Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100% with bonnie on this one guys! This site should remain open and free. There are great moderators to keep things classy and up until now there has been no need for secrecy. There is tons of information out there, the thing is to think for yourself and evaulate the quality of that information. Let med reiterate something I mentioned before today: If you are happy with this community and if you are making nice $$$ using information on this board, DONATE and contribute!

Agree 100%. Lets not get carried away and try to become exclusive. It shouldn't just be about using this forum as a means to make money, but it should be about helping Tesla promote sustainable transport. The more people that learn about Tesla and read this forum the better. When in doubt, just consider WWED (What Would Elon Do) :)

edit: fyi, this site does have ads and i'm guessing that's used to cover server or other costs.

Just wanted to thank everyone on here who provided some amazing commentary. I also wanted to share my story

Im 21 and still in university. I took a Financial Economics course which got me thinking about stocks. I became a member here and immediately bought the stock on July 1st with my savings of $2000. On Aug 2nd.(friday) I sold my long position and bought 5 sept 170 call options. Surprisingly, after the dip today my options where still in the green. Also i couldn't resist the price today so i bought an aug 160 call with the extra money i had lying around.

Thanks to everyone here i will be able to pay off an entire year's tuition from my student loans after i figure out how to time selling these options.

*edit: typo

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank everyone on here who provided some amazing commentary. I also wanted to share my story

Im 21 and still in university. I took a Financial Economics course which got me thinking about stocks. I became a member here and immediately bought the stock on July 1st with my savings of $2000. On (friday) Aug 1st. I sold my long position and bought 5 sept 170 call options. Surprisingly, after the dip today my options where still in the green. Also i couldn't resist the price today so i bought an aug 160 call with the extra money i had lying around.

Thanks to everyone here i will be able to pay off an entire year's tuition from my student loans after today's ER.

Make sure to take profit and use the money to pay your tuition! Great story. Smart kid, you will do well in the future!

Im 21 and still in university. I took a Financial Economics course which got me thinking about stocks. I became a member here and immediately bought the stock on July 1st with my savings of $2000. On Aug 2st.(friday) I sold my long position and bought 5 sept 170 call options. Surprisingly, after the dip today my options where still in the green. Also i couldn't resist the price today so i bought an aug 160 call with the extra money i had lying around.

Thanks to everyone here i will be able to pay off an entire year's tuition from my student loans after i figure out how to time selling these options.

*edit: typo

Student debt is usually very cheap and your interest doesn't compound on you. With how young you are, I'd consider taking those profits, opening an IRA, buying something fairly boring that pays a good dividend, and letting it sit (reinvesting dividends of course) for 44 years. Do the math, I think you'll see where I'm going with this.

Student debt is usually very cheap and your interest doesn't compound on you. With how young you are, I'd consider taking those profits, opening an IRA, buying something fairly boring that pays a good dividend, and letting it sit (reinvesting dividends of course) for 44 years. Do the math, I think you'll see where I'm going with this.

and of course some safe shares of TSLA (which you will have to keep selling off in the future since it will take up to much of your IRA)

Congrats on your success ! That can be a life changing amount of money invested over 40 years.

Im in canada and we have a TSFA account. you can contribute up to $5,500 a year and its tax free(you are not allowed to take it out and add extra later). It's suppose to teach canadians how to properly save. Dont know if IRA/Roth/401K allow this but the TSFA has some interesting applications like: if you were to buy a property with the money, the rent you collect on it is also tax free.

I'm planning on sticking with LEAPS on tesla until 2017-2018 and then figure things out from there.

If you are going to go with this strategy, then I think you will be better off buying TSLA instead and hold it for 44 years; do the math, this is only the beginning for TSLA. Very early stage of the game. Tesla is in the bottom of the first inning right now; TSLA is in the middle of the second inning right now.

Im in canada and we have a TSFA account. you can contribute up to $5,500 a year and its tax free(you are not allowed to take it out and add extra later). It's suppose to teach canadians how to properly save. Dont know if IRA/Roth/401K allow this but the TSFA has some interesting applications like: if you were to buy a property with the money, the rent you collect on it is also tax free.

I'm planning on sticking with LEAPS on tesla until 2017-2018 and then figure things out from there.

A wonderful plan for sure. I made myself by some LEAPS because I keep selling options off before the peak but this way I am "forced" to hold.

Im in canada and we have a TSFA account. you can contribute up to $5,500 a year and its tax free(you are not allowed to take it out and add extra later). It's suppose to teach canadians how to properly save. Dont know if IRA/Roth/401K allow this but the TSFA have some interesting applications like if you were to buy a property with the money, the rent you collect on it is also tax free.

Sorry, I should have checked your location. I don't know the ins and outs of taxes in Canada, but my point is just that TIME is your most powerful tool when it comes to investing. The amount of wealth that you can accumulate over a large period of time even given modest principle is pretty incredible. It will far out-strip the interest you will save by paying down your student debt today.

In American culture a lot of people view debt as a negative thing. Don't fall into that trap. Debt is a tool. Here you can use it to free up more capital, earlier in life, to build significant wealth.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are going to go with this strategy, then I think you will be better off buying TSLA instead and hold it for 44 years; do the math, this is only the beginning for TSLA. Very early stage of the game. Tesla is in the bottom of the first inning right now; TSLA is in the middle of the second inning right now.

TSLA is risky. I assumed since he was deciding to sell TSLA and pay down debt (a guaranteed return) that suggesting he hold TSLA was not even in the right ball park for his risk tolerance.

Completely agree!

i've actually been taking student loans since i started university even though i didn't need them. my parents have been helping with tuition.But, Because I dont have to pay any interest on it until 6 months after. I've been helping my parents put a down payment on a second house.

Property investment is one of the best investments in my eyes. Right behind Tesla ;)

TSLA is risky. I assumed since he was deciding to sell TSLA and pay down debt (a guaranteed return) that suggesting he hold TSLA was not even in the right ball park for his risk tolerance.

Your definition of risk is a lot different than my definition of it. You are recommending dividend paying stocks to hold for 44 years. And I say if you have a 44 year timeline then buy TSLA and skip the dividend paying stock.

Let's take for example Kinder Morgan Energy Partners KMP. Sounds like a safe bet and a high dividend paying stock (currently 6.4%). Well I think that there is a higher probability that 40 years from now KMP will be bankrupt rather than TSLA.

If you have a 44 year time frame then TSLA might be one of the safest picks of any asset in any asset class.

I completely disagree with your assessment that TSLA is "risky", since we are talking about a long-term time frame. It is a very safe investment right now. Buy and hold.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree!

i've actually been taking student loans since i started university even though i didn't need them. my parents have been helping with tuition.But, Because I dont have to pay any interest on it until 6 months after. I've been helping my parents put a down payment on a second house.

Property investment is one of the best investments in my eyes. Right behind Tesla ;)

Completely agree with what? Are you saying that TSLA is risky or that it is a good investment?

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have checked your location. I don't know the ins and outs of taxes in Canada, but my point is just that TIME is your most powerful tool when it comes to investing. The amount of wealth that you can accumulate over a large period of time even given modest principle is pretty incredible. It will far out-strip the interest you will save by paying down your student debt today.

In American culture a lot of people view debt as a negative thing. Don't fall into that trap. Debt is a tool. Here you can use it to free up more capital, earlier in life, to build significant wealth.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree!

Property investment is one of the best investments in my eyes. Right behind Tesla :wink:

REPOST: forgot to add the quote!

Completely agree on using debt as leverage to get ahead in the game of life.

Your definition of risk is a lot different than my definition of it. You are recommending dividend paying stocks to hold for 44 years. And I say if you have a 44 year timeline then buy TSLA and skip the dividend paying stock.

Not to mention the way TFSAs are set up in Canada. Believe it or not, although gains are never taxed in Canada, the United States IRS can (and will) tax you on dividends paid by American companies. Even if you are not an American citizen. Since you're still being taxed by someone, there is very little reason to hold low growth dividend stocks in a tax-free savings account.

The intelligent ininvestor by Benjamin graham.

Tesla definitely qualifies as one of these stocks.

If you've really only been doing this for a few weeks and really haven't read anything....then just know this:

you are a punk kid (23 years young!!!) who just got incredibly lucky and happened to pick the right stock at the tight time so please don't think this will ever happen again.

Enjoy the ride (and the money you've made with tesla)....but for the future realize that it will never be this easy ever again!!!!

read the intelligent investor.....and if you are serious about investing then send me a private message and I'll give ya tons of resources and all the advice you want :)

Thanks all.

No Model S for me, just a 23yo designer saving for his wedding...though I'm not sure any of that will be pulled from my Tesla stock ;)

I appreciate the advice and thank you for having such wonderful discussions to lurk :)

Only been doing stocks for two weeks, but it's been very rewarding and quite the learning experience. If anyone has any books they recommend for someone completely new to this, I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.