TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Settings for sleep

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ronist, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Ronist

Ronist Member

I had to take a nap in my car recently and wanted to find the best settings which will reserve the most energy while I sleep. I already have a driver profile called "Sleep", which moves the chair rearward to create more legroom. It also flattens the back and tilt the steering wheel up a bit. That's all driver profile can do, but I didn't stop there. Here's what I also did:

- Disable both gadgets in the dashboard.
    - Folded side-mirrors.
    - Locked the car.
    - Change heated seat to max level.
    - Lowered the brightness of the 17" display, then put it in cleaning mode.

I'm not sure what's the best settings for A/C. I just set the fan speed to 2 and everything else Auto.

Is there anything else could be done?

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Play Barry White on Rdio.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

I hope you don't believe that most of those have any bearing on "reserving the most energy"... sure, for your comfort, but the only things there that affect energy use are the increased use on the seat, and the effectively imperceptible change in power consumption by the lower brightness of the 17"

If you really want to use less energy as you stated, the only relevant things are turn down the temperature and put on a blanket (maybe use more seat heater and less cabin heat)
    All the rest is comfort, not power use.

4. Ronist

Ronist Member

@green1, the display settings were meant to be discrete and catch less attention while I sleep, as there is no settings to turn off the display while I'm inside.

5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Does anyone sleep in the passenger seat?

I did that because I didn't want the screens on. Of course I do believe the HVAC will turn off after 30 minutes unless I use some app to keep turning it back on.

6. stoneskid

stoneskid Member

I usually put the back seats down and sleep in the trunk.

7. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

i sleep in either back seat or inflatable mattress on top of folded back seats.
    love it. free hotel!

8. Ronist

Ronist Member

To answer my own question, actually Bjorn has this topic covered:
    Bjørns Tesla Model S #7: Sleeping in The Car - YouTube

What he does in order to prevent the HVAC from shutting down after 30 minutes, is to put the car in N gear instead of Park, then engage the Parking break manually.

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Sit in the passenger seat and lock the car. The display will turn off. Then turn on the HVAC using the app.

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I call this drive-in mode. Note that you can't also charge in this configuration. If you want to charge and also keep the HVAC on, the remote S iOS app has a camp mode which sends HVAC off and on commands every 30 minutes.