Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short interest for TSLA for period ending 8/14/15 out today at market close......due to the wild swings recently it may not be all that helpful....

Current max pain for options expiring 8/28/15: $240.............This could change a lot over the next couple days.......but another data point.

Max pain even dropped to 235 now, while share price increased to above 240 - maybe an opportunity to still buy tomorrow before it (hopefully) goes up even more.

http://maximum-pain.com/Chart/maxpain?ticker=tsla&Maturity=2015-08-28

Several videos from CR out on their "milestone" report (as they put it) on the P85D

One and a half minute video about breaking the rating system, setting new benchmarks:

Tesla P85D Broke Consumer Reports Rating System | Consumer Reports - YouTube

Eight minute video about road test results (the road test content and video are core content subscribers look at when comparing cars)

Gallery

Finally, if you want to soak it all in, Consumer Reports did an extra episode of their normally biweekly show "Talking Cars" to devote 25 minutes to a discussion of the P85D with 3 members of their automotive testing department. Have to imagine in 25 minutes they will have much to say about the historical context of the car. Okay... that's it for me for next 25 minutes : )

Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #76: Tesla Model S P85D: Final Test Results - YouTube

I cannot connect to CR, getting an error message:

Consumer Reports is experiencing temporary difficulties with its servers. We are working to resolve the issue. Please stand by. We appreciate your patience.

Either they cannot handle the sudden load after the P85D results (I hope) or it is a denial-of-service-attack by the bear force ;).

I like that CR saw plenty of room for improvement. Their scale is broken. Perhaps 100 was the max possible for conventional cars, but Tesla is taking it to a whole new level and will take it further still. They should not cap at 100. Next year when the Model S is at 105, they really should have an instrument that measures that improvement. Likewise when Model X comes in at 107 we will want to know that. Capping their scale is just dumb. It loses the ability to discriminate truly fine cars. If Tesla is truly pointing to the future, CR needs an instrument to measure progress in that future.

I suspect that the "cap" is because these ratings are obviously based on how well cars do for their class. Every car has some sort of focus - this is an efficient car, this is a car with a lot of cargo space, this is a performance car, this is a safe car, etc. Sometimes a car will check two boxes, or do pretty good at three of them, or whatever. But when a car checks *all* the boxes, then it breaks the system. The system is not made for cars which get 2x the efficiency of a Prius and are also quicker than a 458 Italia. The system doesn't need to consider that possibility because it would be ridiculous to even think that a car like that were possible. That's why the system breaks, because we're dealing with a car that doesn't make sense. It checks boxes which ought to be mutually exclusive.

I like that CR saw plenty of room for improvement. Their scale is broken. Perhaps 100 was the max possible for conventional cars, but Tesla is taking it to a whole new level and will take it further still. They should not cap at 100. Next year when the Model S is at 105, they really should have an instrument that measures that improvement. Likewise when Model X comes in at 107 we will want to know that. Capping their scale is just dumb. It loses the ability to discriminate truly fine cars. If Tesla is truly pointing to the future, CR needs an instrument to measure progress in that future.

The CR review was generally glowing. I was surprised that they devoted 20-30 minutes of video to the P85D, but they genuinely seemed unusually impressed.

Interior luxury and charging times seemed to be their only complaints. We know that charging times will improve as time goes on. The interior will get better as battery costs come down and Tesla can spend more on materials.

This is a harbinger of the near future. The CR report surely convinced more investors that Tesla is a serious player.

Model S is a top selling BEV in Western Europe in July, getting a whopping 50% of the pie in Germany. This means that it is outselling BMW i3, costing several times less, in spite the i3 home turf advantage! Watch out MB, BMWand W!

from Streetinsider.com:

Published earlier this week, EagleAID said Tesla's (Nasdaq: TSLA) Model S was the best-selling, all-electric car (or, battery electric vehicle (BEV)) in Western Europe during July.According to the report, about 1,106 Model S units were sold last month, followed by 1,011 Nissan LEAFs, 980 Renault ZOEs, and 928 Volkswagen e-Golfs.
About 38 percent of Tesla's sales came from Norway and Switzerland, with 222 and 199 units, respectively. With 132 sold in Germany, that amounts to 50 percent of the total.

The summary from the European Automotive Industry Data (AID) newsletter:

It must be a humiliating experience for the world’s long-established leading carmakers - striving hard to trumpet to the world at large their cutting-edge technological know-how, marketing skill and particularly service capability - when a complete newcomer to the cut-throat automotive scene zips past at speed at the first attempt

Last edited:
Bonnie posted something on Facebook, which was then deleted. Tesla Motors Web site down for maintenance... [BIG GRIN] - Page 3

So, something seeems to be happening...

interesting....so perhaps she was like "website down, configurator should go live, yay", then after logging in on the updated website: "ALRIGHT! NDA first! hmm, read, read, read, oh, configurator only for founders and sig car holders, click accept button to enter configurator", "alright, let's delete my 'configurator should go live any second now' post first, need to keep my mouth shut, now", "alright then, let's configure that thing, now, YAY!!!"

Looks like some of the gigafactory suppliers have been announced:
RNS From Rare Earth Minerals (REM) LSE this morningSonora Lithium Project Signs Lithium Supply Contract

Rare Earth Minerals and (LSE AIM: REM) and Bacanora Minerals Ltd. (TSX-V: BCN and LSE AIM: BCN), the joint venture partners of the Sonora Lithium Project1 in Northern Mexico (Bacanora and REM are collectively referred to as the "Sonora Lithium Project Partners"), have finalised a conditional long-term lithium hydroxide supply agreement with Tesla Motors, Inc. ("Tesla"), the maker of electric vehicles and energy storage solutions ("The Supply Agreement").

Might be of interest to investors?

I suspect that the "cap" is because these ratings are obviously based on how well cars do for their class. Every car has some sort of focus - this is an efficient car, this is a car with a lot of cargo space, this is a performance car, this is a safe car, etc. Sometimes a car will check two boxes, or do pretty good at three of them, or whatever. But when a car checks *all* the boxes, then it breaks the system. The system is not made for cars which get 2x the efficiency of a Prius and are also quicker than a 458 Italia. The system doesn't need to consider that possibility because it would be ridiculous to even think that a car like that were possible. That's why the system breaks, because we're dealing with a car that doesn't make sense. It checks boxes which ought to be mutually exclusive.

That's exactly right and exactly why Tesla deserves a score above 100. No compromise.

- - - Updated - - -

Model S is a top selling BEV in Western Europe in July, getting a whopping 50% of the pie in Germany. This means that it is outselling BMW i3, costing several times less, in spite the i3 home turf advantage! Watch out MB, BMWand W!

from Streetinsider.com:

The summary from the European Automotive Industry Data (AID) newsletter:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

It sure sounds like car buyers are starting to warm up to Tesla. It can take a while for awareness and confidence to build. But this really good preparation for Model X. The acceptance of Model X should come quicker than it did for Model S, albeit the relative value these consumers put on SUVs compared to sedans is also a factor. The point is the Tesla brand is earning into these markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.