Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a total noob in options, however these are not standard options and as I understand that page you buy the right to collect 10% of the increase of the value of the stock from the base price of $180,--

Thus, if the share at the end date is $ 280, you get 10% of (280 -/- 180) = 10,-- paid out. I assume that will be in US$ as well.
In case the share would then be 350 you get 17,-- for your invested € 7,57.
Should TSLA be $ 180 or less you get nothing.

if that is correct, that is actually quite interesting, as you will have just more doubled your euro 7,60 investement to $17 going from current tsla $255 to $350 in March 2016.

i would be interested in hearing the opinion of others.

Not quite following your question here but I use a similar strategy from time to time. I bought a J17 160 leap when the stock dipped down under 200, I bought on 1/15. I've made 78% return on that leap in less than 6 months. I bought another a little later on that that I've made about 30% on. I also have some J16 leaps and shares. Guess this should be over in the trading strategies thread though.

Not quite following your question here but I use a similar strategy from time to time. I bought a J17 160 leap when the stock dipped down under 200, I bought on 1/15. I've made 78% return on that leap in less than 6 months. I bought another a little later on that that I've made about 30% on. I also have some J16 leaps and shares. Guess this should be over in the trading strategies thread though.

This was a response to a question by ev-enthousiast. I do however agree this belongs in another thread :).

thanks, yes i'm aware it was in response to ev-enthusiasts post but I wasn't understanding this follow up question. I thought giving a trading scenario with P/L might help.

I have pretty much no strategy for this meeting. I'm not sure what news would move the stock in the short term, aside from a wider audience catching up to speed and putting it all together perhaps?

I am a total noob in options, however these are not standard options and as I understand that page you buy the right to collect 10% of the increase of the value of the stock from the base price of $180,--

Thus, if the share at the end date is $ 280, you get 10% of (280 -/- 180) = 10,-- paid out. I assume that will be in US$ as well.
In case the share would then be 350 you get 17,-- for your invested € 7,57.
Should TSLA be $ 180 or less you get nothing.

if that is correct, that is actually quite interesting, as you will have just more doubled your euro 7,60 investement to $17 going from current tsla $255 to $350 in March 2016.

i would be interested in hearing the opinion of others.

Yes, that's the german flavor of options;)
With these options, at the date of expiry you get either paid the option's premium (if the option is ITM) or the option expires worthless (if the option's strike price is higher than the SP). It is possible to buy call and put options and close your positions at any time till expiry.
E.g. TSLA stock price is at about $250 and you want to buy a call option. In case the option is in the money, the price of a TSLA call option here in Germany is roughly (stock price - strike price)/10. In case of (stock price - strike price) < 0 the option expires worthless. With a strike price of $180 you would get about 7 EUR premium for the above mentioned szenario. Of course the premium is a function of intrinsic value and volatility and the options price can vary while the option is traded.
As far as I know these options work a little bit different than the options used in the US.
E.g. you never have to exercise (buy shares) your options in Germany!

Yes, that is one strategy that I am using.
Buying DITM medium term call options during an exaggerated that allow for a recovery during a several months period.
Difficult thing is not to catch a falling knife and to catch the bottom as good as possible;)

@mods: Please fell free to move these posts to "Trading Strategies"

Last edited:
There's a popular Reddit thread citing a Nola article where Musk says the Model 3 will have 250 miles of range. I don't believe the transcript or video have been released yet. If Nola isn't ********ting, this is great news.

Model 3 From Edison Electric Institute conference 2015 article (Nola.com) : teslamotors
5 reasons electric cars will be norm by 2020 | NOLA.com

In other news, at the G7 meeting yesterday:
What President Barack Obama and other G-7 leaders envisioned in Germany on Monday is a world where those emissions would be phased out by the end of the century.
"We have to be honest: coal is a very, very cheap energy carrier. Therefore we need a carbon price," said Ottmar Edenhofer, a prominent member of the UN's expert panel on climate science. Putting a price on carbon is highly contentious politically in many countries. The US Senate turned down such a proposal in 2010. Australia's current government repealed a carbon tax introduced by the previous government.
G7 leaders talk about fossil-fuel free future

What are the chances there will be a carbon tax in the future?

Last edited:
The poor guy didn't even know the difference between Model X and Model 3 and got called out on it.

In other news, latest short interest figures were released today. Short interest is up just a hair since the last reporting period: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com
If you look down that list, days to cover is at its highest....so there were more shorts pushing down the stock when it was at low volume and they still couldn't move it down....good luck Teslongs...

What are the chances there will be a carbon tax in the future?

My understanding is that gas companies want a carbon tax ASAP so that utilities switch quickly from coal to the next cheapest fossil fuel, instead of planning the immediate adoption of renewables (which requires more time than buy a few gas plants). We'll then realize that we could have quickly switched fully to solar and wind, but we'll already be committed to gas because politics were "convinced" by the gas industry that their plans is the sustainable one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.