Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Elon...this stock is manic-depressive.

Just bought more at 215...down 10% from 240 (without any real change in the story) makes it a buy, in my book.

Describes the stock well. I do think the run up from 200ish to 240 was on lack of any news and people anticipating the GF announcement. While Elon did not promise a site(s) reveal in June I think the lack of any word about it coupled with the FUD about Norway demand and now FUD about crashes and finally the market as a whole coming down a bit we are in another 'negative mojo' phase.

Describes the stock well. I do think the run up from 200ish to 240 was on lack of any news and people anticipating the GF announcement. While Elon did not promise a site(s) reveal in June I think the lack of any word about it coupled with the FUD about Norway demand and now FUD about crashes and finally the market as a whole coming down a bit we are in another 'negative mojo' phase.
Since I have solars in my portfolio I noticed the situation in Iraq leading to higher oil prices and higher prices for Tesla and solar stocks. Now the oil price is easing and so is the price of these stocks. It is another possibility that Tesla is somewhat in an alternative energy category. The only thing I really know is you can't explain short-term stock movements.

This big difference between now and last big 'negative mojo' phase in March/April is that we are expecting Gigafactory news any day now.

The market is having a big dump today and TSLA is following suit. I find it funny the timing of the recent crashes and bots / bear attack this week, especially around holiday times when the volume is usually much lower as people are on vacation and away from the market, when hedge funds and shorts can make a larger influence on the stock price.

The market is having a big dump today and TSLA is following suit. I find it funny the timing of the recent crashes and bots / bear attack this week, especially around holiday times when the volume is usually much lower as people are on vacation and away from the market, when hedge funds and shorts can make a larger influence on the stock price.

That describes the situation well. Until Elon announces a Gigafactory groundbreaking, the shorts feel they are in control. They spew out FUD on sites like Seeking Alpha, and some of their other media friends go along with it. The hedge fund bots pick up on the articles and short the stock enough to trigger the tight stop loss limits set by weak longs. That leads to something like a cascade of dominoes. We used to call this effect Tesla Tuesday, and it seems to have resurfaced. Eventually this backfires on any shorts who do not quickly cover. Look for remaining stubborn shorts to get spanked by upcoming Gigafactory news.

That describes the situation well. Until Elon announces a Gigafactory groundbreaking, the shorts feel they are in control. They spew out FUD on sites like Seeking Alpha, and some of their other media friends go along with it. The hedge fund bots pick up on the articles and short the stock enough to trigger the tight stop loss limits set by weak longs. That leads to something like a cascade of dominoes. We used to call this effect Tesla Tuesday, and it seems to have resurfaced. Eventually this backfires on any shorts who do not quickly cover. Look for remaining stubborn shorts to get spanked by upcoming Gigafactory news.

Curt, When do you see this news coming? If we get no word by the time of ER then the shorts will be in control of the price action for another month. In addition, Elon will get hammered with questions at the ER conference call. I get that Elon did not give a hard date for this GF announcement but his answer did give the impression that 'next month' did mean by the end of June.

Curt, When do you see this news coming? If we get no word by the time of ER then the shorts will be in control of the price action for another month. In addition, Elon will get hammered with questions at the ER conference call. I get that Elon did not give a hard date for this GF announcement but his answer did give the impression that 'next month' did mean by the end of June.

I had thought it might have come early this week. But now Elon may want the news of holiday car crashes to simmer down before releasing fresh news about the Gigafactory. He would want the questions from reporters and analysts to focus on the latter. My guess would be quite soon, and well before the next earnings report is released.

I had thought it might have come early this week. But now Elon may want the news of holiday car crashes to simmer down before releasing fresh news about the Gigafactory. He would want the questions from reporters and analysts to focus on the latter. My guess would be quite soon, and well before the next earnings report is released.

I would guess that if it doesn't come out in the next week or so by TM or Elon then it will be too close to their Earnings Report and they will save their official release on the subject for there instead, although it's possible we might hear rumors of where they have picked with no comment for Tesla until their ER which would confirm those rumors at that time.

I would guess that if it doesn't come out in the next week or so by TM or Elon then it will be too close to their Earnings Report and they will save their official release on the subject for there instead, although it's possible we might hear rumors of where they have picked with no comment for Tesla until their ER which would confirm those rumors at that time.

Either scenario would be preferable to no real or leaked news before ER. While the FUDmeisters will have their day(s) I would prefer they not have the next 30 days all to themselves:smile:

Thanks

Curt, do you think California might have presented a good enough offer to make Elon consider delaying the announcement and choosing one if the two sites in Cali?

It appears that Tesla is considering the California offer.

from July 7, 2014 article: Tesla Motors Q&A: Batteries, Superchargers, Gigafactory and More - Pg.2 - TheStreet

Ciaccia: Is there any update on the Gigafactory location and which of the three states is most likely to get the final build?

Sproule: When we initially announced plans in February, there were four states in the running (NM, AZ, TX, NV). We are also considering CA now as well. We have no updates on specific locations or which states are ahead of others.

It appears that Tesla is considering the California offer.

from July 7, 2014 article: Tesla Motors Q&A: Batteries, Superchargers, Gigafactory and More - Pg.2 - TheStreet

Ciaccia: Is there any update on the Gigafactory location and which of the three states is most likely to get the final build?

Sproule: When we initially announced plans in February, there were four states in the running (NM, AZ, TX, NV). We are also considering CA now as well. We have no updates on specific locations or which states are ahead of others.

All the Cali residents on this forum know your state better than I so take this from someone on the east coast......Is there any way that Cali can cut through all the red tape/environmental things quick enough to make it the #1 site? In addition, won't there be tremendous court challenges by the powerful environmentalist? I can see it be # 3 with Nevada and Texas being #1 and #2 respectively.

Man people seriously don't learn. So the old topics have come to the forefront again.

1. Demand "plateauing."
2. The China patent troll lawsuit
3. "f*res"

History repeats itself. We, on this forum, need to capitalize on that before the 219 becomes the new 55. We may not all be Elon, but we certainly look smart when others are foolish.

All the Cali residents on this forum know your state better than I so take this from someone on the east coast......Is there any way that Cali can cut through all the red tape/environmental things quick enough to make it the #1 site? In addition, won't there be tremendous court challenges by the powerful environmentalist? I can see it be # 3 with Nevada and Texas being #1 and #2 respectively.

All the red tape can be preempted by statute.

I don't foresee any problems with actual environmentalist but with nimbyist using environmentalism as pre-text.

Or the nutjobs planting anti-Tesla flyers in the Bay Area. Certain groups that have an irrational hatred for BEVs using environmental reports as pre-text for filing delaying lawsuits.

Again this can be preempted by law. When Staples Center basketball-hockey Arena was built in Los Angeles the developers knew they could be trapped in red tape for decades and the California legislature passed a law requiring any lawsuits to prevent its building to be filled withing one year and arbitrators to render binding judgement within 2 years. They can pass similar laws for Tesla with an even faster process if the legislature had the votes to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.