Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're less than 2% away from 200. I don't think that number is necessarily a huge psychological barrier, in part because of the past discussion here about bots and trading algorithms being responsible for the majority of trades. I remember similar fears about a barrier at 100 and that one fell like a house of cards.

Anyone want to post their predictions for tomorrow's open? range? close?

I would guess volatility continues. One of these days, perhaps tomorrow...the stock will trade down $10+ during the day. Could be tomorrow, or maybe not until we reach 220ish. Just trying to mentally prepare myself not to be disappointed it it happens tomorrow.
if you told me 1 month ago that we'd be above 170 right now I'd be pretty psyched.

Holy Crap! I go away for a few days and THIS happens? Maybe I should go away more often! Did not expect to see these numbers this soon. It sounds like nobody really knows why this happened. It just did. Maybe people got tired of trying to bring Tesla down or worrying so much about Telsa GOING down, and are now just rolling with it and focusing more on the long term? Whatever it is, I like it. :)

Last edited:
I sold all the calls I had that expire this friday, but am still holding all my post earnings calls. Honestly I have no idea what to expect between now and next Wednesday. I have cash ready in case we see it pull back, but wouldn't be surprised if we see it keep trekking on past 200. Tomorrow will certainly be interesting!

Its all uncharted territory from here, there is no resistance.

Yes. I had no 'weeklies' this AM....should have bought Friday. Paid premium for some 200s today and will probably be one of those weeks where I will happy to come out with 50% loss. I suspect we will need another catalyst to get above 200, and more importantly, stay there for the short/near term. I think TSLAdopt is correct that we will see a correction. I actually think it will be tomorrow and we seesaw a little into next week/ER. (range 186-195).

Holy Crap! I go away for a few days and THIS happens? Maybe I should go away more often! Did not expect to see these numbers this soon. It sounds like nobody really knows why this happened. It just did. Maybe people got tired of trying to bring Tesla down or worrying so much about Telsa GOING down, and are now just rolling with it and focusing more on the long term? Whatever it is, I like it. :)

This is indeed crazy. While I'm happy to see shareholders rewarded, these huge jumps without much substantial news make me nervous.

It's good that EVs will get some market advantages in China, but I don't see how that justifies a 10 point gain. Maybe I'm too rational… the earnings call and NHTSA report are what I'd like to see boosting share price.

Yes. I had no 'weeklies' this AM....should have bought Friday. Paid premium for some 200s today and will probably be one of those weeks where I will happy to come out with 50% loss. I suspect we will need another catalyst to get above 200, and more importantly, stay there for the short/near term. I think TSLAdopt is correct that we will see a correction. I actually think it will be tomorrow and we seesaw a little into next week/ER. (range 186-195).

While I expect a correction back down tomorrow...this also could be a short squeeze with wheels we are in triggered by that guy Grantham last week....his letter and change to bullishness on TSLA. Took a couple days to sink in but the biggest TSLA shorts are value investors who look up to Grantham. When their legend/mentor says his mind has changed on TSLA after driving it...I think that is their worst nightmares and the shorts could be covering today and much of this week driving the price up another 20 points+

This is indeed crazy. While I'm happy to see shareholders rewarded, these huge jumps without much substantial news make me nervous.

It's good that EVs will get some market advantages in China, but I don't see how that justifies a 10 point gain. Maybe I'm too rational… the earnings call and NHTSA report are what I'd like to see boosting share price.

I disagree somewhat. The Chinese have just in effect signaled that they are that much more committed to an electric transportation future, and opened yet another (generous) door for Tesla Motors to succeed. They may end up being the most important consumers of electric transportation (and solar, incidentally) in the coming years / decades.

Also, the Taiwanese parts supplier report was definitely a big pre-earnings hint at some successful milestones being crossed by Tesla. This and the Chinese announcment combined to make some tantalizing valuation numbers pop out of a bunch of spreadsheets in Manhattan, and that is what sent things up.

Also, the NHTSA report has already been partially priced in by the German all-clear report. I don't doubt it will move the stock up, but I believe today's move was about Wall St. analysts and traders updating their models to show production constraints being removed and increased sales pipeline in arguably the most important global economy outside the USA over the next 10-20 years.

And there is more to come. Hang on to your hats, folks.

While I expect a correction back down tomorrow...this also could be a short squeeze with wheels we are in triggered by that guy Grantham last week....his letter and change to bullishness on TSLA. Took a couple days to sink in but the biggest TSLA shorts are value investors who look up to Grantham. When their legend/mentor says his mind has changed on TSLA after driving it...I think that is their worst nightmares and the shorts could be covering today and much of this week driving the price up another 20 points+

I hope you are correct. With the move over the last 10 days I am getting concerned that a lot of the good news/positive catalysts is being built into the current price. While I do not see a negative catalysts on the horizon (of course one never does!) I am having a hard time rationalizing another 20 points. But I agree with your premise that if it moves upward hard tomorrow or by week's end it will be the short squeeze that does it not more positive news.
Next positive news event is 2014 Guidance (China orders, Giga factory, production ramp)

- - - Updated - - -

And there is more to come. Hang on to your hats, folks.
Yes! (or should I say, I hope so)

I believe we should see some resistance at 200$, however, it won't be too much. We probably do need a catalyst to stay above 200$, and that is going to be the shorts covering - with the margin calls.

What r some options strategies you guys r thinking of for tomorrow? I have sold all calls I had today, except for 2 for post-earrings.

Here are my charts. 200 is looking like an area of tough resistance as TSLA struggled to break that today. Let's see if TSLA can break it in the coming days otherwise, we'll be seeing the previous high of 194.50 holds as a support level. If TSLA has started a new channel, the new support line starts at around 190 if 194 breaks down. Otherwise, it's back to the channel it was in.

As far as technicals goes, we're definitely in uncharted territory and I drew the best line I could for upper resistance. If TSLA goes into earnings at these levels and Tesla really delivers next week, I'm predicting we see TSLA goes as high as 220 the next day.

IDzDAWaA.png

7NrC1aNV.png

Pricing for Hong Kong was revealed today, as well as plans to develop a SC network in HK. The prices are in line with the "fair price" theme... pretty much identical to US prices + shipping/homogation costs. Given how small an area Hong Kong island is, I would expect Tesla to have a lot of success there.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

I used to live in HK and know how relatively tiny it is, like 18 x 25 miles, so I was surprised to hear they are planning an SC 'network'.

But the vast majority of people live in high-rise apartments, so I guess the convenience of a rapid fill-up is needed more than the enabling of any long distance travel within HK.

Also, just over the border is the giant Shenzhen / Guangzhou industrial zone that stretches for 100's of miles in all directions and I'm assuming that Tesla will be putting dozens of SC's within the Chinese mainland as well.

I cant find a link to any Tesla website illustrating what the Chinese SC network will look like. Has anyone seen one ??

Pricing for Hong Kong was revealed today, as well as plans to develop a SC network in HK. The prices are in line with the "fair price" theme... pretty much identical to US prices + shipping/homogation costs. Given how small an area Hong Kong island is, I would expect Tesla to have a lot of success there.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

HKD463,350 = USD 60,235
HKD673,570 = USD 87,564
In saving against a comparable ICE Car

This makes Hong Kong the Norway of Asia in terms of EVs.

FIRST REGISTRATION TAX WAIVER

First Registration Tax in Hong Kong is currently waived for electric vehicles. Assuming this waiver is extended for the next fiscal year, Model S owners will realize upfront savings of at least HK$463,350 on Model S 60kWh to at least HK$673,570 for Model S Performance 85. In addition, annual registration fees are much lower than the alternatives. While similar vehicles would require annual registration fees of at least HK$5,794 to as much as HK$11,329, we anticipate Model S annual registration fees to be at least 75 percent lower on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.