Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Several malfunctions on P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning when I got into my car I had a malfunction message saying my parking brake was not working or not able to turn off. I did the two button reset however now I noticed that my back up camera is not working, neither is my gps is frozen, lines and other objects not showing up on the virtual display and finally there is a load humming noise coming from the car? Any ideas? I have done the two button and brake pedal reset and not luck. I tried turning the car off in the service option however I don't think it turns off because the noise never stops. Please help.

Certainly schedule service this might prompt someone to remote into the car sooner than you think

I am more mechanically inclined than most and if in your position I might disconnect disconnect the 12volt to force a reboot.
Suspect the humming might be coolant pump running continuously.

Maybe you should contact Tesla and schedule a service call as it sounds like a mountain of issues have arisen for you? I don't mean to sound redundant, but this litany of issues may be symptomatic of a larger challenge. Personally I have found Tesla fairly responsive, but YMMV.
Everything happened at the same time. I scheduled an appointment however the first available is not until the end of the month.

Will not impact warranty if you don't break anything along the way. If you just disconnect negative terminal it should be easy and nothing broken. I would search YouTube.

I specify negative terminal because when disconnecting batteries you start there because if your wrench touches another part of the car while on negative nothing happens. If you have a wrench on positive and touch a metal part of the car it will arc to ground...... Which would probably be a bit of sparks and a startle for you but could potentially damage things.

Ridiculous. WTF is wrong with the customer service aspect of Tesla, and why can't they get it together?
Tesla can’t get customer service to be reasonable because they are far too focused in producing and selling as many cars as possible - mainly to get favorable reactions from Wall St. Not only is servicing cars often a low priority, but the service centers are likely now still fixing “goofs” from the rush to build and deliver Q4 2019 cars.

Instead of randomly scheduling service problems, Tesla should put in place a “triage-like” system where the cars that are in serious trouble get immediate attention. If someone has a car that is clearly broken and will not turn off, Tesla needs mechanisms in place to service that car sooner than later. An app is not suitable for scheduling these things. You need a real “live”person with enough understanding to know that this problem can’t wait until the end of the month.

Tesla has us in a situation where only they can service these cars - and they need to understand that they need to take care of that. I don’t think its advisable for any owner to attempt to fix this problem themselves. It can hurt the car and hurt themselves.

To the OP ... good luck!

This morning when I got into my car I had a malfunction message saying my parking brake was not working or not able to turn off. I did the two button reset however now I noticed that my back up camera is not working, neither is my gps is frozen, lines and other objects not showing up on the virtual display and finally there is a load humming noise coming from the car? Any ideas? I have done the two button and brake pedal reset and not luck. I tried turning the car off in the service option however I don't think it turns off because the noise never stops. Please help.

I might take a quick look under the rear wheel areas, and see if the parking brake electric connections are loose, disconnected. Could even been rodent damage, knowing these mountains. There's only one set of wires that go to the caliper, so it should be pretty obvious.

Brian: you would thing that in the cars third year of production the cars systems would be more sorted out. So you stop at a Service center and explain your issue. They are show concern & compassion for your issues. But the Tech can not find it?? So Then comes the questions. Date it happen ,At What mileage , What time , was it twilight sunsetting on the Right B Pillar. ?? They want you to be part of the investigation team . They know whats up. A whistle or buzzing from the Screen, Data on the screen is frozen , Music streaming stops. Screen goes blank / black, but the car still drives & functions. It comes back about 3 minuets later and all is well. I cann't tell how many times this as happened. Now the good part. If they get a grip on it. it may just be a simple firmware download. Cheers Hang in there. _PTE_

I checked out my flash drive and noticed that no cameras are working. This is probably the reason the back up camera, auto steer, cruise control, etc. are deactivated. The GPS still shows I am home. I did receive a warning to charge my battery imidiatly to avoid running out of juice or damaging the battery. I just super charged the car thinking it might snap the car out of what ever it is doing so it had plenty of juice left which makes me think it is a software issue setting off false codes. I also notice the non stop noise coming from under the hood near the windshield eventually stops when you leave the car but then starts again as soon as the door is open and continues to run in both the software reboot and turning the car off. I called roadside and they were helpful but in the end told me to call the 800# on Monday when the service people are in to see what can be done over the airwaves or move my appointment time up.

Last edited:
I tried turning the car off in the service option however I don't think it turns off because the noise never stops. Please help.
The brake pedal reset is not a thing on the 3. That is only on S/X.
  • Open the door
  • Without sitting in the car (just lean in, and don't put your weight on the seat) perform the Safety & Security / Power Off shutdown
  • Leave the door open
  • Wait until the door locks (3-5 minutes) and it is shut down
Just sitting on the seat can prevent the car from properly shutting down.

I'm with the folks who have said you should call roadside though. Your car is in a non-driveable condition. That is how you get priority at the service center.

Makes me wonder how many of us will handle issues with our Tesla when the warranty ends. Especially if the car won't drive and you're hours from a Tesla service center. These are some of the issues with a software based vehicle. And while anyone can work on a Tesla, they just can't get parts directly from Tesla. So we're either forced to buy a new Tesla just to keep a warranty or not buying another Tesla.

Ridiculous. WTF is wrong with the customer service aspect of Tesla, and why can't they get it together?

It seems that way because people don't understand how the service scheduling works. The in-app scheduling is an automated process. The app just looks at a calendar and puts you in an opening. If you need immediate assistance for something, like your car wont start/drive, then you call roadside assistance and they send someone out to give you a tow.

It's setup this way to save money. They don't need to pay a team of people to sit around and schedule appointments for random junk. They DO pay people to sit around and help when there is an actual emergency.

They might need to do a better job at educating people on what to do when something goes wrong. Logging into a private forum and asking for help instead of calling Tesla direct isn't the right thing to do.