Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping for an ICE for my wife...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and I just can't do it. She's just not ready for us to own only EV's ( I have an S and a new Y). I shop for her for an ICE, or hybrid, and I can't help but think why the hell anyone would buy one of those anymore. It's not a snobbery thing, it just feels like going from an iphone to a corded dial phone. She has a 2011 MDX right now, and the two pedal driving, lack of convenience tech, having to go to gas stations, all the freaking dials, buttons, stalks, items to be serviced, noise, keys, etc all drive me f****ing crazy! Despite our latest UI update (!), I look at ICE cockpits and it just stresses me out looking at all that crap.

I guess my whole point is, I really appreciate what Tesla has done to move vehicle tech forward, and I really can't handle even driving non-EV's anymore because they frusrtate the crap out of me. Am I the only one?

I was watching Tesla for a while and finally pulled the trigger and I wish I did it long time ago and not wait.
I love Tesla especially on long trips - autopilot makes it very relaxing. But highway range at 70mph is low and makes you stop every couple hours for 30 min.
We drive to FL from MD and I would love to do this trip on Tesla but we will never do it in one day like we do it on ICE 14-16 hours.
So that is the only reason we stick to a second ICE vehicle.
On the other side my wife is ready to take over MY, that she didn't want to buy. :) It took her couple months of driving and now she loves it.

I’m not sure what the hurry is when you take a road trip, stop and smell the roses.
This. It sucks being the main driver... wife expects me to drive on trips like as if! But with AP, it's ok now. It used to be annoying being the main driver but now I have my buddy do most of the chores so I can finally relax. The irony is that she generally hates me driving her car all other times lol.

There isn't enough charging infrastructure in the wide open southwest to try crossing with a family of four, baggage, and a 330 mile max range MY so we will continue owning at least one ICE vehicle.

Things are changing for the better though. Even GM is offering a 400 mile max range option for the new Silverado EV. I put a reservation on that too.

They both have their pros & cons. Life is already overwhelming for a lot of people, the last thing they need to worry about is how to charge.. were to charge.. when to charge.. etc. Anyone driving lots of highway miles surely appreciates being able to take practically any exit and fill up their gas tank. And while AutoPilot works great, the reality is Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Keep Assistance or Lane Centering (LKAS/LC) works much better than you probably think in most new ICE vehicles. Coming from a 2018 Honda.. there's still a ton of stuff missing off my Tesla that's absolutely inexcusable.. like rear cross-traffic alerts and real blindspot monitoring with the LED in the mirror.

That's without considering other EV headaches like freezing cold weather, towing a trailing, hauling a heavy load, or even just traveling with a carload full of passengers and needing to stop randomly to charge. Finally, ICE still offers several form factors.. vehicles in every size and shape.. including stuff like real pampering luxury cars, convertibles, lifted trucks, off-roading vehicles, sports cars, etc. How many EV's do you even see with a sunroof? You never know what things someone loves, that might keep them wanting the vehicle they already have. I can tell you right now if I was truly rich. I wouldn't have a Model Y. My garage would have a Ferrari supercar, a 911 Turbo S cabriolet, and a Range Rover with every option possible.

I think we all can agree EV's are the future and most of us would probably never buy anything BUT another Tesla. But we all must admit we made some pretty heavy changes to get to this point. Many of us have laid the groundwork to first install charging stations at home, before paying A LOT of money for the EV we currently have.. basically, a large wager that any future gas & maintenance savings will eventually close the gap on what we might have spent on ICE. I still wonder how are people who live in condos, apartments, dorms, barracks, rowhouses, etc.. are supposed to keep their EV charged up? I'd imagine the majority of drivers are not homeowners.. so this means taking extra time to locate a public charger, drive there and sit somewhere to charge up weekly. Meanwhile, practically anyone with a minimum paying job can source a fairly cheap 10-year-old Camry or Accord, drive the living crap out of it for another 10-20 years, and still, avg 30mpg which isn't bad at all considering gas is still around $3. And speaking of a 10-year-old car.. exactly how reliable will a 10-year-old Tesla be? How much range? What needs to be replaced?

Most of the people I talk to who aren't ready to make the switch to EV's have some pretty damn good reasons not to. Many of the I listed above.. but the biggest one is still price. The cheapest brand new Model Y now starts at $60,440. That's $58,990 for what is basically a midsize SUV, $1200 delivery, and a $250 order fee (it's an additional fee, not a deposit). I'd say we have it pretty lucky to be able to even AFFORD to live on the bleeding edge of technology & EV adoption. And their decision only gets more complicated depending on their living situation, family, young kids, long commutes, debt, etc. We are still a very long way from ICE dying anytime soon.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are many very good reasons to have an ICE and an EV. We like our Model Y LR, but only Tesla/EV in the garage? It's not there yet. There is a lot a comparably priced ICE is going to offer. Faster and easier "refuel" on trips, hauling things, physical buttons, no Tesla quirks, luxury features (sun roof, cooled seats, etc), more comfortable ride, better build quantity/service, and more.

Once again, lots to like about Tesla. But Tesla and EVs in general still make notable sacrifices that most buyers won't forget or ignore so easily. Especially if they are cross shopping both.

On the west coast, you don't need a back up ICE car so I'd say it might be a regional or comfort thing. If you've ever seen a Costco gas station on the west coast... I mean the hell? That's the Garden Grove location. I go to the Fountain Valley location and the lines wrap all the way around the complex. The line must be like a mile long. It's insanity.

rih5v80pbd681.jpg

and I just can't do it. She's just not ready for us to own only EV's ( I have an S and a new Y). I shop for her for an ICE, or hybrid, and I can't help but think why the hell anyone would buy one of those anymore. It's not a snobbery thing, it just feels like going from an iphone to a corded dial phone. She has a 2011 MDX right now, and the two pedal driving, lack of convenience tech, having to go to gas stations, all the freaking dials, buttons, stalks, items to be serviced, noise, keys, etc all drive me f****ing crazy! Despite our latest UI update (!), I look at ICE cockpits and it just stresses me out looking at all that crap.

I guess my whole point is, I really appreciate what Tesla has done to move vehicle tech forward, and I really can't handle even driving non-EV's anymore because they frusrtate the crap out of me. Am I the only one?
I understand you but I just got back from a trip to the mountains. Instead of my Y I took 2021 F-150. It's got 720 mile range! I got back with half a tank left. With a Y I'd have to stop for charging a couple of times according to ABRP. Don't dismiss ICE cars just because EVs are more fun to drive.

We have 12' MDX and are going to sell it soon. 17 mpg is not s3xy even in OK plus the tech is ancient. We got a Model 3 2 years ago not because it is an EV, but because it was the best car on the market. I'm glad I will be driving it soon as we are waiting for the new Model Y for my wife to replace the MDX. What do you mean when you say you are "nor ready ... to own only EVs"? It's not just about EVs, it's because Tesla makes better cars.

The RAV4 Prime is a bit of both. EV for 42 miles and gasser for 500 miles.

It drives like any other EV in EV mode. Quiet, silent, wicked acceleration. It's missing one-pedal (has some regen) but honestly the biggest problem with ICE cars was the acceleration jerkiness at low-speeds and the noise. Plugin-hybrids like the Prime favor the electric motors at low speed (sub 25mph) even when running in gas/HV mode and thus is pretty smooth (like any EV).

It has a simplified ICE system (reverse is electric only, no alternator, simple transmission, ICE is FWD only, no mechanical AWD, etc). I see a bright future for plugin-hybrids because I think BEVs are terrible for cold climates and for towing.

The top-end Prime has an 1500W inverter to power stuff like a microwave... lol. A feature I really want in a Tesla.

Photo Jan 05, 4 27 20 PM.jpg

I love my Tesla but it's not a bad idea to have a second ICE SUV. The MY is a pretty stiff ride and is somewhat loud (boomy) at times. Also, no spare tire or runflats. I would rather have my wife not worry about these things.
My wife’s new Jeep Compass didn’t come with a spare tire. A lot of new cars don’t come with one now.