Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you got a citation for that?

I'm in the UK, we don't have all that many Superchargers, I have charged once on CHAdeMo (they are easy to find, so definitely an option for me) in 18 months and twice (at the same location) on Type-2. Rest of the time I've been absolutely fine using Superchargers. I exceed charge range (i.e. need Supercharge) 2 or 3 times a month.

I doubt the Germans would have more difficulty getting about than the UK...

... I think much more likely that it is because Germany is the home of many prestige brands, and the Germans prefer to buy home-grown, which is fair enough. Germany has also been much slower in providing incentives for EV purchase ... probably has something to do with protecting they lying, cheating, polluting, brands.

No shortage of Teslas in Norway. Plenty of Superchargers there, and yet in large numbers of Bjørn Nyland's videos he is charging at all sorts of slow, non-Supercharger locations - so presumably not THAT convenient, even in Norway, and yet Tesla (and other EVs) sell by the bucket-load there.

Norway has a favourable tax/incentive stance to EV of course ... unlike Germany (until recently)
Lots of videos and posts referencing the German car lifestyle. It hinges around open highways without speed limit and lots of city to city travel. In a €100,000 car, you don't cruise at 120kph. You cruise 170-220kph or so. In a Tesla, the batttery becomes a limiting factor. First in power on longer high speed runs, then in range. Uncompetitive on the German long distance driving luxury wagon market.

open highways without speed limit

I'd forgotten about that. On UK motorways I can guarantee to be down to 50 MPH for an extended period either for traffic or roadworks (which we do with one man and his blinking dog for a prolonged period ...) which means I am pretty much guaranteed modest wH/mi.

Although I have read that the 40 MPH motorway speed limits we have on most roadworks are being reconsidered (used to be 50 MPH, maybe even "a long time ago" were 60 MPH?) because drivers are losing concentration at such slow speed and accidents, in roadworks, has increased ...

I'd forgotten about that. On UK motorways I can guarantee to be down to 50 MPH for an extended period either for traffic or roadworks (which we do with one man and his blinking dog for a prolonged period ...) which means I am pretty much guaranteed modest wH/mi.

Although I have read that the 40 MPH motorway speed limits we have on most roadworks are being reconsidered (used to be 50 MPH, maybe even "a long time ago" were 60 MPH?) because drivers are losing concentration at such slow speed and accidents, in roadworks, has increased ...
I can't remember ever crossing Germany without suffering some extent of roadworks or traffic jams, but for good part, you can open it up reasonably, cruise 170kph comfortably. Be overtaken, sometimes hold back for an overtake of your own. A Tesla really suffers there. Even as a super slick car.

Reactions: gowthamn
I can't remember ever crossing Germany without suffering some extent of roadworks or traffic jams, but for good part, you can open it up reasonably, cruise 170kph comfortably. Be overtaken, sometimes hold back for an overtake of your own. A Tesla really suffers there. Even as a super slick car.

You are right.

But the new roadster will put an end to all our worries. ;)

To be perfectly honest, the money is a deposit toward something that does not yet exist.

Thus, it could be argued under bankruptcy law [and many consumer protection statutes in many states] that the deposit needs to be segregated in a separate account and remains the property of the depositor no matter what the agreement states. But Tesla spends it immediately. . . . and accounts for it as a liability just like the airlines account for your pre-paid fare as 'air traffic liability' . . .

Plus, Tesla has a practice of refunding reservation deposits - so making the deposit money seem like it is still within the control of the depositor.

So - don't be so fast to make light of my comments. . . .
Roadster deposits were for something that did not yet exist.
Model S deposits were for something that did not yet exist.
Model X deposits were for something that did not yet exist.
Model 3 deposits were for something that did not yet exist.

This is not a new discussion.

Well, personally my preference would be not to do a barrel roll at 150 mph. :)

But my point is that these days we have stronger, lighter materials than steel tubing available, and just like the FMVSS mirror rule, the specific details of one solution that made sense at the time the rule was written being in the rule is preventing better solutions from appearing on the road.

In the 'good old days', F1 drivers were dropping like flies, as were drag racers. This is when safety rules started to be enforced. A true racer will go 200mph on a tree lined course with potholes, wearing nothing but a pair of good shoe, gloves, and a smile. It's up to the associations to enforce the safety rules. The racers want to win, and assume it will always be the 'other guy' who gets killed.

Today, drag racing, even Top Fuel is fairly safe for a motorsport. Knock on wood.

We even have a specific organization to monitor the quality of safety equipment. Critical parts must have a SFI tag or you don't pass tech.

In the 'good old days', F1 drivers were dropping like flies, as were drag racers. This is when safety rules started to be enforced. A true racer will go 200mph on a tree lined course with potholes, wearing nothing but a pair of good shoe, gloves, and a smile. It's up to the associations to enforce the safety rules. The racers want to win, and assume it will always be the 'other guy' who gets killed.

Today, drag racing, even Top Fuel is fairly safe for a motorsport. Knock on wood.

We even have a specific organization to monitor the quality of safety equipment. Critical parts must have a SFI tag or you don't pass tech.

I feel like we're having a failure to communicate here. I don't disagree with anything you just said, but I also don't see how it contradicts - or even really relates to - my post that you're quoting.

To the folks who took the test drive at the event: Did the new Roadster make any sound? I'm contrasting it with the Classic Roadster, with it's high pitched whine of the inverter and drive train.

Anything heard, outside the squeal of the tires (and passenger)?

• Funny
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I feel like we're having a failure to communicate here. I don't disagree with anything you just said, but I also don't see how it contradicts - or even really relates to - my post that you're quoting.

Race cars are a full tubular crash structure. There are no back seats because the main hoop support bars are there, and often the doors do not actually open. When the doors do open, you must climb over the door bars with the steering wheel removed. This is full roadrace caged car, and many drag cars. The body is for rules, aero, and downforce.

No matter how you try to make a street car safer by using advanced structures, it's not going match a race car. You'd have to wear a helmet to avoid head injuries, and you have to be gymnast to climb in or out. The door bars are a serious PITA.

This is what you need to expect out of your modern street car (these are fully caged road racers, they only look production):

Everybody was OK. Can you imagine that at 4000lb?

Race cars are a full tubular crash structure. There are no back seats because the main hoop support bars are there, and often the doors do not actually open. When the doors do open, you must climb over the door bars with the steering wheel removed. This is full roadrace caged car, and many drag cars. The body is for rules, aero, and downforce.

No matter how you try to make a street car safer by using advanced structures, it's not going match a race car. You'd have to wear a helmet to avoid head injuries, and you have to be gymnast to climb in or out. The door bars are a serious PITA.

This is what you need to expect out of your modern street car (these are fully caged road racers, they only look production):

Everybody was OK. Can you imagine that at 4000lb?

I don't believe the argument is, "The need for safety structures is antiquated."

I believe the argument is @Saghost is making is: "The need for safety structures is paramount, but requiring what may be antiquated designs prevents the use of even safer mechanism enabled by modern materials science and engineering."

If a carbon fiber or advanced alloy provided even greater crash/roll protection within the same volume/mass as the currently required material, would you be against it?

As with all super cars, the debris field will be huge and Darwin will win again.
BTW, I started in steel tube'd cars and ended up in Champcars for the exact reasons Calif states. Still, that kinda mass with that ability to add energy in the hands of normal (rich) drivers will have predictable consequences. Even with those consequences, I would prefer these toys get made.

Above 200 miles an hour, cars can become really unpredicteble because of earodynamics:
As you can see, cars just randomly flying 5 meters into the air, especially when driving close near the car in front.
I don't think there's any autopilot developed enough to help you out in such situations.

I genuinly think Tesla should work together with compagnies like Koenigsegg when it comes to these speeds, I wouldn't even be surprised if they actually already do since I understood they could take the roof of and put it in the trunk, just like Koenigsegg's can.
Either way, when Koenigsegg released their first car and offered it to a real racing driver, the driver immedietly said it needed a spoiler to drive really fast, this because he had no downforce with it, like F1 cars have.
He was right and even crashed, later, Koenigsegg came back with basically the same car, but then with more and downforce and things like that. The car was loads more fast because of it.
Now there are probably people at Tesla that know this already, but a bit of support from Europe wouldn't be a bad thing when it comes to downforce. The entire F1 top is European and they have so much downforce, they can drive their cars longterm upside down!

Exactly, the same concern trolls have been around since the beginning.

concern-trolls.jpg

...they've been standing up for EV truth and safety since 2006. :D

To be perfectly honest, the money is a deposit toward something that does not yet exist.

Thus, it could be argued under bankruptcy law [and many consumer protection statutes in many states] that the deposit needs to be segregated in a separate account and remains the property of the depositor no matter what the agreement states. But Tesla spends it immediately. . . . and accounts for it as a liability just like the airlines account for your pre-paid fare as 'air traffic liability' . . .

Tesla actually holds the money aside and doesn't spend it. You need to go listen to all the quarterly conference calls until CFO Deepak Ahuja says that in no uncertain terms when answering an analyst question.

Sure it's listed as a liability but they set aside money to offset the liability.

Tesla actually holds the money aside and doesn't spend it. You need to go listen to all the quarterly conference calls until CFO Deepak Ahuja says that in no uncertain terms when answering an analyst question.

Sure it's listed as a liability but they set aside money to offset the liability.

You're describing escrow. Tesla has been very clear that the money is not in escrow. It's not even held separately at all from the rest of their cash. It's part of the agreement you have to confirm when you make your reservation (did you not read it?). Section 4: "You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately or in an escrow or trust fund or pay any interest on your Reservation Payment"