Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center loaned me a 75D...I love it (comparing Model 3 to Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else go from the 3 to the S?

I like the size of the S, the seats on the S are better (the un-breathability of the 3 seats makes me uncomfortably hot), ride is smoother on the S, steering is less responsive than the 3, and the interior feels a little outdated compared to the 3, but it is a fine car...

I do not like the big steering wheel of the S. I do love the huge screen, but I do not like the instrument panel (prefer the all in one screen of the 3).

I'm thinking about going S. The only reason I wouldn't, is because all the cars in the service centers were either S or X.

I did the same thing, had my Model 3 in for service and they loaned me an S85. Really liked it.
When I did the test drive in the Model X, after I was done they asked if I wanted to take it home for the night, you bet.
A current Raven S (or X) is even better.

I LOVE the dual screens. It's not "busy" at all.

I did like the smaller wheel on the 3. But I love how the X "Breaks" out of AutoSteer so smoothly (instead of jerky on the Model 3).

I ended up swapping for an Raven X. Zero regrets.

Smoother, quieter, more luxurious, nicer seats, goes from 15cu to 88cu of storage.

I would have loved an S (cheaper, faster, nicer looking), but part of my justification was that the "big" Tesla take over the towing vehicle duties.

I had a Performance Model 3 with EAP&FSD and custom color, a (loaded) S (which is standard) isn't all that much more with AP (no FSD).

Lol, that’s because it is. 4 year old wear, technology and build quality. The newer years are more refined.

I think of it as Model S/X have had time fix issues over these years. While the Model 3 is still going through teething pains.
I also think the 3 was a "What can we strip" off the S to make it a CHEAPER car that can sell at 1/3 the price of the S.

Cracked Roofs, Rear Bumpers falling, Water in Trunk, Water in Footwell, Wind Noise from Plastic Triangle that won't stay on, Under liner Ripping off, Lack of insulation, Frozen Windows, Frozen Charge ports. In 3 years or so the Model 3 will be mature, like the S and X is today.

I feel way less likely my car is going to fall apart with the X than the 3. I was literally terrified to hit a modest puddle in the 3.

And I don't panic when I see a speed bump ahead either.

Granted the S and X aren't without issues today too.

I did the same thing, had my Model 3 in for service and they loaned me an S85. Really liked it.
When I did the test drive in the Model X, after I was done they asked if I wanted to take it home for the night, you bet.

I did like the smaller wheel on the 3. But I love how the X "Breaks" out of AutoSteer so smoothly (instead of jerky on the Model 3).

Smoother, quieter, more luxurious, nicer seats, goes from 15cu to 88cu of storage.

I would have loved an S (cheaper, faster, nicer looking), but part of my justification was that the "big" Tesla take over the towing vehicle duties.

I had a Performance Model 3 with EAP&FSD and custom color, a (loaded) S (which is standard) isn't all that much more with AP (no FSD).
I prefer the dual screens as well. I really did not want to look down to the right to monitor things. Plus, the performance MSs are stupid fast and I love stupid fast. LOL

3 owners say the screen is easy getting used to. I'll have to take their word for it, I didn't like it. Did not like the smaller steering wheel, road noise, Mazda 3 looks etc..... I like the 3, did not love it. I cancelled my 3 reservation and will probably get a Y at some point after the kinks are worked out. :)

I'm thinking about going S. The only reason I wouldn't, is because all the cars in the service centers were either S or X.
Noticed the same thing when I took my 3 in to get some minor delivery issues resolved at Costa Mesa. Especially interesting considering the amount of 3s sold vs the amount of S/X sold. I definitely prefer the instrument cluster and seats from the loaner S I had, but the horizontal screen, vehicle size, and tech of the Model 3 win every day in my book.

Noticed the same thing when I took my 3 in to get some minor delivery issues resolved at Costa Mesa. Especially interesting considering the amount of 3s sold vs the amount of S/X sold. I definitely prefer the instrument cluster and seats from the loaner S I had, but the horizontal screen, vehicle size, and tech of the Model 3 win every day in my book.

What Tech does the 3 have that the S/X doesn’t?

It’s mostly what features did they remove from an S to make a 3.

I’d take the adaptive air suspension over the phone as key any day.

Or BioHazard mode over the non functional internal camera.

The heated wheel is probably an even swap for the ventless HVAC on Model 3.

I prefer the few extra manual controls on the S/X like wipers, glove box.

I’d take the quieter less harsh ride for loud nimble and sometimes harsh ride.

I’d rather be in a larger heavier vehicle if in an accident with another vehicle. Mass almost always wins.

Mind sharing financial details of swap from performance 3 to X? Presume you ate some negative equity in the trade.

Mind sharing financial details of swap from performance 3 to X? Presume you ate some negative equity in the trade.

I actually traded my 2017 Jeep Summit (which I didn’t take a bath on) for an X. Sold P3D- for $50k with FSD, 19” Wheels, 10K miles, one year old privately. I feel like I “lost” about $5K. Also bought a 2019 Chevy Volt.

3 owners say the screen is easy getting used to. I'll have to take their word for it, I didn't like it. Did not like the smaller steering wheel, road noise, Mazda 3 looks etc..... I like the 3, did not love it. I cancelled my 3 reservation and will probably get a Y at some point after the kinks are worked out. :)
Not the punchline I was expecting since the Y won’t cure any of those ills save for looks if even that...

I think of it as Model S/X have had time fix issues over these years. While the Model 3 is still going through teething pains.
I also think the 3 was a "What can we strip" off the S to make it a CHEAPER car that can sell at 1/3 the price of the S.

Cracked Roofs, Rear Bumpers falling, Water in Trunk, Water in Footwell, Wind Noise from Plastic Triangle that won't stay on, Under liner Ripping off, Lack of insulation, Frozen Windows, Frozen Charge ports. In 3 years or so the Model 3 will be mature, like the S and X is today.

I feel way less likely my car is going to fall apart with the X than the 3. I was literally terrified to hit a modest puddle in the 3.

And I don't panic when I see a speed bump ahead either.

Granted the S and X aren't without issues today too.
As a former ‘12 S owner, I can confidently say there is far less teething pain with the 3 than with the S.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
What Tech does the 3 have that the S/X doesn’t?

It’s mostly what features did they remove from an S to make a 3.

I’d take the adaptive air suspension over the phone as key any day.

Or BioHazard mode over the non functional internal camera.

The heated wheel is probably an even swap for the ventless HVAC on Model 3.

I prefer the few extra manual controls on the S/X like wipers, glove box.

I’d take the quieter less harsh ride for loud nimble and sometimes harsh ride.

I’d rather be in a larger heavier vehicle if in an accident with another vehicle. Mass almost always wins.

agree with all of your points except the last. The 3 had better IIHS rankings+ significantly lower insurance costs

I would like a softer/air susp. on the 3. I hope they'll offer that on Y

Why not like both; or all three?

I drove and bought a M3. Loved the sporty handling and the size makes it easy to park. The price of admission was right for my first electric car.

Drove the S and if I had $100,000 to spend on an S Class level car for a daily driver. Yep, it does speak to me. It is uber-nice.

Could also use the utility of the X.

Model Y on order.

agree with all of your points except the last. The 3 had better IIHS rankings+ significantly lower insurance costs

I would like a softer/air susp. on the 3. I hope they'll offer that on Y

The Model S was tested back in 2017 by IIHS and never tested the X. And only the 2019 Model 3. Don’t know if the one test that it didn’t do as well on has been rectified or not. Interesting they rated the headlights so poorly though on the S. Very happy with headlight on the X. And pretty picky about those. I assume they are similar to S. Love the cornering lights.

NHTSA rates every Tesla for every year 5 Star.

Given good crash tests I’d rather be in a larger heavier Vehicle any day.

Model X insurance was almost the same as for a Model 3. Given the Model X is so much more money I’d say per dollar of value Model X insurance is cheaper. And Model 3 has gone up for a lot of folks and I suspect it will continue to go up. I think a younger crowd drives the Model 3 up. They also put in lots of small claims. Cracking roof glass will drive it up too. Mark my word, next year Model 3 will go up again.

The S is a larger more comfortable car to drive. I love the extra space in the car. As I get older my body is more adapted to having more space. The downside is it felt almost like a boat. You don't really feel the bumps and there was a lot more body rolls on the turns compare to my Model 3 Performance. If I had a choice between the 2 I will still choose the 3 because of the fun factor but I will go with the S for the space and comfort.