Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...So, I called Tesla at 888-518-3752, and the person who answered wasn't sure what caused the fire but just had the info on the Tesla statement that the fire it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle...

Can someone else call the number and see what kind of response you get?

I called and received the same answer as you.

A couple people on Stocktwits say they called Tesla and that the fire was caused by a breaker in the garage.

divatrader: "$TSLA On the phone with $TSLA & this fire was caused by a breaker in the garage NOT the car. (888) 518-3752"​

golfandstocksalot: "$TSLA divatrader- Confirmed I also just called and was not car but breaker in garage. Thanks!"

So, I called Tesla at 888-518-3752, and the person who answered wasn't sure what caused the fire but just had the info on the Tesla statement that the fire it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle.

I'm questioning the people who called and got confirmation the cause was the breaker, because why would Tesla issues a statement that says they don't know the precise cause but then say on the phone it was the breaker.

Can someone else call the number and see what kind of response you get?

Can someone call the Toronto Fire Dpt and get clarification on whether they have determined the cause of the fire, or of the car itself even had any fire damage? It would be great to get a definitive statement directly from them that would put the car in the clear. Anybody out there from Toronto?

Haven't had a thorough post in a while due to being busy at work and school, but here it is.

What we know about this fire
1. Majority of the car is in tact (verified via low quality photos)-- we do not see the front
2. Tesla investigated and ruled out the key parts of the car (where electricity is being exchanged) and where it is being delivered (outlet) and ruled it out. I trust Tesla engineers.
3. Consistent stories are +, so that means that Tesla has a good handle on this
4. Although the timing is suspect and it comes on a day when the stock solidly broke $200... I want to leave out conspiracy theories
5. The fact that the key components of the car were ruled out should be comforting. We should also be able to rule out the drive train and power delivery components (as only the front was affected).

Some things that I deduced based on observations
1. The fire seems to be confined to the front of the garage.
2. The fact that the fire was intense and put out quickly indicates a few things 1. it was not the lithium fire because these don't go out quickly or 2. the fire department was VERY well prepared for EV incidents.
3. The smoke detector went off which indicates some OTHER object was burning. and it certainly seems like the case because the entire front of the garage looks like it was engulfed.
4. There are theories that the front cooling systems were the cause and that it dissipated heat which may have caused something to burn. Tesla ruled out the battery pack already and the "venting of fire" to the front occurs when there is a fire in the battery pack or some kind of thermal runway event.
Can a Model S owner verify how much heat comes out when your car is off after a drive?
This video CANNOT be referenced enough (for this story start at the 1:55 min mark):
Tesla Vehicle Engineering - Part 1 - YouTube
5. I like how the repay for damages part was left SO vague.

What to Expect?
Many are speculating that news will come out with NHTSA and some kind of post about this fire will come to light. NHTSA is out of Tesla's hands, there is no debate about this. A blog post MAY come out addressing this fire issue, but I'm doubtful because there's 3 trading days before earnings and Tesla has to be VERY careful on what it says and the outcome of the stock price. What I'd actually love is something similar to the last fire where the actual Tesla owner came forward and wrote a blog post. That would be pretty awesome--and who knows maybe it could be in the works.

Many are speculating that this story is FUD/Shorts trying to win money back/Revenge of the Sith/etc. Perhaps the article was FUD, but it wasn't exactly the best piece of journalism and leaves WAY too much open for interpretation. It's funny to me how people don't get Tesla yet. Like... really...? it amazes me. Right now, go into earnings level headed. Many of us made mistakes of Q3 because our heads were in the clouds and our expectations got WAY too lofty. Let's keep our expectations in check. For those of us "old timers" who have been here a while, we've seen this happen too many times. The news wire picks up good news and 10 more articles follow. Once one article with an inkling of bad news pop up, 10 articles follow. It's really silly and it shouldn't affect your investment decisions. If it does, you really shouldn't be investing. I know there's also some degree of those who are novices following investment advice of others on this forum. DECIDE FOR YOURSELVES and develop your own conviction. Earnings results won't do much but what will count is FY14 guidance (we know it'll be good but not to what extent), China progress, potential battery factory, and Model X development.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I think Tesla will release news in a similar fashion to last year and we'll have a nice little bump. Most of our profiteering will come from people who just don't get it and never will-- until it's too late (think of the "Johns" at BofA, Mr. Petersen, Broder, etc.) Think about Toyota in the 90's. Their stock was listed there and didn't have much action in a long time, but GM and Ford were getting all the price action... People are letting the future pass them by again and betting against it. There's going to be that moment where people wake up and we'll party like it was Q1 2013 again.

Anyway long post over. If there is a dip tomorrow. I'm going to watch the levels and go on margin because it would be a really irrational dip. Short interest is still ridiculously high and will only get higher as the valuation gets lofty.

..... and here we go:
Another fire raises questions as Tesla hits new high

Last edited:
[ Just a quick comment. I don't think we know much about the car or its degree of intactness from those photographs. The front end of the car could be a blob of molten black char for all we know. ]

[ Also the fact that the smoke detector went off could mean anything. Doesn't indicate it was the car, doesn't indicate it was not the car. Just indicates it went off, probably because it detected smoke. ]

Tesla Investigating Cause of Toronto Garage Fire With Model S - Bloomberg

Tesla said in a statement. “In this particular case, we don’t yet know the precise cause, but have definitively determined that it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle, as these components were untouched by the fire.”

Tesla sent seven employees to review the Toronto fire, Business Insider said. “The company also offered to take care of the damages and inconvenience caused by the fire, but the owner declined,” the report said.

It certainly sounds to me that Tesla does not know exactly what it was, but feels responsible enough to offer recompense. The fire must have started in the car somehow. Not good news.

Anyway long post over. If there is a dip tomorrow. I'm going to watch the levels and go on margin because it would be a really irrational dip.

I've noticed a few people now saying they're considering dipping into margin to buy TSLA on a pullback here... at my broker at least (IB), TSLA requires 100% margin maintenance. Which brokers are people using that provide lower margin requirements for TSLA?

My plan in case of any significant pullback is to leverage though LEAPS.

Just a thought, but perhaps we haven't heard from the NHTSA because of this fire. I thought that we were supposed to hear from them around now, but perhaps this fire has been under investigation too.

Doubtful, it's out of NHTSA's jurisdiction

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed a few people now saying they're considering dipping into margin to buy TSLA on a pullback here... at my broker at least (IB), TSLA requires 100% margin maintenance. Which brokers are people using that provide lower margin requirements for TSLA?

My plan in case of any significant pullback is to leverage though LEAPS.

Maintenance at scottrade is 30% + 20% for TSLA. We'll see how it goes lol

TSLA.gif

Tesla Motors, Inc. Pre-Market Trading

$197.98

RedArrowDown.png

0.83%
Get TSLA Alerts

*Delayed - data as of 02/14/2014 07:07

Exchange: NASDAQ
Industry: Capital Goods
Community Rating: Bullish

Read more:http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/premarket#ixzz2t

Can someone call the Toronto Fire Dpt and get clarification on whether they have determined the cause of the fire, or of the car itself even had any fire damage? It would be great to get a definitive statement directly from them that would put the car in the clear. Anybody out there from Toronto?

I'm from Toronto - going to contact some friends and do some digging work schedule permitting.

I think the story hasn't been spread yet. The first fire the stock didn't tank right away. If I remember correctly it dropped over 2-3 days. I am creating some big-time hedges upon opening and expect a drop to happen later on today. Then I will buy in lots more once it looks like the story is 'out there' and people see it for what it truly is. Hopefully I will be able to somewhat time this temporary bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.