Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be the reason for the dip:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...after-reports-of-garage-fires.html?cmpid=yhoo

Notice the use of the Tesla-F*** word combination in the headline while the article only refers to 'overheating'.

Anyone have a link to the Musk interview cited in this link?

Yeah, I need to see the interview or complete transcript. I hate quote snippets. See below:

The charger connectors, which tether Tesla-issued cables to wall outlets, will be mailed out in the next two weeks, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said in an interview today.

“These are very rare events, but occasionally the wiring isn’t done right,” Musk said. “We want people to have absolute comfort, so we’re going to be providing them with an upgraded adapter.”

for example, the statement in context is that "occasionally the wiring IN THE OWNER'S GARAGE isn't done right ..."

I hope that is the reason for the sell off today. Made a nice buying opportunity as long as it turns around next week or so.

Here is my logic/rationale (remember human beings can rationalize anything!). TM announces this upgraded adapter to take away any questions about charging safety BEFORE the news conference at the Detroit Auto Show. Panasonic and TM give 'good news' reports. What the good news is could be anybody's guess. If we are real lucky the NHSTA review is positive, a finished version of the Model X is revealed, Panasonic and TM announce that battery constraints are removed by a 'Giga factory' joint effort and that a newer, more powerful lithium battery is coming online.

Disclaimer: Who knows what is going to happen. All speculation. We have all gotten ourselves 'overhyped' and 'overly depressed' in the past.

Yeah, I need to see the interview or complete transcript. I hate quote snippets. See below:

The charger connectors, which tether Tesla-issued cables to wall outlets, will be mailed out in the next two weeks, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said in an interview today.

“These are very rare events, but occasionally the wiring isn’t done right,” Musk said. “We want people to have absolute comfort, so we’re going to be providing them with an upgraded adapter.”

for example, the statement in context is that "occasionally the wiring IN THE OWNER'S GARAGE isn't done right ..."

Wait - how is defective wiring in the garage going to be alleviated with a fused adapter? I think that's inaccurate reporting.

From what I recall in the prior discussions in TMC, there was concern over pushing 40 amps or higher through improperly seated 14-50 adapters along with the UMC's inadequate pins overheating the combo. I have already halved my charging amperage for daily charging to reduce any heating at the adapters to a slight warmth to eliminate this concern.

PS another link http://www.thestreet.com/story/1222...all-charger-fires.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO. And of course another use of the word combo Tesla/f***s (plural!). Grrrrrrrr....

Last edited:
Wait - how is defective wiring in the garage going to be alleviated with a fused adapter? I think that's inaccurate reporting.

From what I recall in the prior discussions in TMC, there was concern over pushing 40 amps or higher through improperly seated 14-50 adapters along with the UMC's inadequate pins overheating the combo. I have already halved my charging amperage for daily charging to reduce any heating at the adapters to a slight warmth to eliminate this concern.

It's likely a "thermal fuse" rather than an overcurrent device. So if the wiring/outlet is bad and overheats, the adapter will cut off power to the UMC because of heat buildup...

*Reports* (plural) of garage fires (plural)? Please, Bloomberg, show us these reports of fires. I've only heard of one fire from bad garage wiring.

I recommend everyone email the author and editor and request a correction. Their email addresses are at the bottom of the article:

To contact the reporter on this story: Jeff Plungis in Washington at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bernard Kohn at [email protected]

I recommend everyone email the author and editor and request a correction. Their email addresses are at the bottom of the article:

To contact the reporter on this story: Jeff Plungis in Washington at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bernard Kohn at [email protected]

Same crap on CNBC now too. 'Fire' in the headline, 'overheating' in the article. So ridiculous.

I'll be damned. They changed the headline and added additional information about reports of adapters overheating here. Alrighty then...

They have included a statement from Tesla
Tesla Drops on Concerns Over Wall Charger Fires (Update 1) - TheStreet

Palo Alto, Calif.-based Tesla provided a statement on the matter, noting that the updated adapter would have a thermal fuse. "In December 2013, Tesla provided an over-the-air software update that addressed potential overheating at the socket and would even protect a customer if there was bad wiring on the house side," the company said in an email. "We believe this fully addresses the problem. However, to provide additional protection for Model S customers, we have designed a new wall adapter with a thermal fuse. This upgraded adapter will be provided to all existing and new customers starting in a few weeks."

Status
Not open for further replies.