Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmm, that is quite a bar to set since the Veyron did 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and would make it in the top 3 for a production car in the 0-60 category.

It has the drag ratio to do it, the weight is questionable, but the power just isn't there (yet). I don't know if they can get that much power draw out of an 85kW to go that fast. It is like how there is an upper limit to just how fast you can push a V8 before you have to upgrade to a larger engine if you want to go faster. Even the McLaren P1 was only able to go 2.6 seconds using an electric motor to help them get there.

If they can pull this off it would be amazing! But I would be extremely happy getting a giant sedan going under 3.5 seconds!

Yes, think about the halo effect on the brand and for EV's in general. Really brings home the zero compromise of EV's in terms of performance, and like you said, for a sedan those numbers would be even more amazing! I am still eagerly awaiting Model 3 though, cheque book is ready...

Let's bring it back to Short Term TSLA movements. More importantly, with TSLA building a supercar it shows that there is demand and that the company is maturing by expanding their product portfolio with higher margin vehicles. They probably saw that the uptake of P85+'s was higher than they thought. That and they are probably seeing that markets such as Germany demand a faster car for the autobahn and what not.

What's the key take away here is... this is going to fatten up the gross margin on the P&L and get us to an even better margin faster. Doing this, they can increase free cash flow and invest in more gigafactories and shut down the haters. There's also non-financial benefits in building a halo car. Remember those posters in your rooms of a lamborghini... I can see a P85D+ hanging in many people's rooms (well in this case... serving as desktop/phone wallpaper).

Key takeaways:
1. Appetite for MORE Tesla Products
2. Increased brand recognition
3. Development of car company - more variants
4. Increased ability to fulfill demand in areas such as the North East
5. Higher margin, FASTER.
6. Ability to expand into market with appetite for faster vehicles

LOL I just got DaveT's newsletter as I was typing this... many points echoed.

More margins is good, but unlike aznt1217 I don't see much positive public reception in terms of halo/branding. Tesla already has heavy brand recognition in performance.

For people touting the "cars for the rich" theme, this is more ammunition. For people like me that would point at Elon's master plan, this looks like a regression that's hard to defend. AWD is good, but I'd rather it was touted for the bad weather handling angle than performance.

I really hope Tesla can announce something more mainstream as the "something else" to balance out the super car bit.

AWD is good, but I'd rather it was touted for the bad weather handling angle than performance.

In this case the Model S P85D works both for performance and bad weather, but the experience that Tesla is going to get with this super car will be certainly useful for future cheaper cars. It's always like this when you have a completely new technology.
To this concern we should remember that the Model S P85D is the only electric car having AWD in the world with two engines. When you start from scratch a new technology first devices are more expansive.
IMO we will have in 2016 a Gen III AWD that will be much cheaper thanks to the work that Tesla is doing now with the Model S P85D.

More margins is good, but unlike aznt1217 I don't see much positive public reception in terms of halo/branding. Tesla already has heavy brand recognition in performance.

For people touting the "cars for the rich" theme, this is more ammunition. For people like me that would point at Elon's master plan, this looks like a regression that's hard to defend. AWD is good, but I'd rather it was touted for the bad weather handling angle than performance.

I really hope Tesla can announce something more mainstream as the "something else" to balance out the super car bit.

true, but I'm sure everyone on this board is getting really tired of the i8 vs Model S comparisons...

The marketing would also be awesome. Think: We're building a supercar so we can utilize the R&D in this in future models. It can also accelerate adoption of EV's in all channels of the market and help provide further funding for projects to get to Model 3 faster.

When you start from scratch a new technology first devices are more expansive.
AWD is good, but I hope it's not just a super car item. I'd rather it was pushed as an option on every car for folks in bad weather. I don't want Tesla to keep waving that super car flag over and over. We've got a Roadster! We've got a P85! We've got a P85+! We've got a P85+D!

Yea, yea, I get it, Tesla keeps announcing upgrades to make even faster cars for the upper few percent. When does Tesla announce something that makes the lower end S to be even more affordable, something that'd be in line with The Master Plan?

The line about new tech for initial devices is wearing awfully thin 6 years after Tesla released the Roadster and 2 years after the S started rolling off the line. I'd be expecting Tesla to trickle tech down, not keep pushing it higher into the super car stratosphere.

Correct.

Taking a picture of a vehicle at a public location and posting the image to a forum isn't exactly what I would put in the category of "insider trading moves".
Is that a public airfield? Or a private one? Regardless doesn't matter even if he did trade on it for the past 2 weeks without posting it here after the announcement had happened. I wish that he had posted it earlier so everyone here could have made money before the announcement :(

This is pretty much the entire philosophy of racing investment (for the car companies).

Of course... but the mainstream public probably has no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

AWD is good, but I hope it's not just a super car item. I'd rather it was pushed as an option on every car for folks in bad weather. I don't want Tesla to keep waving that super car flag over and over. We've got a Roadster! We've got a P85! We've got a P85+! We've got a P85+D!

Yea, yea, I get it, Tesla keeps announcing upgrades to make even faster cars for the upper few percent. When does Tesla announce something that makes the lower end S to be even more affordable, something that'd be in line with The Master Plan?

The line about new tech for initial devices is wearing awfully thin 6 years after Tesla released the Roadster and 2 years after the S started rolling off the line. I'd be expecting Tesla to trickle tech down, not keep pushing it higher into the super car stratosphere.

I honestly think it's a push for the north east market. I know a ton of people who bought an Audi A8/6 or a S 4Matic who were on the verge of a Model S, but couldn't get over the psychological hump of a AWD. Even though the most Tesla's per capita are sold in Norway...

They could go downmarket more, but it wouldn't even make sense. They've said they want to make a compelling product. It's almost no question that they can release something that would stomp a B-class/Leaf... but it wouldn't be as compelling as the team would want (something akin to a 3 series)

I honestly think it's a push for the north east market. I know a ton of people who bought an Audi A8/6 or a S 4Matic who were on the verge of a Model S, but couldn't get over the psychological hump of a AWD. Even though the most Tesla's per capita are sold in Norway...
And that'd be great. Like I said, I really hope it's an add on that's available for any model, not just for a new super performance version.

If Tesla can really pull of 2.5S 0-60 times, that would be very impressive.
maybe that's another reason to have the event at an airport, runnway makes for a nice demo of that capability.

FYI -- The Porsche 911 S and 911 4S differ by only 0.1 sec in the 0-60 test. Same amount of power, distributed to 4 wheels instead of 2, doesn't make much of a difference in maximum acceleration.

To get a 0-60 time near or below 3 seconds, the Model S might need about double the power of a P85. Double the power output might not be possible with the 85 kWh pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.