Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard Jim Chanos today on CNBC, a reknown stock short talk about Tesla. His reasoning indicates he is clueless about Tesla , and maybe even so about many other stock positions he holds. I used to give him some credence,
but he is really a know nothing as far as i am concerned.

it might be ok to short Tesla on the basis of execution risk and valuation, but to
compare it to BMW's future electrics and claim its overvalued is pure nonsense.
Funny but his logic was that a German magazine indicated that an unknown BMW exec said all their models will be electric by 2025 he took this as a tesla negative rather than a positive that tesla could drive the industry. Why would he think there could only be one car company anyway

Funny but his logic was that a German magazine indicated that an unknown BMW exec said all their models will be electric by 2025 he took this as a tesla negative rather than a positive that tesla could drive the industry. Why would he think there could only be one car company anyway

My guess for the negative interpretation is a feeling that Tesla will simply get run over by that bigger OEM that finally decides to go all electric. The thought being, who would buy a BEV from Tesla (small, young company that often misses deadlines, yadda, yadda, yadda) when they could buy a BEV from BMW (big, power, old, dealership network and established worldwide, yadda, yadda, yadda). *We* might not agree with that sentiment for a lot of reasons, but the question is about 'others' and what they think, not about us and what we think.

How many electric vehicles has BMW sold to date? According to BMW, around 26,000, and the sales for its i3 have peaked. This is even worse, when you look at the number of dealers BMW has. How many of these vehicles are sitting on dealers lots? .

BMW Sold Over 3,500 i3s In Germany, But Sales Are Falling

Worldwide sales of BMW i3 and i8 exceed 30,000 units in 2015

"After the initial rush, sales have decreased – nearly 30% year-over-year in the first six months of 2015."

Last edited:
Consumer Reports' rave Tesla review came under attack -- here's why - Fortune

Interestingly, the controversy over Consumer Report’s rating of the battery-powered luxury car wasn’t about whether Tesla builds a car as good as the magazine says. The Journal column argued that the magazine “prostituted” itself to “shill” for a $120,000 vehicle favored by government policy makers. Columnists from left and right debated the politics underlying the Tesla Model S — namely that the government subsidizes and promotes battery-powered cars, as Tesla and others advocate.

Review: Tesla Model S P90D, almost perfect

The Tesla Model S P85D is famous for scoring the highest on any Consumer Reports rating ever. So it stands to reason that the even newer Tesla Model S, complete with the incredible $10,000 Ludicrous mode upgrade, would be even better. Bloomberg

Last edited:
Kauai Utility Signs Deal With SolarCity for First Dispatchable Solar Storage System - NASDAQ.com

SolarCity has a deal with Kaua'i utility for dispatchable solar PPA with 52 MWh of batteries. Most of the solar power will be stored and dispatched in the evening. This will offset use of oil fired plants for evening peak power needs.

So this could be one of many Powerpack projects that will actually displace peak power generation and use of oil in generating electricity.

The rate in this deal is only slightly higher than other solar PPAS this utility has, but those deals do not include storage. So what we see in this deal is competitive solar made fully dispatchable with Powerpacks. I suspect this this combination could prove quite competitive with new gas peaking plants.

release of the X will not move the share price up significantly. Investors care about financial performance of the company and future outlook to price the shares. The Model X release is a known, planned event and thus baked into the current share price. If it does not happen in the near future for some reason or happens with significant problems, however, then that would be unexpected and could have an effect on the share price.

I'm not sure if that's correct (or even completely consistent). Don't you think that it's more accurate to say something like: what's baked into the Tesla SP is the market-public's level of expectations for the MX, and unless the actual car either fails to meet those expectations or exceeds them by a substantial margin the MX introduction will not have a much of an impact on the SP?

It appears to me that, at least at TMC, that there is an excessive amount of skepticism baked into people's minds about the quality of the MX. If the general public and the market feel the same way do you think that's having a dampening effect on the SP.

There are three other things, where I think the baked in price is too low. Tesla's ability to ramp production, the M3 launch date, and Tesla Energy. Most people and most analysts don't understand the potential of their Powerpacks v

Status
Not open for further replies.