Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to reiterate the significance of the China news, for anyone showing up today that may have missed this:

"Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) stock jumped almost 6% today and is now close to $200 per share again. The Chinese Finance Ministry is going to extend a subsidy program for consumers that want to buy electric vehicles. The subsidy program for electric vehicle purchases is scheduled to happen in 2015.

The Chinese government extended the program with the goal of hitting 500,000 hybrid or EV vehicles next year and 5 million by 2020. Tesla Motors is started accepting preorders for vehicles in China last August and is going to start delivering vehicles in China this month or next.
Tesla has received positive feedback from customers in China and Europe. Shipments in China could hit the same number as U.S. shipments by next year. Tesla Motors may even build a facility in China eventually."

That's a significant committment to a lot of EV's in the world's most important emerging economy, and thus far, there is no credible competition to Tesla Motors for product desirability / customer satisfaction from any manufacturer. Traders are pricing in more sales for Tesla accordingly.

This is big, and there is more good news to come.

Just to reiterate the significance of the China news, for anyone showing up today that may have missed this:

That's a significant committment to a lot of EV's in the world's most important emerging economy, and thus far, there is no credible competition to Tesla Motors for product desirability / customer satisfaction from any manufacturer. Traders are pricing in more sales for Tesla accordingly.

This is big, and there is more good news to come.

They need to extend those credits forever. Just look at the smog in Beijing. Rather... try to look through it.

Yesterday I was asking here if we expect a lot of profit taking when we hit 200, so I'm not surprised. I was tempted to set up a sell order for 200 and try to by back at the low, but burned myself way too many times trying to time the market on TSLA.

Well, I was one of those weak longs again. Had a sell limit at $200 on a bit over 5% of my TSLA. It executed overnight. I'm surprised, as my account showed execution on 2-10, but I didn't think that could happen after hours. What time did it first reach $200?

I've put in a new buy order at $190, but if it never gets that low again I'll be stuck with about only $170 per share profit.

Just broke out on with volume $198+

News?

Not sure about specific Tesla news, but as one of the last truly epic growth stocks in the market, I think there is a bit of a "flight to growth stocks" going on after Yellen's comments and US. Congress seemingly getting off their butts and making debt ceiling a non-issue. Folks are beginning to be afraid of missing upside in the market, and are getting bored and sick of holding cash on the sidelines. Just a theory. Good times.

I have advanced a similar theory, and it would be interesting to see it gain traction. That is TSLA is ironically one of the safest destinations on the NASDAQ for money in search of growth (a tech stock name that produces and exports actual hardware from the USA).

The market has been slowly creeping higher and higher throughout the day and TSLA seems to be following that after its reversal around 10:30. I'm expecting the market to close strong, and I guess TSLA would follow suit with that, too. Just for fun, I'm guessing we close ~$203

Not always a fan of posting CNBC videos, because it's just hot air, but just noticed this one and it's kind of funny:

This chart says Tesla is cheap | Talking Numbers - Yahoo Finance

The short says "this valuation is crazy, they'd have to make 330k cars a year with margins of 12.5% just to justify their current valuation!" and then says "BMW makes 5-6% on their cars" in an apparent attempt to say Tesla should be valued more like BMW. I guess in this case "short" and "long" definitely are appropriate words - short-term vs. long-term thinking. I hope I don't have to explain to anyone here how hilarious it is that this guy thinks TSLA's margins will be 5% and that he doesn't see the plan to get to 300k cars in a couple years.

Since "valuation" seems to be the only thing shorts are now clinging to, can anyone provide some good counter arguments?

I personally think valuation is sort of a gimmick but unfortunately my opinion doesn't really hold much merit..

Here are some points you may be able to build something around:

Any valuation is based on assumptions in terms of what a company should be valued at. In order to have a valuation, either there needs to be historic precedence to value something against or there has to be some kind of forward assumption and multiple as to what the company will be doing at a certain point in time and how that future reality should be priced today.

People who make the claim that Tesla is overvalued and claim to have specific data in regards to that are flawed in the sense that they are also trying to predict a future with some certainty. We are all trying to predict a future with Tesla and there is uncertainty involved. What can be irksome is the value guys out there can make it seem as if it's simply about the numbers and that this is how they should be. If anyone can predict the future 100%, then please introduce them to me and I'll be happy to give them all my money to invest!

Instead of claiming that Tesla is overvalued, they should be arguing over whether or not the company can achieve what it states and what a potential future of the company could really look like. When it comes to the stock price of Tesla, at the stage of maturity the company is in, it's largely about how the market views and values it's future state. The argument over valuation is either concerned with a true present state or a potential future state based on a bunch of assumptions.

Another great flaw in the valuation issue around Tesla is trying to benchmark the company against an industry. Is it a car company? Is it a tech company? Is it an energy company? Is it a battery company? Is it a ... (you get my point). You can see that the relative valuation of Tesla is a difficult thing to surmise at this point because in my opinion it is all of the above. It's a company that has the potential to get into so many of these different arenas which are some of the largest dollar industries in the world and this cross industry potential makes it extremely difficult to benchmark if you only think about one industry at a time for valuations.

I believe we in the Tesla community happen to be much better informed and have a clearer picture as to what that potential future state may be and we happen to believe that the stock price doesn't accurately account for that potential future yet. Realize that any stock price is somewhat disconnected from market share and has an emotional component in it. The current stage we are in is an early stage, so there is much uncertainty and FUD out there around the company (Large emotional volatility and uncertainty potential with the stock price), which in turn gives great opportunity for those who can see the future of the company more accurately than someone else and can understand if the stock price is in line with that potential future.

In the end, all stock pricing is about growth and profit and what people are willing to pay for that future. But along the way to getting to that later state stock price, there is a lot of shaking that goes with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.