Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at all Solar stocks. None of them are moving today. Tesla is moving today, but is still stuck in the down channel. Broad market is too focused on oil and gasoline prices.

Not as many traders / funds are really talking about them right now, and many of them are very easy to manipulate given low price/volume. I miss sleepyhead's crusading posts. Solars will come back, but there are a lot of forces aligned against them.

On the flipside, there is barely a US equities trader alive who does not pay attention to TSLA.

Today's movement toward the close is what I call "Panic Buying."

Not as many traders / funds are really talking about them right now, and many of them are very easy to manipulate given low price/volume. I miss sleepyhead's crusading posts. Solars will come back, but there are a lot of forces aligned against them.

On the flipside, there is barely a US equities trader alive who does not pay attention to TSLA.

Today is gap close play.

Tomorrow we see the true direction.

I took a little break from the board and since being back I haven't seen sleepyhead, where did he go? I'm holding some csiq, looks like a long term play for me at this point!

I took a little break from the board and since being back I haven't seen sleepyhead, where did he go? I'm holding some csiq, looks like a long term play for me at this point!

Sleepy and his wife had a new baby, and I believe he also had a significant position in GTAT before they went bankrupt, which I think severely limited his free time and free cash for investing, respectively. I believe he is working on putting together a new investment discussion web site now though. I know many of us miss his postings here.

Sleepy and his wife had a new baby, and I believe he also had a significant position in GTAT before they went bankrupt, which I think severely limited his free time and free cash for investing, respectively. I believe he is working on putting together a new investment discussion web site now though. I know many of us miss his postings here.

Hope he makes it back. I had seen the GTAT mentioned before but did not know what it was. I just pulled up a 1 year chart, ouch.

On another note, good to see the tone changing back towards the positive around here. Seems like people that have been in TSLA for a while would have gotten use to the ups and downs, I see the downs as opportunity, but i'm not playing short term either. My shortest term position is J16 leaps. I don't think Maoing (sp?) is cut out for investing in TSLA, that guy makes me want to put a gun in my mouth lately. :)

Hope he makes it back. I had seen the GTAT mentioned before but did not know what it was. I just pulled up a 1 year chart, ouch.

On another note, good to see the tone changing back towards the positive around here. Seems like people that have been in TSLA for a while would have gotten use to the ups and downs, I see the downs as opportunity, but i'm not playing short term either. My shortest term position is J16 leaps. I don't think Maoing (sp?) is cut out for investing in TSLA, that guy makes me want to put a gun in my mouth lately. :)

Maoing has been (and hopefully will continue to be) a valuable member of TMC especially as it comes to China. His turn to being short term bearish comes from TSLA breaking the technical at 50 and 200dmas. In addition, he has interpreted part of some short term problems for TSLA/TM as being failure to see good TM product penetration into the Chinese market. I don't share all his views but I believe they are sincere and I do respect them.

Sub.....I know I quoted your post as it is the most recent one touching on Maoing. No offense intended, just wanted to point out to many who have had similar recent remarks that Maoing may be bearish but I do not think he is an intentional FUDster.

- - - Updated - - -

Sleepy is active on his new investment site: MODS, please feel free to take this down if it violates TMC rules: http://iicresearch.com/

One article's view on why TSLA is ready to rebound: http://www.bidnessetc.com/33055-here-is-why-tesla-motors-inc-tsla-stock-is-ready-to-rebound

Seems people are finally coming to their senses about taking EM's comments too dramatically (or out of context), that weak China sales are acceptable for early stages, the new D models in other continents may help balance out sales, analysts reconfirming their ratings and PTs, promising outlook on Model X and gigafactory implications, long-term fundamentals still good, etc. Basically, nothing we didn't already know but everyone else took forever to settle down to. Ugh.

I have a feeling we'll close tomorrow about flat from today, at $201.80. Just my guess.

One article's view on why TSLA is ready to rebound: http://www.bidnessetc.com/33055-here-is-why-tesla-motors-inc-tsla-stock-is-ready-to-rebound

Seems people are finally coming to their senses about taking EM's comments too dramatically (or out of context), that weak China sales are acceptable for early stages, the new D models in other continents may help balance out sales, analysts reconfirming their ratings and PTs, promising outlook on Model X and gigafactory implications, long-term fundamentals still good, etc. Basically, nothing we didn't already know but everyone else took forever to settle down to. Ugh.

I have a feeling we'll close tomorrow about flat from today, at $201.80. Just my guess.

Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see closing price tomorrow. While it can change a bit 'max pain' for option expiry is $200 for Jan 23.

ChartImg.axd

Maoing has been (and hopefully will continue to be) a valuable member of TMC especially as it comes to China. His turn to being short term bearish comes from TSLA breaking the technical at 50 and 200dmas. In addition, he has interpreted part of some short term problems for TSLA/TM as being failure to see good TM product penetration into the Chinese market. I don't share all his views but I believe they are sincere and I do respect them.

Sub.....I know I quoted your post as it is the most recent one touching on Maoing. No offense intended, just wanted to point out to many who have had similar recent remarks that Maoing may be bearish but I do not think he is an intentional FUDster.

- - - Updated - - -

Sleepy is active on his new investment site: MODS, please feel free to take this down if it violates TMC rules: http://iicresearch.com/

I'm not against looking at tsla from all perspectives, I don't think putting ones head in the sand is a good investing strategy. I think I vaguely remember when maoing started posting here and he did offer some good opinions and insight. I honestly haven't offered much over my time here because I'm not qualified to do so and I don't want to mislead others. However, lately I would compare Moaing to the shorts on SA that literally can not say one good thing about Tesla or tsla. When someone takes this stance I disregard them completely.

Again, I have no short term positions so I'm not stressing over the day to day movements. Maoing doesn't seem to have the stomach for tsla, assuming he is long the company. If something affected me that much I would find better things to do personally. I've been here through all the big ups and downs and I guess I've just gotten use to it. To me tsla is a no brainer in the long run, sit back and enjoy the show.

i appreciate everyone's input here, I guess I would just like to see the poor guy cheer up if he is indeed long/pro tsla, it will all be ok little buddy. :)

This is the problem with playing short term, you start off making some money, greed sets it, you wait for the stock to go lower, as the stock drops some more, you get a little greedier. Then the stock turns 180, heads the opposite direction, you lose a little confidence and thought "damn I should've sold, but it'll come back down to earth soon.
Maybe when it drops 5 more points I'll jump back on and go long." It doesn't.. Momentum takes the stock up another 4 points.. But it was just $188 two days ago, $203 is looking a bit too expensive. What if we plow through $210 next week, how cheap will $203 look in retrospect? The trick to going short is if it turns in your favor, get out, by definition, it's a short term play. At least with a long position you know tesla will rebound, with a short position there's no guarantee.

For those on the sidelines, I stand by my statement, that a Delivery miss and China has already been priced in, and you may never see $200 again, will investors place their bets soon? We'll find out next week.

The recent big downturn forced me to do short term play and it worked very well. I started to turn bearish the same day when SP hit through 200MA which was 232, I sold half of my shares, since then I jump back an forth just to take some short term profit because I know it's downward trends, I think the profit I gain is sufficient not worry about any 10 points jump or so. Fortunately I reloaded all my shares plus using some margin in premarket yesterday http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...nical-Analysis?p=881467&viewfull=1#post881467

But frankly speaking, I'm not convince TSLA are safe to weather through this big storm at this point. We'll see from both TA & FA.

This is the problem with playing short term, you start off making some money, greed sets it, you wait for the stock to go lower, as the stock drops some more, you get a little greedier. Then the stock turns 180, heads the opposite direction, you lose a little confidence and thought "damn I should've sold, but it'll come back down to earth soon.
Maybe when it drops 5 more points I'll jump back on and go long." It doesn't.. Momentum takes the stock up another 4 points.. But it was just $188 two days ago, $203 is looking a bit too expensive. What if we plow through $210 next week, how cheap will $203 look in retrospect? The trick to going short is if it turns in your favor, get out, by definition, it's a short term play. At least with a long position you know tesla will rebound, with a short position there's no guarantee.

For those on the sidelines, I stand by my statement, that a Delivery miss and China has already been priced in, and you may never see $200 again, will investors place their bets soon? We'll find out next week.

The recent big downturn forced me to do short term play and it worked very well. I started to turn bearish the same day when SP hit through 200MA which was 232, I sold half of my shares, since then I jump back an forth just to take some short term profit because I know it's downward trends, I think the profit I gain is sufficient not worry about any 10 points jump or so. Fortunately I reloaded all my shares plus using some margin in premarket yesterday http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...nical-Analysis?p=881467&viewfull=1#post881467

But frankly speaking, I'm not convince TSLA are safe to weather through this big storm at this point. We'll see from both TA & FA.

Congrats on your profits, I would have to disagree that a storm is brewing, if there was a storm, I think its been weathered. When playing short term, it's critical you know when to hold and when to fold.. If you've gotten back your shares yesterday, then you got a great deal at a very opportune time. My gut feeling is that there will be plenty of people reading this board who will end up chasing TSLA upwards very soon. This is a momentum stock, and macroeconomic conditions are showing signs of change in the near term, heading for the positive. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but glad momentum is back and I'm loving how momo stocks like NfLX are crushing the market right now. I hope AMZN does the same. As of this moment, the Nekkei and Shanghai looks great, after a 7% drop China gained back about 6% so far. US jobless claims back to normal after last week, I think we're in the clear for next week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.