Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice CR accolade as: "The Tesla Model S is Consumer Reports' top pick — for the second year in a row!"

AlMc, you beat me, but it was less than 3.2 seconds between our posts!

Hopefully this kind of news will eventually silence some bears!
There sure must be a huge demand problem for this car...
Because, certainly nobody wants to buy "the best car you can buy, period?"

I don't know, I hear the competition is heating up for next year, some mysterious X.

Nice CR accolade as: "The Tesla Model S is Consumer Reports' top pick — for the second year in a row!"

Here's the full Consumer Reports video commentary published an hour ago and leading off with its top pick, the Tesla Model S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I hear the competition is heating up for next year, some mysterious X.

Interestingly, CR gives the Model S a rating of 99 out of 100 (and they didn't even test a P85 or P85D). If the Model X is as good as we think it will be, will it break 100?
If volume can go to 11, why not have an SUV that ranks 110? :smile:

Edit: Too Funny! I hadn't seen the video before posting this, and they mention it 'going to 11'. Another interesting tidbit in the video posted above, the CR reviewers ask "Do you want us to get a P85D?". Let's tell them "YES!!"

Back on topic: Any chance (barring seriously bad news) that I can pick up TSLA under 200 any time soon?

Last edited:
I also anticipated a post ER rally followed by a bear attack, but it comes sooner than I expect. I sold out my June 220 calls this morning with no loss, last Friday it was 40% green. What a volatility!

I completely agree, and I expected and anticipated this bear attack pattern rather well by cashing out short-term plays ahead of it. It's a fairly weak one compared to some prior assaults as they don't have much credible ammunition, and I'm looking for another good quick-strike entry point for some snap-back profits soon. Timing will be key. Always is.

Back on topic: Any chance (barring seriously bad news) that I can pick up TSLA under 200 any time soon?

I'm not sure what is so dramatically different about 204-205 vs 200 or even 199? At least regarding a stock purchase. It really looks like we are building more and more support on the 200 level even today we deflected away from the 202s rather quickly as I was expecting on my options for us to get at least into the 201s but it sadly never happened (and really hurt some of my puts I was trying. Never try to jump on a train that has left the station during the middle of the day... it never seems to work out for me... but I digress). But if you are trying to acquire actual stock, I am not sure what the difference here in a couple dollars actually makes on the purchase when you are likely planning short-ish term (less than 1 year) to be back above 250 and depending on your holding period significantly higher than that. If you think TSLA is worth the purchase at 200, then this is pretty much close enough to buy in. You could also cost average. Buy today and then a week from today.

I'm not sure what is so dramatically different about 204-205 vs 200 or even 199? At least regarding a stock purchase.

Thanks. You're right about that from a stock purchase perspective. I had an order in today for some June 260 calls, and I think the order would have executed had TSLA dropped below 200.

I had expected the recent post-earnings bloodletting to last about a week, but I called that one wrong. I still have a (very) small position in the stock, which is of course free for me at this point, having bought most of my shares around $30. But I wouldn't mind picking up some calls and possibly executing a few to increase my long term position.

Please don't get me wrong...you don't owe me any predictions, but you are one of the guys I pay attention to when you say something.

Can you please shove my nose in what you wrote because I missed it and I don't want to miss it again?

Last thing I saw you write about prospects for this week was on Friday that you were confused and were sitting on the sidelines. Was that it?

Please don't get me wrong...you don't owe me any predictions, but you are one of the guys I pay attention to when you say something.

Can you please shove my nose in what you wrote because I missed it and I don't want to miss it again?

Last thing I saw you write about prospects for this week was on Friday that you were confused and were sitting on the sidelines. Was that it?

Pretty much. I don't like to give the appearance of providing direct investment advice, but if you did feel like watching me closely, you would have seen when I cashed out. On the sidelines = no short-term holdings at all. I should state that I only trade options with about 5% of my investment holdings in Tesla. The rest are long and strong, buy and hold common shares. Those stay where they are until volume production of the Model 3 is underway at the very, very least.

Same, closed a poorly-chosen strike position for a measly 100% gain. Jonas note did the trick. Looking towards crude oil movement now and waiting on sidelines a bit myself. I fully expect a few more positive zingers from Elon this quarter, but can't predict timing yet.

I agree, that is my long-term thesis as well. Short-term, I suspect that shorts are preparing articles now that read "Apple enters market -- is Tesla doomed?!?!?!?!" or some such.

Crap. I was looking for a lower entry point for some longer-term calls, but not today it seems. My core shares like the movement, but I'm scratching my head considering my next options play. On the sidelines for now.

Also, I really have to credit our old buddy Causalien with sharing his thoughts. I was pretty much using him for confirmation bias without his consent :). I like to pay attention to his musings.

Thanks for this, didn't catch the news till now. Can't wait for them to test X.

My 8 ball indicator has been continuously diverging from TSLA ever since $260. it'll either fall back down to meet TSLA or TSLA will rise up to meet it. In any case, I am doing a convergence pair trade on these two.

Signs-Point-to-Yes-300x189.jpg

I have a question for 8 Ball.

New car delivery's excluding the P85D's have been pushed back into May, is this a result of production\supply issues (West Coast Port strike) or continued strong demand? Any change in 1qtr guidance?
#198 Website wait times for delivery change - Page 20

That's outside the scope of 8 ball's capabilities.

I would say port strike issue as the supplies contracts are already negotiated in advance (suppliers need time to ramp up too) and production is constant followed by bouts of ramp up. So the rate at which supply/production is coming in should be stable. The other reason for delivery date delay is if there is a pick up in demand.

I would guess that demand should have peaked around the D announcement. So if the shift in delivery date happened before the port strike (I don't follow that thread so I don't know) then it most definitely is caused by increase in demand.

These two together made me conclude it is the port strikes.

The weird thing is that inbound supply deliveries doesn't seem to be affected. I am guessing this strike would mean the Canadian port in BC will become more prosperous.

That said... it is still the production that counts and not deliveries since there's 1 quarter worth of ModelS to deliver. Until cash burn makes it absolutely necessary to seek cash (1 year assuming no more sales) If the port strike does not end by June. Then we have a problem as that is when we transition from relying on S to relying on X.

Disclaimer: Journalists, Analysts, commercial entities, corporations and employees of any of the aforementioned are not allowed to use, reuse, parody, sub or dub the ideas and words expressed in this post. In layman terms. Nobody is allowed reuse of ideas and words expressed in this post. UNLESS you link back to this post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.