Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Articles like this just serve to remind how far ahead tesla is over incumbent carmakers

http://reut.rs/1mngD7g

Seriously, if I was in legacy auto PR I would not want/ help stories that let the consumer know that it is taking YEARS (2 so far and counting) to roll out over the air upgrades.

The three comments on that article make my head hurt... How people don't even realize how this works and why it is helpful.

I find it sad:-( that level of ignorance

Long ago most people believed the earth was flat, the sun revolved around the earth and that Edison was more responsible than Tesla for understanding and using electricity.....Dang, my bad....most people still believe the last part!:wink: Disruptive ideas and technology take time to become accepted. I don't know when the tipping point will be but I hope to be alive to see that day regarding renewable energy and battery storage.

They've done that most quarters from what I could tell when talking to the store folks off and on for the last couple years. I don't think this says anything special about this quarter.

If there's nothing special, that's good. Tesla hasn't missed delivery guidance before so if this is more of the same, then it means they aren't going to miss delivery guidance. For what it's worth, the push seems larger to me than it has been in the past.

Sorry - a lame joke, based on comment #3 in the aforementioned article:

"Over the internet “updates” a good thing??? Your driving down the road, when the system “reboots” and you are stranded in the dessert, until roadside assistance shows up?? With Microsoft, your OS is updates, and ALL the settings are ” erased” so you have to re-enter ALL your basic settings to use your tablet, laptop, or desktop! Don’t try to deny it, I worked in an Office environment where the IT updated my workstation in the middle of a job, and list a couple hours of my work (fortunately I backed the file up on my own)."

Last edited:
Analyst Upgrades: Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA), Nokia Corporation (ADR), and Monster Beverage Corp | Trading Floor Blog | Schaeffer's Investment Research

Best I could find on this, JP Morgan has chimed in raising their PT to 190 (from 170). I haven't found anything that states what the reasoning behind the upgrade is.

- - - Updated - - -

Will this battery change everything? - Fortune

Oh and this came out over the weekend, while I don't take issue with them progressing Solid State Lithium batteries (there is a lot of potential here) the claims in this article about Tesla selling their batteries at 500$/kWh is just silly... and they are trying to claim that the factory would only drop the price down to 250$/kWh... Silly...

Also, I don't see why Tesla wouldn't switch chemistries to Solid State or Silicon or whatever ends up becoming a proven technology as soon as someone actually PROVES it can do what they claim and at the price they claim. Otherwise, this is just more fluff. Good luck to these guys though, because if they can also hit 100$/kW then this will really help the EV adoption.

This is details from the JP Morgan note that showed up in theBarron's blog:

We are more cautious on Tesla, however, with our Neutral rating balancing incremental news flow likely to track positive with valuation that appears stretched and execution and competitive risk that seems underappreciated…

Establish December 2015 price target at $190 and raise estimates slightly on a kinder view toward deliveries (our most optimistic yet, but for which we remain still below that implied by guidance). We establish a December 2015 price target of $190 (vs. our December 2014 price target of $170), with the price target primarily benefiting from the lesser discounting of both our terminal cash flows analysis which starts at our DCF end date of 2020 and our 2020-based multiples analysis (we already had 2016 estimates for Tesla; our estimates rise slightly on a stronger trend to deliveries). We forecast 18,250 deliveries in 4Q15 (comprised of 11,750 Model S’s and 6,500 Model X’s), annualizing to a run-rate of approximately 73,000, which is below Tesla’s indicated potential 100,000 run-rate at 4Q15-end. Furthermore, our total volume projection in 2020 is 303,500 (comprised of 60,000 Model S’s, 43,500 Model X’s, and 200,000 Model 3’s), below the 500,000 guidance implied by Tesla’s Gigafactory capacity plans. For our price target to rise to the stock’s current level would require inputting of 650,000 Model X’s into our model in 2020, presuming our other estimates regarding Model S and Model X volume and corresponding gross margin rates, for a total volume in 2020 of 753,500 units.

Just in case anyone is panicking on the price right now, this is a broad market sell off. The Nasdaq is currently down 54 points (-1.18%) and still in an almost free fall, I don't know how much support TSLA is going to have on its own with the market just dropping. The best I could find on the reasoning for this is because the Housing market dropping in the number of houses sold (although rental prices are actually up).

Guys don't panic. This is simply a technical move. The weekly, and daily charts both confirm that we are beginning a long downtrend now that $249 has been taken out.
We are going to be in a drawdown period of about 4-6 weeks, I would speculate well that the downturn either ends as the Q3 call approaches or after the call.
If your looking for a long-term investment, I would recommend putting maybe 30% or so of your position on here, between $235-$245, and then wait for the rest until we are around the $215-$220ish area.

tsla daily.jpg
tsla weekly.jpg

Guys don't panic. This is simply a technical move. The weekly, and daily charts both confirm that we are beginning a long downtrend now that $249 has been taken out.
We are going to be in a drawdown period of about 4-6 weeks, I would speculate well that the downturn either ends as the Q3 call approaches or after the call.
If your looking for a long-term investment, I would recommend putting maybe 30% or so of your position on here, between $235-$245, and then wait for the rest until we are around the $215-$220ish area.
I really don't know or follow the technicals, but I mentioned in the social thread that both previous falls off the ATH dropped very close to 50% of their previous gains. e.g. 120->250, dropped back to 180. The first drop off the 185 ATH had a similar 50% fall. If we fall 50% this time 180->280 then we'd be looking at bottoming somewhere in the $230 range.

Obviously, I wouldn't put much faith in pattern that has only 2 data points, but, well, I'm a human and I like to see patterns :)

I really don't know or follow the technicals, but I mentioned in the social thread that both previous falls off the ATH dropped very close to 50% of their previous gains. e.g. 120->250, dropped back to 180. The first drop off the 185 ATH had a similar 50% fall. If we fall 50% this time 180->280 then we'd be looking at bottoming somewhere in the $230 range.

Obviously, I wouldn't put much faith in pattern that has only 2 data points, but, well, I'm a human and I like to see patterns :)

That matches well with the visual of the long term chart with its two uptrends lasting 3 months followed by two 2-3 month declines to, as you say, about halfway back down to the previous take-off point. A great chart was posted about 2 weeks ago in this or the Social Chat thread. Coincidentally both the downtrends touched on the 40 week SMA. So I'm looking for that pre Q3 to go heavily in with options, bought some Mar15 calls last Friday looking for a quick buck but looks like I jumped the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.