Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be damned. They changed the headline and added additional information about reports of adapters overheating here. Alrighty then...

It worked last time too. Me and Curt are right at the top.. :)

Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 11.15.00 AM.png

They have included a statement from Tesla
Tesla Drops on Concerns Over Wall Charger Fires (Update 1) - TheStreet

Palo Alto, Calif.-based Tesla provided a statement on the matter, noting that the updated adapter would have a thermal fuse. "In December 2013, Tesla provided an over-the-air software update that addressed potential overheating at the socket and would even protect a customer if there was bad wiring on the house side," the company said in an email. "We believe this fully addresses the problem. However, to provide additional protection for Model S customers, we have designed a new wall adapter with a thermal fuse. This upgraded adapter will be provided to all existing and new customers starting in a few weeks."

funny a couple of articles mention fireS in headline but read the article and you will see reportS of a fire. funny how the placement of the s can change things. journalists should pay more attention to their craft

I have a competent electrician, and in 5 years and two cars have had no trouble. Do people think it would be nice to write to Tesla and volunteer NOT to get a new adapter? And tell the news media that there are Tesla owners supporting the company in this way?

Anyway, I just sent the following to ownership:
I hereby would like to save Tesla some money and request that you NOT ship me a new adaptor in response to the current silliness in the media. Nothing bad has happened to our outlets in 5 years of owning a Roadster and 18 months with a Model S, so we don't feel a need.

Your PR department can feel free to quote me on this. I'm also trying to drum up others to do the same on the Tesla Motors Club forum.

with sincere appreciation for the car and the customer service,
Greg.

Last edited:
I have a competent electrician, and in 5 years and two cars have had no trouble. Do people think it would be nice to write to Tesla and volunteer NOT to get a new adapter? And tell the news media that there are Tesla owners supporting the company in this way?

My guess Tesla would prefer that you have the new adaptor. After the design and tooling is done and paid for, and as these are injection molded, the cost per individual adaptor is likely only a couple of dollars/unit anyway. Plus, in your travels, you might happen to plug into an outlet of questionable quality.

My guess Tesla would prefer that you have the new adaptor. After the design and tooling is done and paid for, and as these are injection molded, the cost per individual adaptor is likely only a couple of dollars/unit anyway. Plus, in your travels, you might happen to plug into an outlet of questionable quality.

This.

Smart move on Tesla's part to add some certainty in the part they can control (the adapter) to deal with uncertainty in the parts they can't control (the socket, the wall wiring).

Last edited:
In year 1 of the Chevy Volt, back in 2011, the Level 1 adapter was wired somewhat poorly and caused some plug burning (120V). They replaced the unit entirely but required the old one handed back. This is a possible liability issue if you choose not to take the new, upgraded unit, and then end up with a claim and your insurance company finds out that you did not follow the advice of the vendor with their request for you to use the upgraded unit. Even thinking of saving Tesla some money - consider taking it anyway so you can wipe away any non-compliance liability on your part. "Just eat your broccoli, it's good for you."

Zzzz. Thx. Could someone please post the full txt. Even the little bit that I can see of the article suggests that Strickland is saying that NHTSA us trying to decide if a thicker plate on bottom is needed or not. So in other words, this IS the solution that NHTSA is thinking about (as opposed to other potentially expensive solutions such as relocating the battery). Battery relo would've been devastating. Plate thickness isn't terribly painful unless exotic materials are demanded at that doesn't appear to be the case.... Just thicker aluminum if anything at all

I'm not happy with this lengthy investigation at all and in my opinion a thicker plate isn't needed at all because even in the event of a battery puncture the driver is warned and the car shuts down and driver has minutes to exit the vehicle. In other words, there's no safety issue. It's already been said that no amount of plate thickness will stop the 25 tons per sq inch of force caused by the lever action of the trailer hitch.

These paywall sites are obligated to let readers from google see two full articles a month (i think) if they want google to index them. Google the title of the article and then go via google to the site and you can see the whole text.

These paywall sites are obligated to let readers from google see two full articles a month (i think) if they want google to index them. Google the title of the article and then go via google to the site and you can see the whole text.

NHTSA Still Studying Tesla Fires, Departing Administrator Says

Strength of Lower Shielding on Model S Questioned After Two Fires

Mike Ramsey
connect

Jan. 10, 2014 5:22 p.m. ET
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration continues to study Tesla Motors Inc.'s Model S on whether the shielding underneath the vehicle is strong enough after two vehicles in October burned after running over road debris.
David Strickland, the departing NHTSA administrator David Strickland, in an interview Friday, said "Tesla has been very helpful in providing information" and that the investigation continues.
Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk has said the vehicle is safe, but took action to cover any fire damage under the vehicle warranty and is installing software that raises the vehicle at highway speeds to avoid similar accidents.
In both cases, the driver of the vehicle had time to park the car and get out before the fire spread to the rest of the vehicle.
In separate news, Tesla is attempting to remedy problems with in-home chargers that could overheat. Tesla says poor wiring could cause overheating and in December sent an over-the-air software update to address the problem. The company said Friday it was sending owners a new wall charging adapter with a thermal fuse over the next few weeks to fully correct any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.