Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks to me like those people who were anticipating news yesterday are selling off now. I think we'll hold 147 into the auto show, as it was at 147 a few days ago before riding all the way up to 154. Yesterday I was shorting calls while the stock was in the 150's, today I started to short a few puts at this point.

Bah, that's my error. Silly Google charting feed went wacky. There was no sharp dip at all. Move along, nothing to see here!

No error, TSLA moved even lower than 148 and there goes two days of gains down the drain. It keeps just hovering just above the intraday low and keeps selling off. Hopefully we see some buying going into the close.

On the technical side of things, TSLA looked like it was set up to take off and trade above 154 on Monday but that momentum fizzled and it moved below some support levels that's now acting as resistance. TSLA definitely needs some catalyst to keep it trading above 150 for more than a day or two. Otherwise, we're in for more choppy days full of downward pressure.

I don't think there is particularly strong downward pressure. We have been basically doing nothing since the start of December when we got above $140 - which was a "rise" from the big fall from grace.

The only way is up IMO - we have the Detroit Motor Show and the Model X campaign which will start in earnest then, leading up to its release.

I even saw one of the garbage blogs correctly attribute one of the three fires to "reckless driving" yesterday - nice that it is finally getting out there in print. The fire issue will disappear soon.

I don't think there is particularly strong downward pressure. We have been basically doing nothing since the start of December when we got above $140 - which was a "rise" from the big fall from grace.

The only way is up IMO - we have the Detroit Motor Show and the Model X campaign which will start in earnest then, leading up to its release.

I even saw one of the garbage blogs correctly attribute one of the three fires to "reckless driving" yesterday - nice that it is finally getting out there in print. The fire issue will disappear soon.

Yes, let's all try to put out those f***s.
(Meaning, foams, of course.)
And concentrate on fuelling the company, and TSLA.

With all the talk of the auto show, people might be forgetting we're still waiting for the NHTSA report, which should be another nice catalyst. Would be awesome if that came next week, before the auto show.

I really wonder if we're hyping up the auto show too much? Tesla can possibly not be ready to show the Model X or want to have their own press event at a later time. I don't know how much that would hurt the short term price. Or, even if they do announce the Model X but say nothing about reservations, timeline, etc then I'm not sure I'm even confident that that will be a strong enough catalyst to break $155. We are consolidating nicely and might make big moves up or down, just not sure if the auto show will bring that news.

Off topic here, but it is interesting to note that since the stock crossed 150 around Christmas, it has consolidated between 147-152ish and the IV for LEAPS have gone down and are cheaper than 2 weeks ago after the run up from 140 at the same stock price. Might be a good time to pick some up before the next move (assuming up). What do you experts think of that? Is 2 weeks of consolidation enough to change the IV significantly and thus the price of LEAPS?

Off topic here, but it is interesting to note that since the stock crossed 150 around Christmas, it has consolidated between 147-152ish and the IV for LEAPS have gone down and are cheaper than 2 weeks ago after the run up from 140 at the same stock price. Might be a good time to pick some up before the next move (assuming up). What do you experts think of that? Is 2 weeks of consolidation enough to change the IV significantly and thus the price of LEAPS?

I'm a LEAPS investor and this looks like a great time to add; relatively lo IV and consolidated going into potential catalysts. I started loading at $165 and down including at $125 - for what it's worth I would recommend buying LEAPS calls here- J15 or J16

Re the Gigafactory

There's been some speculation recently in this thread about the possible location of the Gigafactory being Fremont. I'm beginning to doubt it. A little bird chirped in my ear this week that it may not even be located in California, and that the location isn't finalized yet. We shall see.

Re the Gigafactory

There's been some speculation recently in this thread about the possible location of the Gigafactory being Fremont. I'm beginning to doubt it. A little bird chirped in my ear this week that it may not even be located in California, and that the location isn't finalized yet. We shall see.

Not news, not really ... I've been saying that for awhile. Various threads. But it makes no sense to put it in Fremont.

I'm going to weigh in here too. i think the the battery manufacturing is 1) unique enough 2) scaled enough 3) modularized (for the final assembly) enough 4) stand alone economically separate from the car enough that
the tradeoff of advantages for other locations to the proximity of final delivery are cleary in favor of an alternate location.

I'll go further in pointing out that Tesla has demonstrated to all of us that a battery pack can be installed automatically in less time than it takes to fill your gas tank.

IMHO look for battery packs to made in one (massive) location and shipped to service centers around the world. Final assemblies in the Fremont plant and others opened in Asia and Europe to coordinate with service centers (who deliver the vehicles anyway) to install the battery for the final delivery. Assembly of the 'battery pack component' is a non-issue and is better done local (regionally)- remember no new build car is going to be 'driven' to it's destination- it's shipped. Shipping without the battery (shipped in bulk to regional service centers) is likely more efficient IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.