Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center refuses to do anything about paint mismatch on new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First post here. I took delivery of my new white pearl Model Y in the glaring bright sunlight and did not notice the paint mismatch between the plastic and the metal panels. To be honest, I heard this issue was solved by Tesla by now. It is really noticeable in slightly less glaring daylight and in artificial lighting in the garage. I took it into the Service Center for them to look at and they flat out just started giving me the company line about how that is normal. I call BS. The community I live in, everyone seems to own a white Tesla. If I take a walk I usually encounter at least 8 parked Tesla's around the neighborhood. Maybe 1 out of 10 has a slight mismatch but nothing near as bad as mine. The SC refuses to repaint and says that replacing the bumper will possibly end up getting an even worse match. It's 2024 and a few of the posts here are a bit old on the matter, what's my next move? Try another service center? Get a free consultation from a lemon lawyer?
Thanks for any advice.

It's 2024 and a few of the posts here are a bit old on the matter, what's my next move?

I dont think anything has changed as far as Tesla' position on paint issues, so whatever you are finding in the older threads on this topic is probably still relevant.

I think if it were me and I was really upset about it, I would try to get a professional second opinion from a body shop on whether they also agreed with me about the paint mismatch. I would likely go to a Tesla approved third party shop instead of a Tesla one, and If they said they saw the paint mismatch, I would see if I could get them to put it in writing (like with an official quote on what it would take to fix it).

If they didnt see it, or didnt think it was something they could fix, I would probably let it go.

If I could get them to put it in writing I would take that to Tesla and ask for it to be fixed, showing them a quote from a tesla approved body shop that agreed with my opinion that it needed to be fixed (or could be fixed).

Reactions: Steel_Cobb
If they continue to refuse your only viable options are to go to arbitration or small claims court.

If it’s within 30 days of delivery you can opt out of the arbitration clause altogether (act quickly!) following the instructions in your order agreement.

“Paint mismatch” is unlikely to be considered a viable lemon claim in most states.

I dont think anything has changed as far as Tesla' position on paint issues, so whatever you are finding in the older threads on this topic is probably still relevant.

I think if it were me and I was really upset about it, I would try to get a professional second opinion from a body shop on whether they also agreed with me about the paint mismatch. I would likely go to a Tesla approved third party shop instead of a Tesla one, and If they said they saw the paint mismatch, I would see if I could get them to put it in writing (like with an official quote on what it would take to fix it).

If they didnt see it, or didnt think it was something they could fix, I would probably let it go.

If I could get them to put it in writing I would take that to Tesla and ask for it to be fixed, showing them a quote from a tesla approved body shop that agreed with my opinion that it needed to be fixed (or could be fixed).
Paint mismatch isn't the only issue they refuse to address. There is one gap on one side of the car that is almost twice as wide as the same gap on the other. Tesla is saying it's within spec. Its BS. Crazy to me the amount of gaslighting they've been doing.

If they continue to refuse your only viable options are to go to arbitration or small claims court.

If it’s within 30 days of delivery you can opt out of the arbitration clause altogether (act quickly!) following the instructions in your order agreement.

“Paint mismatch” is unlikely to be considered a viable lemon claim in most states.
This is all solid advice. I have about 9 more days until I reach 30 days from delivery. I live in California so I was once told we have the most consumer leaning lemon laws in the country. I am currently trying to talk to a lawyer. I'll share what comes out of that. Is arbitration that bad? How much of a disadvantage am I at?

This is all solid advice. I have about 9 more days until I reach 30 days from delivery. I live in California so I was once told we have the most consumer leaning lemon laws in the country. I am currently trying to talk to a lawyer. I'll share what comes out of that. Is arbitration that bad? How much of a disadvantage am I at?

@ucmndd is in CA as well, as am I. I dont think lemon laws are going to cover a panel gap or paint mismatch, though.

Reactions: SSonnentag
@ucmndd is in CA as well, as am I. I dont think lemon laws are going to cover a panel gap or paint mismatch, though.
My understanding is that paint is one of the most important factors in resale/market value. Repeated refusals to fix this manufacturing defect that will diminish the market value is considered a failed attempt of the car seller to fix the issue. So if I make three more request at a service center and get three more refusals I will be at four attempts and can invoke lemon laws. I will speak to a couple lemon lawyers from CA in the next couple of days to see how this goes and definitely report back.

Paint mismatch isn't the only issue they refuse to address. There is one gap on one side of the car that is almost twice as wide as the same gap on the other. Tesla is saying it's within spec. Its BS. Crazy to me the amount of gaslighting they've been doing.
You’d have to know the spec to call BS, it might well be within spec, that’s not your call. It’s an average priced car these days, it’s not a luxury or exotic marque. There are uneven panel gaps on almost every other make/model car in the MY price range if you really look closely. Tesla brought in on themselves back in 2017-18 with poor quality control - but many buyers have unreasonable expections now as a result, for a $50K-ish car. They aren’t obligated to address anything and everything a buyer might want.

It’s not their fault you accepted the car without closer inspection, that’s on you, bright sun or not.

You’d have to know the spec to call BS, it might well be within spec, that’s not your call. It’s an average priced car these days, it’s not a luxury or exotic marque. There are uneven panel gaps on almost every other make/model car in the MY price range if you really look closely. Tesla brought in on themselves back in 2017-18 with poor quality control - but many buyers have unreasonable expections now as a result, for a $50K-ish car. They aren’t obligated to address anything and everything a buyer might want.

It’s not their fault you accepted the car without closer inspection, that’s on you, bright sun or not.
Thank you for your opposing view and unwarranted attack. I am sure your Tesla benefactor appreciates your unbiased trolling.

• Disagree
Paint mismatch between metal and plastic parts is nothing new and happens with every brand. Some colors are more noticeable than others (typically lighter colors). The flex agent needed in the plastic parts will alter the color a slight amount.

They likely won’t do anything because even after a body shop repaint it will not be much better. Could even be worse. A body shop repaint also usually is not as good as factory paint (as bad as factory paint might be).

As far as panel gaps, Tesla just seems to have a very loose “spec” unfortunately. Essentially if it’s not rubbing on another part causing damage or leaking water then it’s “within spec”.