Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting charge on and off times from the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this subject has been discussed many times, but I need someone to clarify the ability to set on and off times from the touchscreen. If you go to the you charging portion of the Tesla web site and click on charging at night it specifically says you came program the charging on and off times to take advantage of potentially lower rates. Did I miss something or is this new. Everything I have read up to this point says that on and off times from the touchscreen was not yet available.

Any update on this? I can't find a way to set up for TOU metering (define a charging time window - start at 9PM stop at 7 AM)

The current 4.5 version has a start time for charging but no stop time. Your off peak window is 10 hours which is more than ample time to completely charge the S with a 14-50 outlet.

In my case, I have a 5 hour window with a super low rate and I like my charging to be just completed at the end of the window so the car does not sit long with a fully charged battery before I use it. I suspect that is what you are trying to accomplish as well. This is the solution I came up with: I created a crib sheet showing the amperage needed in 15 mile intervals so the car is fully charged at the end of the 5 hours.

Example:
Miles Remaining Amperage
80 miles 40
95 miles 36
110 miles 32
125 miles 28
140 miles 24
165 miles 20
185 miles 16

When I pull in the garage for the night, I set my charging screen to the amperage need based on my remaining miles on the battery and plug in, knowing that my charging will start at midnight and be completed very close to 5 am the next morning.

With a 10 hour window you have a lot of flexibility with your start time and should be able to work out an amperage that competes your charging very near 7 am.

Hope this helps.