Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing Dryer Outlet Needs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm renting, so not going to install dedicated charging line right now. I will share with the dryer outlet.

Reading previous threads, sounds like I need to buy a NEMA 14-30 Tesla adapter, and then in order not to be pull cables in and out all the time, a Dryer Buddy.

Are there any other options?

I'm an idiot, just checked for the first time and it is 10-30. Is this an issue with overheating risk?
No. It's the same amperage, just different arrangement of neutral/ground (14-30 has separate neutral and ground; 10-30 only has a neutral). The Tesla mobile connector has GFCI protection built in, so the "ground" actually being a neutral isn't really a problem.

To be clear, there are different versions of the Buddy. The kind that "convert" the 10-30 or 14-30 into a 14-50 are the ones that are dangerous, because they make the car think that it can pull 40 amps from the 30 amp circuit. Yes, you can dial-down the car's charging current in the car's settings, but that's risky because the setting can get reset (software updates have been known to do that).

So, as long as you are using the 10-30 or 14-30 adapter on the end of your UMC, the car will know the right current to charge at. Then pick a Buddy configuration that allows your 10-30 wall plug to be shared between the dryer's 10-30 and the car. I don't know the Buddy's options, so you may need another adapter at some point in the chain to make it all work.

There's some Dryer Buddy models that disconnect the power to the car if the dryer is in use - so those you wouldn't have to adjust the setting as long as the connector is sized correctly. You'd just get charging interruption any time the dryer runs. They're set up so dryer always has power, and only if dryer isn't consuming is the car connected to power.

Well, you can set the max amps in that location to 24 Amps, no? Doesn't that fix the issue permanently? Am I missing something?

I have my X set to 40 Amps since I don't want to run full speed on my 80 Amp HPWC and 72 Amp charger for no reason. Works fine, always maxes at 40. I assume the 3 has this setting? (I'm getting so I have to ask about every friggin' setting in the 3, so much is/was missing, lol... :D )

Reactions: Kacey Green
Someone upthread suggested that software updates have occasionally reset that setting, so it can't be relied upon.
Gotcha, missed that. I was even going to mention that.... :D But it works pretty consistently.

Wonder if any of the Buddy's have a settable limit for current? That would be a worthwhile feature (although a 24 Amp breaker wouldn't really blow, it would just get warm....).

Browsing their site is confusing with all the different dryer buddy #X variations.

Dryer Buddy: it's just two outlets wired to one (both are always live) so if you try to use both at once it will trip the breaker. There's an optional ammeter you can use to figure out your dryer's consumption and whether you can just limit your EV to charge at a reduced rate that won't trip while dryer runs.

Dryer Buddy Plus: Only one outlet is powered and there is a toggle switch to manually switch which device gets power. (optional?) ammeter / etc info screen.

Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO: Dryer outlet is always live, and power is supplied to EV outlet only when dryer outlet isn't using power (when dryer turns on, EV is automatically disconnected). (optional?) ammeter / etc info screen.

Each of these is available with different combinations of outlets, plus I think you can also custom order, and I think there was an option for remote mounting the EV outlet (to solve problem of dryer in mud room).

I use a dryer buddy at my RV. It splits 10-50 into two 10-50 outlets. One goes to the RV and the other to my car charger. With everything possible turned on in the 5th wheel, I am left with 17 available amps for the car, so I just set the car to a max draw of 15 amps for my location. It works like a champ!

Interesting, I literally just want a splitter ideally with a manual switch to only power one device. That sounds like the Plus version. I don't know why it has to be so expensive though. I guess there isn't much demand for this sort of thing.
I went down this route not too long ago.

I ended up pulling the 10-30 outlet and replacing it with a 14-30 (Difference is a 14-30 has a ground and a neutral wire instead of just a neural, and the snake skin romex in my old house actually had a ground that was not being used!). I then rewired the dryer to use a 14-30 plug (It was easy and I actually had one laying around that we got with the dryer, good thing I didn't toss it like the wife wanted me to :) ).

If I was going to use this setup permanently I would buy the most expensive dryer buddy for the types of plug you intend to use 10-30 or 14-30 probably.
Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO.

I actually have 2 14-30's in series (they were 10-30's).

I looked into installing a high power toggle switch between the outlets to save money but in the end it was more work than the dryer buddy plus auto and didn't save me a whole lot (30 amps 240v SPDT/ 120v DPDT switches are expensive). I can't remember which switch I decided would work, I think I figured 120v DPDT wired for On/On would work if you treated the 4 wires as 2, 120v runs. The DPDT would then essentially give you a 240v toggle switch. I would research more if you want to go that route but essentially you have 4 wires so I think a DPDT 120v switch would work. I think you can just pass the neutral and grounds along between two plugs with wire nuts and romex and then you have 2 wires to the switch which a 120v DPDT switch could accept as it's for 2 120v circuits.

Anyways, I would get the dryer buddy if you don't want to have a 14-50 installed (But it might not be much more expensive to just go this route). It's nicer than a toggle that the wife will for sure forget to switch back when the dryer is done you falls asleep with the load still in it! Then your car wouldn't charge!

I decided I'm instead just going to have a 14-50 installed, so I ended up not getting a dryer buddy, and I just set my car (volt) to charge after 1am (no laundry after midnight!) and use both outlets for now.