TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Shameful Aerowheel noise at low speeds

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Devanish, May 24, 2018.

1. Devanish

Devanish Member

So it's been a very fun first day for this Team Pearl White member who finally "became a man" today. And while all of the salacious tales that have sustained me through the cold lonely months, nay, years of my proverbial pubescence have proven to be true.....there is one disconcerting thing that none of the older kids told me might happen :(
    This afternoon, there I was, creeping up behind some oblivious pedestrians in a shopping center, making zero engine noise....well at least I thought I was creeping. Turns out they were able to hear my TM3 due to the embarrassing plasticy squeaking noise coming from all 4 aerowheels (presumably the covers themselves). It's very audible with the windows down from 15 mph and under. Has anyone heard of this, or is it one of those shameful taboo secrets we should never speak of?

• Informative x 1
  2. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

It gets better with time.

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

This is a feature. It obviates the need for the low-speed pedestrian warning noise maker that will soon be required for EVs. ;)

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  4. Devanish

Devanish Member

Well there might be a big copyright lawsuit coming because it sounds like Gremlins™

5. TexasTeslaRacing

Mine does the same thing too! Service center added felt to the inside of rim cover. Reduced the noise a bit but it still makes the sound. It is annoying.

6. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Wait what? Can a brotha get a wav. file up in this mug?

• Funny x 6
  7. TexasTeslaRacing

I’ll try to get it tomorrow. What’s happening is the removable plastic aero cap is rubing against the wheel.

8. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

Hope that won't interfere with the calmic rhythms emenating from my cool Spokey Dokeys

9. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

How hard could it really be to add a suite of sounds to the software for this? I'd love to download my own sounds too. C'mon, it must be a piece of cake. What sound would everybody use? A growling dog? A polite English voice saying, "step aside, please"? Or, for downtown Nashville jaywalking bridal parties, "Get the f**k out of my way!!"?

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. brobinson

brobinson Member

I've had my car for a few days and the covers make a very subtly creaking noise at low speed. It's like the plastic is flexing or wearing in. I removed all of them and re-secured them and it seems to have helped a little, but it's still there.

11. Devanish

Devanish Member

I removed them all and resecured them too. All it did was get my hands dirty :( But yes, that is a very good description, it sounds like the covers are flexing and rubbing against the wheels as they rotate. I will examine the covers carefully this weekend and make a trip to Home Depot. Perhaps there is some sort of rubber gromet or $50K-car-duct tape that I can buy.

12. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Mine are dead silent. Of course they are sitting on the ground in my garage :p

• Funny x 11
  13. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

In what 'shopping center' did this take place?

If it was Tysons Galleria, than --- rather than your wheels --- it was probably the pedestrians' credit cards rubbing together in their leather pants.

If it was the Springfield Town Center, than --- rather than your wheels --- it was probably the pedestrians' guns rubbing in their holsters.

• Funny x 3
  14. Devanish

Devanish Member

You've managed to make me simultaneously weep and laugh.

15. arcus

arcus Active Member

Drive faster - problem solved :p

16. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

don't seem to have the issue on my car, but for those with the squeak, i wonder if if dry graphite lube might fix this.

• Helpful x 1
  17. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

How prevalent is this among owners?

If the noise is coming from the plastic cover rubbing against the metal wheel, I wonder if spraying a few coats of plasti-dip onto the inside face of the cover where it contacts the perimeter of the rim would help.

If it's coming from the metal clips rubbing on the metal wheel, @novox77 's idea of adding lube might help. I suppose plasti-dip could help here too, but idk.

If it's coming from interface between the plastic and the metal clips, a dry spray-on lube again might help.

• Helpful x 1
  18. RayK

RayK Member

A can of WD-40 could probably take care of that.

19. Devanish

Devanish Member

But then after a few washes or rain days you are back to square one. I don't want to setup an Amazon Dash button for WD-40 :(

• Funny x 1
  20. drawfour

drawfour Member

What kind of material are the Aeros made out of? WD-40 doesn't play well with some plastics.