Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting of on North Coast 500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow I'm setting off from Edinburgh for a 5 day trip round the North Coast 500 in my M3 SR+.

I've seen parts of it done by a few others in a M3, but attempting the full route counterclockwise (looks easily doable). Depending on WiFi I'll try and post as often I can here and on my twitter @JosiahLockhart about charge points and the route if people are interested.

Interested in your trip. Someone did the same think recently and live tweeted. I will see if I can find a link. They did link me in to the app Need to Charge as they got locked out of a charging point when they were in relatively desperate need. Have fun and I hope you get some decent weather. Most of the west coast views will be missing if our current stuff keeps up. I’ve done this in a motorhome and on a motorbike. Applecross and the Bealach nam ba (?) offer a bit of fun

I'd be very interested to read about your experiences too. Doesn't have to be a live feed:)

I've done the London to Edinburgh return trip a couple of times now in my Model 3, but that's pretty routine nowadays using the superchargers on the way, and I've also spent a few days in the more rural parts of the Scottish Borders with the car, using ChargePlace Scotland for charging. Hoping to take my family on a 1-2 week trip around the Highlands next summer though, possibly including a ferry to the Shetland Islands for a few days, or failing that a day or two to Orkney, so definitely interested in other experiences.

Reactions: freekie
Heading up to Achiltibuie on Sunday too (just off the NC500). Have a good drive and watch for the average speed cameras on the A9! As far as I can tell they don't run on the duel carridge way sections in you need to make progress ;-)

Will be an SC top-up and lunch at the Italian in Avimore for us, then UMC'ing at my parents tho. Looks like Ullapool has 2 chargeplace Scotland places btw - one at the ferry terminal charges, and the CSS feed looks bust. One in the main carpark at tescos is free and working.

I don't think there is any point taking the type 2 cable is there? all the chargeplace and destination chargers are tethered right?

Thank for the well wishes.... Todays journey (in about an hour) is from Edinburgh to Brora by way of the Black Isle. Planned Charging stops at Aviemore Supercharge and Tain's Chargeplace Scotland...

Heading up to Achiltibuie on Sunday too (just off the NC500). Have a good drive and watch for the average speed cameras on the A9! As far as I can tell they don't run on the duel carridge way sections in you need to make progress ;-)

Will be an SC top-up and lunch at the Italian in Avimore for us, then UMC'ing at my parents tho. Looks like Ullapool has 2 chargeplace Scotland places btw - one at the ferry terminal charges, and the CSS feed looks bust. One in the main carpark at tescos is free and working.

I don't think there is any point taking the type 2 cable is there? all the chargeplace and destination chargers are tethered right?

I'll miss you at Achiltibuie, I won't make it that way until Tuesday. There are loads of Charge place scotland chargers about the route and often multiples. The only place there is an extended section without any is between Torrindon and Inverness (111 mi).

As far as the type 2... According to Zap Map and the CPS website, they all are teathered. That being said, I live off of the CPS chargers and not all have tethered connections. I'm going to take my type2 cable with me (and my granny lead) as a backup.

Reactions: Avendit

I was in my Model 3 2 weeks ago in Achiltibuie visiting family. Travelled from Newcastle area. Stopped at Perth supercharger on both legs, so wouldn’t worry about range, unless you have SR+. (Departed at 100% in LR). Model 3 is great on the main track leading to Achiltibuie! (When the sheep aren’t in the way).

Didn’t get a chance to try the chargers in Ullapool as Loopallu festival was on, so it was rammed.

Correct about A9 - no cameras on Dual carriageway sections.

User@EVMaps on twitter done the NC500 recently in his M3. Some very through threads ref charging and other niggles. Definitely worth checking out.

Enjoy

Two days in and so far has been smooth sailing. Perfect weather. Set off Edinburgh and made it from 91% down to 28% charge in Aviemore. EXTREMELY fast supercharge. Abother short top up from 48% to 83% in Dornoch (staying near by).

Today was a very beautiful day. A few issues with blindspot awareness warnings due to low morning sun shining in the cameras.

Top up in Wick for about 15min to 80ish and arrived this eve in Melvich with just under 60% and currently sitting at that charger topping up before bed.

Have had Zero issue with the Chageplace Scotland chargers. Even the ones I was worried about from Zapmap. I have an RF Card for the machines, and maybe that helps, but all have worked first time. The one I'm currently at seems to have had last 3 Zap Map people say it wasnt working.

I'll do a more detailed summary when I'm back in Edinburgh, but so far so good... And yes, I'm in a SR+
IMG_20191013_114140.jpg
IMG_20191013_095108.jpg

Thanks for this thread! Hoping to do this trip starting from Nottingham in my Model X this coming October. (if it arrives by October)
I can’t imagine the trip would change too much in a MX compared to a M3?
Thanks again.
The X will be pretty large on the single track, would be my biggest concern TBH! All the fast chargers are CSS or chademo, or I think 22kwAC. Spend some time on abetterrouteplanner.com to check you can do the legs you want on the avaliable connections.

And take all your stuff/litter etc home. Real problem round the NC 500 this year cause of lockdown and people wild camping or overflowing the avaliable sites and hotels etc. and the locals are getting really really pissed off at it. We are talking camper vans emptying their bogs at the road side, used nappies just getting left, popup festival tents being dumped and so on.

So take your time, spend some money with the locals, don't just blast through, and stick to the country side code.

(Not saying any of this is you btw nandol97! Just using an opportunity to publicise a problem that could ultimately lead to the end of things like the NC500)

Reactions: pow216 and Adopado
Errr Do you think that's wise, Sir?
Yes I know there are tethered chargers etc but when you are stuck and the only charger is at Tesco...
Just saying...
At the time I had yet to encounter an untethered charger (that post is months old), and I've still only seen one. Still an open question for those heading round the whole coast. The cyc's don't mostly need them, destinations don't need them and SC's do t need them. Definitely don't need one to ullapool, past that people should check.

We are talking camper vans emptying their bogs at the road side, used nappies just getting left, popup festival tents being dumped and so on.

I'm glad we are not on the NC500 ... the virus inspired wild camping brigade have left their *sugar* covered toilet paper blowing in the wind (for locals to pick out of the bushes) not far from where we are ... I must admit it makes me feel sorry for the Spanish resorts which normally have to look after Britain's finest over the summer. Thankfully they only tend to be here at weekends.

[that's interesting... the forum software automatically translated the word I actually used!]

At the time I had yet to encounter an untethered charger (that post is months old), and I've still only seen one. Still an open question for those heading round the whole coast. The cyc's don't mostly need them, destinations don't need them and SC's do t need them. Definitely don't need one to ullapool, past that people should check.
Always better to have and not need than need and not have.

Tomorrow I'm setting off from Edinburgh for a 5 day trip round the North Coast 500 in my M3 SR+.

I've seen parts of it done by a few others in a M3, but attempting the full route counterclockwise (looks easily doable). Depending on WiFi I'll try and post as often I can here and on my twitter @JosiahLockhart about charge points and the route if people are interested.
Two days in and so far has been smooth sailing. Perfect weather. Set off Edinburgh and made it from 91% down to 28% charge in Aviemore. EXTREMELY fast supercharge. Abother short top up from 48% to 83% in Dornoch (staying near by).

Today was a very beautiful day. A few issues with blindspot awareness warnings due to low morning sun shining in the cameras.

Top up in Wick for about 15min to 80ish and arrived this eve in Melvich with just under 60% and currently sitting at that charger topping up before bed.

Have had Zero issue with the Chageplace Scotland chargers. Even the ones I was worried about from Zapmap. I have an RF Card for the machines, and maybe that helps, but all have worked first time. The one I'm currently at seems to have had last 3 Zap Map people say it wasnt working.

I'll do a more detailed summary when I'm back in Edinburgh, but so far so good... And yes, I'm in a SR+View attachment 465666 View attachment 465668

I have just spent a week around Oban after travelling up from Oban in my SR+, and unfortunately had continual problems with Charge Place Scotland Chargers.

In Inveraray, Oban and Arisaig I could not charge using CCS and had to use the AC type 2 connection (limited to 11-12KW). None of the CCS connections would work with a recurring issue of the charge port flashing orange and making a clicking sound. I did manage to connect to the CCS at Glencoe Mountain resort and as such presume it was an issue with the Chargers rather than the car....?

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have just spent a week around Oban after travelling up from Oban in my SR+, and unfortunately had continual problems with Charge Place Scotland Chargers.

In Inveraray, Oban and Arisaig I could not charge using CCS and had to use the AC type 2 connection (limited to 11-12KW). None of the CCS connections would work with a recurring issue of the charge port flashing orange and making a clicking sound. I did manage to connect to the CCS at Glencoe Mountain resort and as such presume it was an issue with the Chargers rather than the car....?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Were you using the app or the RFID card? Some people find a difference if comms are poor.