Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Shifting" reservation/order from another Tesla to Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
Say I put in an order for a Model 3/Y right now....if I decide next year that I want to wait for a Cybertruck instead of getting a 3/Y, can I have my order fee transferred to a new Cybertruck order? Or would I need to put in a separate order for a CT and I'm SOL on the $250 fee for the 3/Y?

I don't think Tesla allows to change the model. However, I have a crazier idea...

If the government finally accepts the tax credit law for Tesla to the tune of $10k, it may be worth the risk to place the $250 reservation for a Model Y now. Now - because two things will happen when the tax credit is a done deal: (1) manufacturer price on EVs will creep up again and (2) the waiting list for non-performance Model Y may extend to 2023.

If one can get a MY next year,2022, with a $10k tax credit, then the Model Y can be exchanged for the Cybertruck (in 2023?) virtually at the same sale price as a new one is sold now, plus keep $12k and $15k for the tax credit and other (non-EV) car gas and depreciation (before getting the CT). Then, the CT will come with another $10k tax credit, if I am not mistaken. So, instead of saving $10k on the CT, you can save $20k+ if get into a Tesla next year and the tax credit law is passed. In the worst case, you lose $250.

It scared me today that some random guys in a pickup truck looking like construction workers gave me thumbs up (I drive a Model 3) near Lowe's home improvement store. My theory is that after Tom Brady advertised Tesla (on behalf of Hertz), Tesla popularity will skyrocket in the matter of days, especially if stimulated by the infrastructure bill...

.... I am about to pull the trigger ... now...