Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shall I have the collision repair at a random body shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I caused some damage on my Tesla. I watched some videos on youtube, all those owners had terrible bills paying for repairing, something like $6000-9000, I'm not sure if my insurance will cover it.
Since my damage is not that serious, just wonder if a normal body shop can fix it? And their price maybe cheaper compared to Tesla certificated body shop?

Thank you

Recently, I caused some damage on my Tesla. I watched some videos on youtube, all those owners had terrible bills paying for repairing, something like $6000-9000, I'm not sure if my insurance will cover it.
Since my damage is not that serious, just wonder if a normal body shop can fix it? And their price maybe cheaper compared to Tesla certificated body shop?

Thank you
Not all body shops are approved to be Tesla repair shops. They need to be on Tesla's list of approved body shops in order to even be eligible to purchase replacements parts from Tesla.

I have a favorite and well established body shop I've used a few times on previous cars but it turned out not to be on Tesla's approved list. They said they wouldn't touch the car. So I found one that was and although the price was not cheap, it wasn't out of order - nothing close to $6,000. They did beautiful work repairing the rear-end collision I had on my Model 3. I'm very picky about repair work and especially paint. I couldn't tell what they had repaired and painted when I got the car back (until I reviewed the repair order).

I recommend doing a little research and looking for good reviews on Tesla approved shops in your area.

Last edited:
Honestly, regardless of the damage, I'd say NO. I've made mistakes by taking cars to off the radar body shops who did HORRIBLE jobs and I had to pay to have the car repaired properly.

However, if its a Tesla approved body shop then yes.

I have a local body shop that is excellent - BUT in the future will only use them for minor work on my Tesla.

- If a local shop needs parts, Tesla is AWFUL about servicing them. Those stories of 3-6 month waits for basic parts? All real. I waited 3 months for some front fascia parts after a deer + car incident... and in a separate instance 4 months for a rear trunk part after a car backed into mine in a parking lot.

- If the local shop is certified for working on aluminum vehicles (which includes some trucks now so more common that it used to be) for “regular” body work ( a nasty parking ding dent in a door) they can do excellent, fast work much more reasonably than a Tesla certified shop. Getting the paint isn’t an issue.

Net: In the future - if I need parts, I will use a Tesla certified shop. For dings and fixes, aluminum body work certification and a good reputation can be enough.

The only difference between taking it to a approved body shop and your preferred shop is that you will have to purchase the parts yourself rather than the body shop doing it on your behalf.
Except the some shops will not perform repairs on Teslas as a matter of policy because they want full control over purchasing parts and repair. That's why I couldn't take my Tesla in for repair at my preferred shop.

Depends on what the damage is. Someone experienced with aluminum can handle many dents, and paint damage can be handled by most. If you need autopilot sensors adjusted, you’ll need to visit the service center afterwards.
PM me if you want first hand experience and recommendation