TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Setting charge on and off times from the touchscreen

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Merrill, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I know this subject has been discussed many times, but I need someone to clarify the ability to set on and off times from the touchscreen. If you go to the you charging portion of the Tesla web site and click on charging at night it specifically says you came program the charging on and off times to take advantage of potentially lower rates. Did I miss something or is this new. Everything I have read up to this point says that on and off times from the touchscreen was not yet available.

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I hear 4.3 has timed charging available from the touchscreen. But I'm still running 4.2 so it's just hearsay.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There was a picture posted in another thread of the 4.3 screen. However, I don't think 4.3 has started to be pushed out yet. Probably early next month.

4. strider

strider Active Member

As the others have said, this is simply a case of Marketing getting ahead of Engineering. Completely normal in Silicon Valley.

5. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

Any update on this? I can't find a way to set up for TOU metering (define a charging time window - start at 9PM stop at 7 AM)

6. Tommy

Tommy Member

The current 4.5 version has a start time for charging but no stop time. Your off peak window is 10 hours which is more than ample time to completely charge the S with a 14-50 outlet.

In my case, I have a 5 hour window with a super low rate and I like my charging to be just completed at the end of the window so the car does not sit long with a fully charged battery before I use it. I suspect that is what you are trying to accomplish as well. This is the solution I came up with: I created a crib sheet showing the amperage needed in 15 mile intervals so the car is fully charged at the end of the 5 hours.

Example:
    Miles Remaining Amperage
    80 miles 40
    95 miles 36
    110 miles 32
    125 miles 28
    140 miles 24
    165 miles 20
    185 miles 16

When I pull in the garage for the night, I set my charging screen to the amperage need based on my remaining miles on the battery and plug in, knowing that my charging will start at midnight and be completed very close to 5 am the next morning.

With a 10 hour window you have a lot of flexibility with your start time and should be able to work out an amperage that competes your charging very near 7 am.

Hope this helps.