Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to post this question, may be offtopic, but when Tesla spends money on superchargers and to open new service centers, those sums are accounted as SG&A expenses, correct? Thinking about Q3 guidance, operating expenses grew significantly in Q2, +15% SG&A and +30% for R&D, both Q2 guidance. But Tesla recently opened up a lot of superchargers in Europe and quite a few in US, plus it expending service center network quite aggressively. So it seems reasonable for Tesla to guide even higher SG&A for Q3?

TSLA wants very much to be at 235 right now, and I think it would easily be there or beyond without the overall market jitters this morning, which are overreaction to theoretical Fed movements in response to the big GDP beat. If the markets turn green or flat, I think we are headed up towards 240 on the pre-ER excitement and this morning's exciting press release.

Looks like the market jitters are hitting tsla also. Just went down $4.00.
Perhaps a good buying opportunity for those that expect it to jump after the ER.

I was shocked that 260 is only about 15% from where we are. Still, I think there is virtually no chance of a +15% move.

The street is expecting low Q3 numbers from the factory revamp. I feel like this is setting up for an easy guidance beat when they announce their production pace when they reopen next week (near 1000/week), despite there being little significant incremental news expected for close TMC followers.

What I find by far the most interesting in the announcement and rather positive is this gem "Not only does the Gigafactory enable capacity needed for the Model 3 but it sets the path for a dramatic reduction in the cost of energy storage across a broad range of applications."

"A broad range" might very well include storage for phones/tablets/laptops. The phrasing also makes it more likely (at least imo) for them to get into batteries and drive trains for planes, which must be a huge industry. Now this will obviously take some time but it is something Elon has mentioned quite often when you think about it.

What I find by far the most interesting in the announcement and rather positive is this gem "Not only does the Gigafactory enable capacity needed for the Model 3 but it sets the path for a dramatic reduction in the cost of energy storage across a broad range of applications."

"A broad range" might very well include storage for phones/tablets/laptops. The phrasing also makes it more likely (at least imo) for them to get into batteries and drive trains for planes, which must be a huge industry. Now this will obviously take some time but it is something Elon has mentioned quite often when you think about it.

Yes. The Energy Storage line-of-business is something that JB discussed in a presentation a while back. JB says that energy storage could be a very large segment of tesla business in the coming years. Bottom line is that tesla aims to be disruptive in the Utilities segment as well. Tesla's 1 MWH battery storage solution for commercial businesses can save those customers tons of money on their monthly electric bills by using less grid power during the middle of the afternoon when electricity is most expensive. Tesla is already doing this at Fremont factory. They have three 1 MWH systems installed and are adding more storage units soon.

the stock market of course doesn't fully appreciate the scale of Tesla's commitment to energy storage yet. I think this'll be huge because JB says it will.

Well, it could, and they could potentially build Gigafactories for different kinds of batteries. I mean, there's nothing inherently big-battery-only about the Gigafactory concept. However, the consumer space is pretty well covered. I'm sure what they really mean is larger batteries, and particularly for grid backup and demand control. I publicly acknowledge my nerd-crush on JB Straubel but his matter-of-fact storage keynote really got me excited about the potential. Based on Tesla's C/2 with 10 year life, at $200/kWh and $100/kW you could be hitting 0.6c/W (($6k/10)/1000) or lower marginal cost to enable a 100% renewable grid.

The thing is that they said "a broad range of applications.", to me that sounds like going further than cars and grid storage (I am optimistic about the grid storage too). I realize that the consumer space is well covered, but so was the auto industry before Tesla got here.

Yeah I've never understood why that isn't referenced more. Every time I hear them asked, they say Tesla is an Energy Innovation company.

All Tesla needs to do is setup a new website - teslaenergy.com (like tesla motors) and then post some photos of battery packs and get them now from solarcity with links to the residential storage and demandlogic for businesses. Coming soon at more places. That would catapult the stock forward.

All Tesla needs to do is setup a new website - teslaenergy.com (like tesla motors) and then post some photos of battery packs and get them now from solarcity with links to the residential storage and demandlogic for businesses. Coming soon at more places. That would catapult the stock forward.

Like what bluetan85 said.. teslaenergy.com already exists and is programmed to redirect back to teslamotors.com

Domain Name: TESLAENERGY.COM
Registrar URL: Wild West Domains
Registrant Name: Paul Smicker
Registrant Organization: Tesla Motors Inc.
Name Server: GLOW.MIRAHOST.COM
Name Server: AURA.MIRAHOST.COMName Server: NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned

I think the worry I have is the expenses. Even though they mentioned that things won't be looking good for the rest of this year as they will up the investments in all regions. The real numbers could just be very aggressive for the street. Asia now has 9 SCs, US at 103 and EU at 44. What do you guys say?

Status
Not open for further replies.