Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it really full base price up front? I also read $50K up front. Anyway, to be first in line, it's fair. Pretty sure Tesla needs to keep the money in reserve, but the payments will help getting funding to fancy up one production line or the other.
If somehow the dirt cheap 2170 cells are to amount to 200kWh, the margin production cost of these cars could due truly super low compared to the sales price. $20K in cells, three P motors as in the original Models S, maybe. A straight forward body, battery casing, and some odds and ends ;-)

Potentially less chique is that referral champions who are winning the whole car or getting a discount on one, are apparently expected to sign up, pay the depostion, play the game just like ouright buyers. They got 5 referrals before evening opening the secret level, I believe, as not regular $250K car buyers. Also, depending on country, the import taxes may simply kill them. Like winning a castle that you can't use for business, which comes with a hefty annual property tax. You win the castle and next day file for bankruptcy.
It's odd though, per referral (#6 an onwards), you get a 2% discount amounting to $5K. Before there was $1-2K to be gotten.

To run 8.9 in the 1/4 with a full bodied car you need a NHRA Super Gas license, a full certified safety cage, a parachute, etc. Most cars that run at those ETs are trailer queens if plated.

You will not be able to run it at a normal dragstrip on a normal day.

Naive question: what if you just drive slower in a breakout-not-allowed class?

What's the fastest 1/4 ET that doesn't require a cage + chute?

Naive question: what if you just drive slower in a breakout-not-allowed class?

What's the fastest 1/4 ET that doesn't require a cage + chute?

Without looking it up, IIRC, if you trap faster than 140mph you need a chute.
If your 1/4 mile ET 9.999 or quicker, you will need a certified rollcage and chute.

Some folk lift at the 1/8th mile beams to avoid breaking out, but that doesn't always save you. There are limits for 1/8th mile racing too.

Without looking it up, IIRC, if you trap faster than 140mph you need a chute.
If your 1/4 mile ET 9.999 or quicker, you will need a certified rollcage and chute.

Some folk lift at the 1/8th mile beams to avoid breaking out, but that doesn't always save you. There are limits for 1/8th mile racing too.
The 10 second rule is irrelevant in terms of Modern Safety Standards. A fully caged Chevy Nova with a massive supercharger and nitrous running 9's is going to be WORLDS more unsafe than the new Roadster going down the strip at full tilt.
10 second rule was made for the safety standards of cars 50+ years ago and needs to be updated, or at the very least, exempt the 100% stock, OEM vehicles that can roll out of the factory, onto the strip and run sub 10s.

Reactions: dhanson865
The 10 second rule is irrelevant in terms of Modern Safety Standards. A fully caged Chevy Nova with a massive supercharger and nitrous running 9's is going to be WORLDS more unsafe than the new Roadster going down the strip at full tilt.
10 second rule was made for the safety standards of cars 50+ years ago and needs to be updated, or at the very least, exempt the 100% stock, OEM vehicles that can roll out of the factory, onto the strip and run sub 10s.

To the best of my knowledge all the sub-9.999 requirements are still in place.
They moved the rollbar rule to 11.49 from 11.99 about 2003.
And about 2012, 2008? and newer 100% stock hardtops can run up to 9.999 or 135mph without a rollbar.

Convertibles or modified cars still require rollbars at 11.49 and rollcages at 9.999.

Understand that most cars can turn off their stability and traction controls, and hitting oil or coolant at 1/2 track can be a handful with them off.

The safety rules are for when things go wrong. Sure, a top fuel car could run with no safety equipment when everything is good. The safety equipment is for when you crash.

Also note that many tracks are old now, and you still must hold a NHRA Competition License to run 9.999 or quicker regardless.

Reactions: Buook
So - what happens to all the money if Tesla goes belly up in 3 years? How'd you like to be out $250k?
Substantially less likely than it was back around 2006 when people had to plunk down the full price for a Roadster to a company that had never produced a car.

And thank god they did.

For many of us with chronic back problems, this seating position is quite irritating. This is one reason that I need more breaks driving my S compared to the X. The X is a much more upright seating position and therefore easier on my back.
Agreed the X seating position is more comfortable than the S, I now have over 8K miles on my X and it’s really nice for long trips. Don’t know yet how the new Roadster seating position will feel given the unusual way one’s legs will be positioned. But sure hope I can tolerate it. ;)

You would pull 3.22 Gs to accelerate 0-60mph in 1.9s. Theoretically, you would not pass out until you hit 5 Gs, but you might have to be a fighter pilot.

nerves + Gs = OMG!

The feeling of intestines wrapping around the spine is pretty intense in ludicrous mode. Kids, don't try this at home!