Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is fueling big TSLA trading volumes and what is driving force behind TSLA going up? I mean yesterday and today. That NJ legislative thing?

Lots of small to medium sized pieces of news, here's the summary

Yesterday:
- Model X Letter updating reservation holders
- Marcus Group announces chargers for Tesla at their hotel franchises (four points, intercont, hiltons)
- FT article suggestion Nissan, BMW are in talks with Tesla to collaborate on EVs
- NY signs bill allowing 5 existing locations, new locations allowed under dealer law

Today:
- Morgan Stanley bullish research note
- NJ approved bill 77-0 allowing EV direct sales
- SolarCity announces acquisition and will manufacturer panels (longer term Tesla stationary storage demand)
- Wedbush bullish reiteration

Yesterday:
- Marcus Group announces chargers for Tesla at their hotel franchises (four points, intercont, hiltons)
- FT article suggestion Nissan, BMW are in talks with Tesla to collaborate on EVs
- NY signs bill allowing 5 existing locations, new locations allowed under dealer law

Today:
- SolarCity announces acquisition and will manufacturer panels (longer term Tesla stationary storage demand)

Don't forget what's going on in Iraq and the price of crude oil. If there was a better time to start producing your own energy to power things like cars, I don't know when that would be. Tesla and Solar City are in the right place at the right time.

Yesterday:

Today:
Thanx! I missed more than half of what listed above
gigi.gif

Easy to do. TMC gets chatty when times are green :)

The level of chattiness is indicating that it may be time to sell some shorter term options, but the breakout theory kind of makes that hard ;) Tesla has moved well over 15% in two days, so have most of my other holdings (JASO, SPWR, CSIQ) so whole portfolio is up 25% in two days with conservative positions. Makes one suspicious. But I'm not selling any TSLA calls yet ;)

As reported by Benz on another thread:
Elon Musk will be talking to CNBC at 4pm ET (17-6-2014).
Does anybody think that the ground for a second GF financing round is being laid as we speak?1?

CNBC's media alert suggests Elon will be wearing his SpaceX hat:

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk will speak with CNBC's "Closing Bell" today at 4PM ET. SpaceX was named #1 today on CNBC's second annual CNBC Disruptor 50 list.

First people to Mars in 10-12 years. Self-sustaining city on Mars is the stretch goal.

(At this point, I'm not entirely sure that Elon isn't a benevolent visitor from Vulcan.)

"Compelling mass-market car in about 3 years!"

"We are more than happy to have other car companies use superchargers, but their cars have to be able to take the power levels delivered"

Silevo deal directly addresses replacing dirty power for Teslas with high-efficiency solar panels scaling globally...

"Potentially dangerous outcome of AI development"..."There's been movies about this" ... his investment in Vicarious is to "keep an eye on AI" ... Talking about Terminator now. "Some scary outcomes...we shoudl try to make sure that the outcomes are good and not bad."

"Re-writing human genetics"

"Main concern is gigafactory is ready when gen III car is ready. Not trying to "put the screws" to states in choosing. Going to move forward with at least 2 maybe 3 locations"

Sorry for sloppiness -- trying to mini-liveblog for our non-USA friends there.

Last edited:
Interesting interview with Elon regarding SpaceX, really that much new regarding Tesla, patents, Supercharging or SCTY. Elon claims again there is not "grand plan" for the patent move, just the right thing to do and that since the large manufacturers haven't been trying to copy Tesla there is no need/use for the patents. "Committed to be CEO until production of mass market vehicle". "The question is if I'll be CEO in 5 years". Re Gigafactory: "We're not setting up states against each other, our goal is to have the factory ready when we start producing the mass market car". "Moving forward with at least 2, maybe 3, locations"

BTW really well conducted interview, interesting questions, well read-up hosts, jumping from subject to subject and company to company.

The guy in the lower right corner on the panel discussing the interview afterwards says: "The big car manufacturers are not developing EVs, maybe even now when Tesla are releasing their patents. Maybe they know something we don't - maybe EVs will forever be a very small nice product of enthusiasts. Wouldn't that be something?" First of all obviously he's wrong but what's more interesting he is posing the question like what he is suggesting is a novel and challenging idea, i.e. the general consensus now is that EVs are not niche products but the future...

Last edited:
Always excellent to hear an interview with Elon. He sounded very upbeat and sharp. I could hear a lot of excitement and confidence in his voice. For those of us on this board, we've heard his answers to almost all of these questions before, and he usually strikes a very consistent beat with his answers. This time I heard a slightly different answer to one question than I've heard before.

When asked about electric cars simply moving the emissions to the coal fired plant (paraphrase), he didn't answer with the customary "even if it's powered by pure coal, it's still way better than gasoline in an ICE" type answer. Instead he sort of admitted the point, and used it as a lead in to talk about solar power and sustainable energy.

I realize the reason is obviously that there is a Solar City announcement in the news that is a huge deal, and it was a good opportunity for him to talk about that.

I guess I'm just not used to him conceding that point of emissions being equivalent. I know that his overall perspective is that we really need both sides of the equation, sustainable energy production and consumption. It just seemed to me that he conceded a point which could be construed as "electric cars are great but they are no good until the world is solar powered".

Did any of you have the same thought?

Last edited:
Always excellent to hear an interview with Elon. He sounded very upbeat and sharp. I could hear a lot of excitement and confidence in his voice. For those of us on this board, we've heard his answers to almost all of these questions before, and he usually strikes a very consistent beat with his answers. This time I heard a slightly different answer to one question than I've heard before.

When asked about electric cars simply moving the emissions to the coal fired plant (paraphrase), he didn't answer with the customary "even if it's powered by pure coal, it's still way better than gasoline in an ICE" type answer. Instead he sort of admitted the point, and used it as a lead in to talk about solar power and sustainable energy.

I realize the reason is obviously that there is a Solar City announcement in the news that is a huge deal, and it was a good opportunity for him to talk about that.

I guess I'm just not used to him conceding that point of emissions, to the extent of making the point that we really need both sides of the equation, sustainable energy production and consumption. It just seemed to me that he conceded a point which could be construed as "electric cars are great but they are no good until the world is solar powered".

Agree. He picks his fights wisely. There is a time for everything. We know that the EV is great even if 100% coal generated power is used to charge it but this was not the right setting to explain it. In the future it will be a moot point anyway, since we won't have much coal generated electricity anyway.

Agree. He picks his fights wisely. There is a time for everything. We know that the EV is great even if 100% coal generated power is used to charge it but this was not the right setting to explain it. In the future it will be a moot point anyway, since we won't have much coal generated electricity anyway.

Agreed Johan. I think you're right, and this was the time to talk about Solar City. Such a good interview overall! I've rarely seen all three companies get such attention in a talking head interview.

I guess I'm just not used to him conceding that point of emissions being equivalent. I know that his overall perspective is that we really need both sides of the equation, sustainable energy production and consumption. It just seemed to me that he conceded a point which could be construed as "electric cars are great but they are no good until the world is solar powered".

I think the transition to the Solar City news was more Tesla related than it appears at first blush. Tesla will be able to get solar panels from Solar City and store energy in battery packs at Supercharging stations. Meanwhile, Solar City will use battery packs for energy storage at homes and businesses. It is a symbiotic relationship.

I think we are starting to see more of the "Master Plan" unfold. Supply limitations, costs and the impacts from market fluctuations would be well managed and controlled for both companies. Simply brilliant.

Shark Tank guy Kevin O'Leary talking after made a really dumb comment how there would be resistance on the Gen 3 and how electric cars are just a toy for the rich enthusiasts. His though process was the typical well if GM, Ford, and Chrysler aren't building them maybe they know something that Tesla doesn't know. Everyone I talk to that knows about Gen 3 can't wait to put down a deposit.

Also

Status
Not open for further replies.