Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service issues finally caught up to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read about the bad service. Up till now my experiances have been pretty good. I started having problems with the screen on my 2015 85D constantly rebooting. Called roadside assistance and after going thru some re-boots they told me to schedule a mobile service on the app. 4 days after scheduling they call and state it must go to the SC. Since I cannot get an appt in a reasonable time I drive to the Dublin SC. It died at the SC. Screen went black and it would not go into drive. Then I get the news that they have no loaners and parts are at least 2 weeks out for an MCU. Fail on a few points. Why did they wait 4 days to tell me it needed to go to the SC and the mobile repair could not help? Why are they charging me $200 to replace a part that is known to be a point of failure? (luckily I did get the extended warrenty) Why no loaner? As other have stated, this was promissed at time of purchased. Very poor service that does not make one want to purchase from TESLA in the future.

Sorry to hear about your issues...sounds like a huge inconvenience. This is one of the reasons I will continue to hold back purchasing a Tesla until they figure out their service issues. Especially since the nearest service center to me is 1.5 hours away.

I guess it depends.

I’m 3 hours away from the nearest service center. Had my car for over 3 years and 44k miles. Haven’t had to bring it in to a service center yet. Will do so one time before the warranty expires.

I’m glad I didn’t “not” by one out of fear of possibly maybe one day potentially having an issue. The daily joy of owning that car far exceeds the worry.

its interesting how people see the value of money. I guess if you are very well off, the value of a dollar is quite different from those of us who work every day for a living.

but I find it very odd that people could pay $100k for a car and make ANY excuses for the company or dealership. then again, maybe those who have the ability to justify and afford such a 'house priced thing on wheels' - probably don't think twice about having one of their admins (lol) rent them a car and pick them up. if you're a ceo or vp, I guess you just laugh stuff like this off.

but for the market segment that struggled to justify and afford that kind of price tag - and to be told no loaners and many things would be given just once as a goodwill, but repeated failures will cost - that will kill a lot of the market for these vehicles.

unless tesla wants to sell ONLY mid priced cars, they better start treating the high rollers a bit better.

once lucid (et al) come out with their car, the whole playing field will be changed and tesla will finally have competition.

First off, I feel for the person stuck without wheels, when a loaner would be courteous under the circumstances.

Second, I would point out that many dealership service centres don't give loaners. Loaners seem to have fallen by the wayside in favour of a courtesy shuttle home or to work. Dealers and competition are not a panacea for breakdowns, and are often just a nicely packaged means to rip off and gouge their marks.. ahem.. customers. And a dealership with a smile does not improve a lacklustre car that requires frequent scheduled service... unless you crave the "genuine" human interaction of a dealer staff who you pay dearly to be nice to you.

Thirdly, although some Tesla service experiences suck (although mine have been great), some people are willing to temporarily overlook the obvious growing pains of a startup company like Tesla with a superior product, but without a decades old dealer/service infrastructure.

I have had a couple of Audi's. Always get a loaner and all experiances have been good so far. As far as Uber credits, yes I did get them. However, it covers the drive only. Not tips. Unless you want to stiff someone barely making minimum wage those costs are on you. This adds up pretty quickly.

I've never expected a loaner from any manufacturer I have bought cars from in the past, though I have gotten them here or there. Historically I have tended to have a third car around I can drive instead, and I feel like I've had good luck dropping my car off for service and not placing any expectations on turn around time. I have a backup car, so get to my car when you can get to it. Seems like they're more likely to try and fit my car in if I didn't ask them to commit to a certain day or time.

IMO the more red carpet rolled out to me for anything, the more I start to wonder how much margin is built into the service or the product itself. How much extra are you paying if a service center is maintaining insurance / depreciation on 10, 20 or 30 loaner vehicles for their service customers? I don't know but its something I wonder about.

I work in IT. If some piece of hardware is important to operations, we get service level agreements (which we pay more for) and/or keep spares on hand. Paying extra for this allows the flexibility to pay less for hardware that doesn't need 100% uptime, yet still maintain service for hardware that does need 100% uptime.

I guess I have always felt the same way about cars (and other things people tend to expect 100% availability of). If you absolutely *must have a car* (which honestly, most people do), it seems to me it would be better to have items like a loaner car during service explicitly in writing, that you know you paid more for, or you take care of it yourself by "keeping a spare". My spare cars have just been an older, paid off car, I don't feel I am put out much by this. On the surface I'd rather pay less for a car than get some kind white glove treatment, but I admit I do not know the details on how much it would actually cost a service center to maintain a small fleet of loaner cars.

Reactions: pilotSteve
There's at least a dozen dealerships around me, if one doesn't want my business another one will. You'd be hard pressed to find any area in america that doesn't have more than one dealership for any particular brand.
Having more does not equal automatic good service......and tesla is not your typical dealership (showrooms). There business model is different and people for some reason cant stand it when a company does it differently than the other companies....

And they hate doing warranty work because they don't get paid much for it. They prioritize out-of-warranty work.
Mechanics or technicians get paid the same whether it's in/out of warranty. Tesla is in the business to make money not just give it away. If it's a warranty repair it should be covered but if it's out of warranty then they can charge what they like and either we pay or we don't. Can you really blame a company for wanting to make money or should they just cover everything on every car for free just because you think it's a good idea?