevent that kind of thing!

FWIW when my current (non-tesla) car was a week old and in for a loose dead pedal warranty fix they put a tiny scratch on the door- Made em fix it and also give me the first 2 scheduled maintenances for free as compensation- given the lack of scheduled maintenance on a Tesla though not sure what the equivalent would be.