Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are reasons why TSLA attracted the type of investor that they attracted. And the type of investors that decides to accumulated a large stock holdings instead of other i struments. And it is for times like this, to leverage the knowledge of its investors for a vote. Because sometimes, management are out of their zone of competence on certain issues.

I haven't interfered in the past, but This time I will leverage my shares to push for a no vote. In either outcome. This has caused a crisis of confidence in management from me. A yes vote would mean that the composition of the rest of the voting base has deviated from my beliefs far enough that I should no longer participate. And my belief is that of the original Tesla vision from the IPO. Strong enough to put 1/4 of my life into it.

More like de-risking, take contorl where Control is needed.

It's only de-risking if they are near the low cost producer of inverters. The advantage of buying is the ability to pick the highest value inverter.

I do think Tesla's position will be higher end, however. The benefit will include home power backup, which is becoming fairly standard in high end households. There is obviously no need for a one company solution to provide home solar. The current system of assembling multi-vendor hardware works fine and produces the lowest cost per watt.

the public is already overwhelmingly on Tesla's side rather than the dealerships. while the scenario you presented might help at the margins, the issue is the dealership lobby buying state legislature's dismissal of what the public wants.

Because the dealership lobby has kept this at the state level, no one is really aware just how big this fight is. Even in many of the states where Tesla is legally selling, lobbying efforts are working hard to turn that around. It's never ending.

Public support in polls is nice, but it doesn't change votes. What has worked, is when the public shows up, because polliticians cannot ignore the grassroots support. Having a physical store that says 'TESLA' in big glowing letters in the states that don't allow car sales is a big deal. It's not a 'at the margins' deal. It destroys the arguments such as Little League teams will go without sponsors and that jobs will be lost. A huge part of the playbook is to paint Tesla as 'that outside California company that knows nothing of our community values'. And I guarantee NADA is reworking strategy this week. Because they know it's not an 'at the margins' play.

I suppose they are planning to build their own home inverter. More risk for Tesla.

That is no risk, at least not technology wise. Tesla must be one of the companies with the most knowledge on inverter technology.
And such inverter is not very high tech anyway.

They only risk on that would be the risk to upset the current PowerWall partners.

• Helpful
Reactions: Robertj
Need some education RE: "institutional investor vote". Isn't Musk's vote, itself, close to majority? If not, what is it and what institutional alignment is expected to support this? No proxy, for smaller shareholders? That last part might offend some of us.

In balancing my own 'fanboy'ism' with shareholder face slaps, like reversing Q4 '15 "cash is king" and then diluting equity instead, I sold shares. This news is trend. A shrewd move, if management is serving the companies.

Elon would not risk an institutional investor vote (and even less upsetting institutional TSLA investors).
Elon and the board have a lot of shares, but probably not enough if they get these big investors voting against. (Not to mention how institutional investors selling could kill Tesla).

If this is true, it would be the first time to my knowing for EM to act not for "the cause" but for his and his kins financial interest and not for the benefit oft TSLA shareholders / Tesla the firm. ... i have difficulty to believe that.

To believe this is to not know Elon Musk. He doesn't even give family members discounts on cars. He's the most pragmatic person on the planet. He would NEVER risk Tesla in this way.

Let's be honest: how many of us here invested in TSLA from the IPO?
1 here

I agree with your general assessment- this was an inevitable event given EM stated goals. going to be a hard slug though for a while - SCTY was not headed in the right direction imo and I think EM wants to bring it back in line. That's going to bring some challenges moving forward.
good posts Johan - thx

Reactions: FANGO
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
There are reasons why TSLA attracted the type of investor that they attracted. And the type of investors that decides to accumulated a large stock holdings instead of other i struments. And it is for times like this, to leverage the knowledge of its investors for a vote. Because sometimes, management are out of their zone of competence on certain issues.

I haven't interfered in the past, but This time I will leverage my shares to push for a no vote. In either outcome. This has caused a crisis of confidence in management from me. A yes vote would mean that the composition of the rest of the voting base has deviated from my beliefs far enough that I should no longer participate. And my belief is that of the original Tesla vision from the IPO. Strong enough to put 1/4 of my life into it.

I feel precisely the same way.

I actually got out of SCTY with 6 figure losses and thought to myself that at least I learnt some valuable lessons. Now SCTY comes back into the picture destroying what TSLA is for me.

That is no risk, at least not technology wise. Tesla must be one of the companies with the most knowledge on inverter technology.
And such inverter is not very high tech anyway.

They only risk on that would be the risk to upset the current PowerWall partners.

From what I read, Israeli made inverter (SolarEdge) is very expensive while German made (SunnyBoy) inverter is half the cost.

It appears to me that the market is ripe for a third party entry that works well, is inexpensive and works with PowerWall better. Perhaps integrated solution would yield savings otherwise not possible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Ok, so if I understand what happened this morning on the call:

Nobody has done due diligence, Elon repeatedly said the SCTY acquisition is a "no brainier", and he wasn't able to answer tough questions.

WTF. Is he trying to throw this game?! This seems ill thought out. If the opportunity is so important, why wasn't the sales presentation better?

Need some education RE: "institutional investor vote". Isn't Musk's vote, itself, close to majority? If not, what is it and what institutional alignment is expected to support this? No proxy, for smaller shareholders? That last part might offend some of us.

In balancing my own 'fanboy'ism' with shareholder face slaps, like reversing Q4 '15 "cash is king" and then diluting equity instead, I sold shares. This news is trend. A shrewd move, if management is serving the companies.

Elon Musk will not be voting on this deal, read the press release please.

Status
Not open for further replies.