Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uuuh, what happened, about 10 minutes ago second rally started and we're past $164 now :D I closed majority of my weekly calls way too early today. "only" made +200% on them, but I still have one Jan 31st $157.5 left that I bought for $2.2 and that's up 300% from that now. With the rally post-closing it'll be far more tomorrow and if the squeeze continues it'll keep going. Also of course all the LEAPs that I hold and the only option I've kept around since Q3 slaughter is my March $180 and it's at the least amount of loss since November :D Might actually get it green if the rally continues :)

It was in the TSLA news section of my TD Ameritrade account. However, my favorite news there today was the closing price of the large number of Jan 135 call contracts I bought yesterday 12 seconds before the market close. That's in addition to the significant stock position that I obtained nearly a year ago, for which I have never added or sold. I have mainly used options to write covered calls against my long position before possible drops in share price, as I did throughout much of the autumn. I was long call options for a while during the mid-year run-up and again just now. Congratulations to fellow long-term shareholders, and to those who joined me in taking a bullish options position before today's press conference at the auto show. It's too bad we can't all get together this evening to celebrate.

Thanks, and congratulations both long and short term. You'll be happy to see the afterhours quote if you haven't yet. I'll buy everyone a round at the imaginary celebration!

- - - Updated - - -

Any possibility for more analyst upgrades this week? The higher than expected deliveries and the emphasis on the continued growth seem like the kind of things they look for.

It wouldn't be surprising to see a few more upgrades or reiterates buys tonight/tomorrow.

As much as I like the idea of holding on and not selling too early - I still have my $21 shares which everyone wanted me to sell at like $60 - I think I'd be pretty satisfied with 4,000% in a week. Even if it goes up more, you can be pretty happy with that.

Maybe sell half of them?

Fango you'll have to consider your own priorities of course. This belongs in another thread, but the thing with Tesla is that it's like investing in google ten years ago. Imagine Tesla in 2024 or 2034; it might not even be primarily a car company by then.

Fango you'll have to consider your own priorities of course. This belongs in another thread, but the thing with Tesla is that it's like investing in google ten years ago. Imagine Tesla in 2024 or 2034; it might not even be primarily a car company by then.

Naturally, but he's holding weeklies. That 4,000% can go away in minutes, just like it showed up in minutes. If you manage 4,000% with weeklies, you sell and don't worry about missing out on the next 2,000%. 4,000% is pretty damn good.

As for my priorities, my shares have not been sold. Only time I sold any shares was to convert them to LEAPs and free up some margin, which I did a little too early as a lot of IV seems to have drained out of them and they're only just green (even though I bought most of them with the stock in the high 130s I think). I'm waiting til it hits 500 and I'm a Teslanaire.

nice! Is there a link for this? Love it

TSLA 011414.jpg

$167.35 at around 1600 PST. Hope the screen shot shows well.

Because this is the short term thread Tesla is a car company. If it were in the long term thread Tesla is an energy storage company. However from the sounds of it they will be partnering and possibly creating a new company. If they do I hope they make it public and let all Tesla customers and shareholders in before the IPO.

justthateasy, will any up move ever be enough to break out of a downtrend to you? You seem to post this exact same comment every time the stock goes up.

Today's price action definitely got TSLA out of the down channel. TSLA pretty much spanned the entire range of the uptrend. On top of that, after hours price action further supported a continuation upwards.

The number I'm looking to beat tomorrow is 166.60. If TSLA can close above that, it's possible that we'll be seeing the mid-high 170s going into earnings. On the low end, mid-140s to mid-150s as a range for support. TSLA doesn't seem to like to stay in the 150s for too long and with today's news, it will probably trade between 160-180, possibly as high as 190 on the high-end between now and earnings.

The reason why I said what I said earlier about possible profit taking is because it tends to happen after a massive move upwards. Do I think TSLA will keep moving up? Of course I do. I even think we'll get a continuation of today's price action tomorrow and possibly the day after. With the high amount of short interest and TSLA being near oversold, we still have a good amount of upside to go. What I'm getting at is the reality of seeing a pullback/profit taking and timing the stock in order to maximize profit.

bDY1geGB.png

Today's price action definitely got TSLA out of the down channel. TSLA pretty much spanned the entire range of the uptrend. On top of that, after hours price action further supported a continuation upwards.

The number I'm looking to beat tomorrow is 166.60. If TSLA can close above that, it's possible that we'll be seeing the mid-high 170s going into earnings. On the low end, mid-140s to mid-150s as a range for support. TSLA doesn't seem to like to stay in the 150s for too long and with today's news, it will probably trade between 160-180, possibly as high as 190 on the high-end between now and earnings.

The reason why I said what I said earlier about possible profit taking is because it tends to happen after a massive move upwards. Do I think TSLA will keep moving up? Of course I do. I even think we'll get a continuation of today's price action tomorrow and possibly the day after. With the high amount of short interest and TSLA being near oversold, we still have a good amount of upside to go. What I'm getting at is the reality of seeing a pullback/profit taking and timing the stock in order to maximize profit.

View attachment 40852

I'm not a chartist and know hardly anything about them other than the basics, but is that a reverse head and shoulders forming?

I don't think it was a slip... it was literally the first thing he talked about. He also structured the presentation in a way that mirrors the following press release (citing safety and cold weather sales as factors for the strong numbers).

It wasn't a casual comment. He had a slideshow that he ran though and the 6900 was definitely there

Yeah he recently said it would likely hit $100 before it hit $200. He lost a lot of cred with me from that interview. I don't take him very seriously.
He lost all credibility when he wrote in his research report that 51m shares of SCTY will hit the market today due to lockup expiration, when only 2.7 hit the market today and the rest will hit the market in 30 days.

But he is right on solar, even though there is about 0% chance that SCTY will be top performing solar stock in 2014, and that is his top pick.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not believe this was planned. I believe Jerome slipped, which is why Tesla had a press release 10-25 minutes after Jerome said 6,900.

No way in a million years would someone let that slip in the first sentence they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.