Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to figure out a way to get invited to the Gen III Launch party, and bring your checkbook along. That's how I got Signature #2 for the Model X. Or else be ready a day later, when reservations open up online. (Assuming Gen III follows the same pattern as previous releases, of course.)

I'll bring cash. Just need an invitation.

No one seems to be talking about how during yesterday's interview on CNBC Elon clarified his answer to the question about how long we can expect him to be CEO from the Investor's Meeting. Perhaps some/most people had already made the assumption, but I found it reassuring to hear him say that he will be involved with Tesla forever/as long as he lives, even if he chooses to give up the CEO role. Also interesting to me was his confirmation that he still plans to do something with the Hyperloop in the future (assuming whoever wants to give it a shot in the meantime doesn't succeed), as I wonder how or if this would tie in to Tesla. For me, part of my investment and belief in Tesla is that all attempts at valuation (at least that I am aware of) come up short in that they only factor in the cars. I believe that any income from stationary storage, supplying other automakers with batteries/etc, the potential Hyperloop, and things I can't even possibly envision at this time can only give us extra room to run.

No one seems to be talking about how during yesterday's interview on CNBC Elon clarified his answer to the question about how long we can expect him to be CEO from the Investor's Meeting. Perhaps some/most people had already made the assumption, but I found it reassuring to hear him say that he will be involved with Tesla forever/as long as he lives, even if he chooses to give up the CEO role.

He has actually already stated this on multiple occasions, but it's good to hear reiterated. Probably why we aren't talking too much about it. :)

You need to figure out a way to get invited to the Gen III Launch party, and bring your checkbook along. That's how I got Signature #2 for the Model X. Or else be ready a day later, when reservations open up online. (Assuming Gen III follows the same pattern as previous releases, of course.)

Been pondering that for a while now and I've even asked reps at the store, but since a MS/MX is out of budget for me (and I assume owners will have priority) realistically not expecting to get invited unless somehow the TMC gods (or princesses) smile upon me :tongue:

He has actually already stated this on multiple occasions, but it's good to hear reiterated. Probably why we aren't talking too much about it. :)

agreed- it was already assumed. Many have expressed and I agree- Once the company is beyond GENIII he would actually be even more effective if someone else was running the company and he was Chairman and strategic development.

Those of you with technical expertise, can you comment on whether TSLA now has a gap to fill back down to 215 or whatever? I don't understand these gap fills, but it seems like every time there is a big jump up or down it always retraces back and it is blamed on a gap fill.

Those "gaps" are when there is a huge jump after hours so all those orders are sitting there in the skipped over prices and it puts pressure on the machine to drive the price in that direction in order to attempt to fill those orders. In this case, both jumps happened during normal hours and over a period of the entire day (the first jump) and then the first hour of trading. If you look at the after-hours on both days it was actually very flat and the stock opened pretty close to its previous close.

In short, based on my understanding of "gap fills" this would not be something of concern in this instance.

I believe we're already there. X reservations are > 16k, and I believe the S was being delivered when reservation count was in the low 5 figures.

Oh, I guess I was basing it on the last reservation number given out, since they kept giving people those numbers up until they cleared out all the backlog (or most all of the backlog) Which I thought was in the 20k region... but I could be wrong. In either case, reservations will be higher than the S no matter how you slice that one :)

Btw one person who's contemplating buying a signature X talked with Tesla and mentioned the 16k reservation number and the Tesla rep said he wishes it were that good, but it's not nearly as many. I'm guessing the double counting in the sig vs production etc probably leads the number to be overestimated and probably a number of slots have cancelled their reservation as well. So I'd be a tick more conservative with that number and put it somewhere in the 12-13k ballpark.

Btw one person who's contemplating buying a signature X talked with Tesla and mentioned the 16k reservation number and the Tesla rep said he wishes it were that good, but it's not nearly as many. I'm guessing the double counting in the sig vs production etc probably leads the number to be overestimated and probably a number of slots have cancelled their reservation as well. So I'd be a tick more conservative with that number and put it somewhere in the 12-13k ballpark.
alwats question such info. Why would he be privy to such info? Would not make any decisions based on this. Long timers here have read this type of info, usually not correct

Well I don't think the Tally numbers are right either :) There is definitely some double counting of people who reserved a production spot and upgraded and possibly some who downgraded. Then there are also cancellations that are not tracked by the Tally as it'd be impossible to track. So I'd expect the actual total reservations to be about 80% or so of the latest reservation numbers to be slightly conservative and that gets me to the ballpark I gave with anecdotal evidence from a Sig X buyer in this weeks discussion with Tesla reps.

I don't think anyone thinks 16k is the real number, but what we can track very well is the rate of uptake, that is, how fast the number itself is climbing. This is a good indicator of overall want for the product since the faster the number climbs you can infer that more people are, at the very least, interested in the product.

If I am not mistaken we are climbing at a much faster rate than at this same time for the MS, and we haven't even hit the huge catalyst which is the beta release, and the reveal of the final pricings. Many people are waiting on the fence until they know how much it is going to cost and what the final design is going to look like, and, as with the MS, there will be a huge jump at that time in the rate of new reservations.

80% is likely a good solid conservative number.

Status
Not open for further replies.