Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know. Too much time on my hands.

But all these charts and "channels" and, well, I was curious where it led by 2015. So I hacked this together (emphasis on hack) during lunch. Ketchup on keyboard and all.

View attachment 31466

Yep, methinks holding until 2016+ is still the plan.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled short-term thread.

Thank you very much for charing. :smile:
I have received my Tesla Model S Signature P85+, the 31st of august, and am very happy with my car :biggrin:
I have followed the posts here, and am long Tesla Stocks.
I bought about 1100 at an average price of $30 in november 2012, haven't hedged them yet, as this is not possible in my Norwegian account at Netfond.no. I did open an account at Optionsxpress, this May, funds $51K, and have boubled my possition so far. Now I am thinking of moving my stocks to a US broker to get hedged/ or maybe just sell som OTM covered Calls to gain some more money, on the way. I belive in Elon, and his goal of $400. :rolleyes: It seems to me that IB broker is far cheaper on commision than Oprionsxpress, do you or someone else here have any advice for me?
I would be grateful for any advice :smile:

Gah, stupid question with puts. Do I want "sell to open" or "buy to open"? I've read the damn info on puts 6 times and I can't yet distinguish which means what. I feel like an idiot, but it's all jargon I don't understand. I think I'd be "buying" the put, but it's to "sell" the underlying shares so I'm not sure which is what I'm looking for.
Sell to ...: Sell an option.
Buy to ...: Buy an option.

... to Open: No previous transaction associated.
... to Close: To "close out" a previous transaction.

(a)
So, for example, you might "Buy To Open" a Call and then "Sell to Close" an identically flavored Call to balance your account.
If you do the transactions at "low" and "high" stock prices, respectively, then you make a profit. In the reverse, you'd have a loss.

(b)
Alternatively, you might "Sell to Open" a Put and then "Buy to Close" an identically flavored Call to balance.
If you do the transactions at "low" and "high" stock prices, respectively, then you make a profit. In the reverse, you'd have a loss.

WARNING: Doing Sell before Buy (as in case b) of either Call or Put puts you in "higher risk" territory in the sense that your risk is open-ended. In contrast, doing a Buy before a Sell (as in case a) your risk is at most what you paid in the first transaction.

Additional note: Doing Sell before Buy means that time helps your profit potential (the option decays). Doing Buy before Sell means that time hurts your profit potential (the option decays).

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for charing. :smile:
I have received my Tesla Model S Signature P85+, the 31st of august, and am very happy with my car :biggrin:
I have followed the posts here, and am long Tesla Stocks.
I bought about 1100 at an average price of $30 in november 2012, haven't hedged them yet, as this is not possible in my Norwegian account at Netfond.no. I did open an account at Optionsxpress, this May, funds $51K, and have boubled my possition so far. Now I am thinking of moving my stocks to a US broker to get hedged/ or maybe just sell som OTM covered Calls to gain some more money, on the way. I belive in Elon, and his goal of $400. :rolleyes: It seems to me that IB broker is far cheaper on commision than Oprionsxpress, do you or someone else here have any advice for me?
I would be grateful for any advice :smile:
This is not advice, just sharing information. I am in a similar situation as you, I have TSLA shares in my Australian account with a broker who does not give me access to options trading. Plus my broker charges high fees for trading, minimum charge $65 or 0.65%, whichever is greater. I just opened IB account and transferred shares into it from my old account. IB seems intuitive and gives option trading access, if one passes online test. Good luck.

I have to tell you all. I have never held a stock like this. I have almost sold to book profits several times with the thought it will correct and I can buy back in at a lower price. But it just does not seem to happen. Believe me, I am not complaining..just perplexed:confused:

I am as perplexed as you! :confused: I am disappointed it does not pull back!
Incredible strength. I have to adjust my neutral position to more bullish one. Some force is at work.

I have to tell you all. I have never held a stock like this. I have almost sold to book profits several times with the thought it will correct and I can buy back in at a lower price. But it just does not seem to happen. Believe me, I am not complaining..just perplexed:confused:

I had some money sitting waiting for a pullback to buy more too. I feel I'm going to jinx it if I buy more now.

Sold Oct 19 $190 calls for $8.45 to offset some of the cost of my puts yesterday. I'm left in the very strange position of hoping that TSLA does pull back over the next week or two.

Never bet against TSLA...that's one thing I've learned...whenever Im on the brink of closing out some or all of my position to get back in after a pull back I think is about to happen or is happening then I'm wrong and the stock goes higher.

However, I have a huge advantage to remain disciplined over most of you. I work in the financial industry and am not allowed to put trades in during market hours...I can only do so at night...this has saved me many times from panicking intraday and resulted in me holding the vast majority of my positions for this entire run so far.
if I didn't have this I'm sure I would have panicked a long time ago during the GS dip for example or any other intraday 5 point dip

Never bet against TSLA...that's one thing I've learned...whenever Im on the brink of closing out some or all of my position to get back in after a pull back I think is about to happen or is happening then I'm wrong and the stock goes higher.

However, I have a huge advantage to remain disciplined over most of you. I work in the financial industry and am not allowed to put trades in during market hours...I can only do so at night...this has saved me many times from panicking intraday and resulted in me holding the vast majority of my positions for this entire run so far.
if I didn't have this I'm sure I would have panicked a long time ago during the GS dip for example or any other intraday 5 point dip

People here keep saying that, but I have a big pile of money that says I can.

I am in the same situation. In 1.5 years that I have been investing in tesla I am at a point where I do not know what to do. I'm sitting on some cash that I want to get back into the market but am suffering from massive brain freeze. It is out of character for me to be indecisive.

I like to do things backwards and different than anyone else. So I just bought some Oct 04 puts $185. TSLA is going to have to scale back a little bit. It just ran up 15% in a week and it is time for a pullback.

Just waiting for end of day market sell-off due to incompetent politicians...

Damn I was hoping sleepy wouldn't be saying its time to sell

It's never time to sell TSLA. I am just trying to play into my theory that there will be a sell off due to large uncertainties heading into this weekend. I am basically betting on the fact that the government is incompetent and will help me make some money.

I also think that GS will come out with their report early next week if we have markets tanking due to government shutdown or risk of government shutdown. I am still very bullish on TSLA and will most likely lose money on this put trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.