Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all that Koch money you think they could buy a few reliable sources to keep on tap for this kind of thing.

Yes - they were able to afford a former SEC chair they just rolled out who, to me, seemingly knows very little with regards to current events/facts and then proceeded to tear up TSLA and Elon for securities fraud with regards to the recent secondary offering.

They even boasted (as if with pride and as if that was their goal) live during the segment of having pushed the $TSLA stock price to "...negative now..." as if it was their doing (and it may have been with the hit piece they were propagating).

I'm not much of a believer in conspiracy theories but the manufactured negativity is relentless and hard to ignore.

Elon just said to the Wall Street Journal that there will be "no disabling of the Autopilot" following the fatal crash where a truck crossed into the path of a Tesla and killed its driver. (my words!)

An explanatory Tesla blog post is planned, to re-emphasize the driver responsibilities that have already been explained many times IMO.

The only way Elon is disabling Autopilot is if some over reaching, meddling, inept government agency tells him he has to. And even then I suspect he would take it to court before willingly complying.

Good for Elon.

Especially if the standards are established in the press or by some of the great statesmen of our day.

Tesla appears far behind google in developing software to understand the intent of humans not in motor vehicles. Even if Tesla can show that their vehicles are statistically as safe a human drivers, the type of serious accidents may still make Tesla's approach unacceptable.

I think 2030 is optimistic for level 4 being available for purchase. Although specialized autonomous vehicles are already in service (very low speed buses). The path is likely the slow addition of capability from this beginning. I do think that Tesla is probably shooting for on-interstate level 3 by the end of the decade. That would be a very nice feature.

Serious question: How can you and Adam Jonas possibly think it is an automated ride service? Tesla has zero fully automated cars. It might be 4-5 HW revisions before that is possible. 10 years would be screaming fast for enough "9"s of safety. You really think they are going to announce that? They are already on record wanting to do full autonomy. Do that, then worry about monetizing it. I would be crazy pissed if the "master plan 2" was "someday when we have fully autonomous cars we will compete with Uber". For one thing, it's obvious. For another, its another example of over-promise syndrome. Actually it would be *THE* inexcusably irresponsible over promise. Such an announcement would serve no one, and no purpose. At best it would be an attempt to generate interest in stock ownership, but it wouldn't even do that since the greatest risk right now is the high promise/deliver ratio.

Thx

I think you misunderstood me.

I'd be disappointed if "shared mobility" isn't ONE of the topics in the master plan...

Clearly, Energy is a big topic. Solar, batteries, peak shaving. Sustainability with Energy generation etc

Another jerk knee reaction in SP, apparently in response To Elon MUsk's interview in which he indicated that Tesla has no intention of disabling AutoPilot (here is WSJ link, post article heading in Google to get around the paywall):

Mr. Musk, in an interview, said the company is planning an explanatory blog post that highlights how Autopilot works as a safety system and what drivers are expected to do after they activate it. “A lot of people don’t understand what it is and how you turn it on,” Mr. Musk said.

Indeed, the WSJ (DJ newswire) keeps trumpeting about the interview and boasts about it moving down the share price. Every time this is repeated on my Thinkorswim newsfeed, another modest wave of selling is initiated, although not entirely out of sync with the overall market. I would have thought that if Elon had said the AutoPilot would be disabled, that would have shoved down the share price. The algobots and perhaps some traders appear to be acting irrationally. I'm reminded of this old Cramer interview about hedge fund manipulation.

Hope you got in at the lower end of 224.

Going back a month, I dumped all of my savings into TSLA when it hit 190~. Luckily, it paid off. It somewhat balanced out all those 228s I bought further back.
$224.78 to be exact, so not exactly the lower end. If you look at 5 minute charts, it looked like there would be an uptick, however it continued to a lower support. Currently green (a little) right now though, so that's good. Also, yeah, that's a good call. I've been burned too many times lately, I've scaled down my position sizes significantly until we get some more rational movements.

*edit*: I also try to close out most of my positions daily now... Unless I wholeheartedly believe in my long term analysis, then I'll hold.

Indeed, the WSJ (DJ newswire) keeps trumpeting about the interview and boasts about it moving down the share price. Every time this is repeated on my Thinkorswim newsfeed, another modest wave of selling is initiated, although not entirely out of sync with the overall market. I would have thought that if Elon had said the AutoPilot would be disabled, that would have shoved down the share price. The algobots and perhaps some traders appear to be acting irrationally. I'm reminded of this old Cramer interview about hedge fund manipulation.

This is a twist on the famous "have you stopped beating your wife yet?" question.

Have you stopped using that d*ngerous autopilot yet?

The FUDsters get points for creativity I guess.

I completely agree. Sometimes it seems like no matter what the news, even if good like it is with them keeping AP, it'll go down. Honestly, if they announced they were disabling AP, I bet it would have tanked like crazy.

The way Elon doubled down on autopilot reminds me him doubling down in the aftermath of fires, insisting publicly that there is no need for a recall, and there will not be a recall, even before NHTSA concluded their investigation, which, of course, confirmed that there is no recall required.

If anything, him doubling down on the current NHTSA preliminary review in this manner, particularly AFTER receiving NHTSA request for info letter, is very reassuring that the whole "defect" narrative balloon is going to pop without any drama, just quietly wheezing air out...

I skimmed through the NHTSA letter and also did not see any ominous signs. I think AutoPilot will pass the review with flying colors.

*edit*: I also try to close out most of my positions daily now... Unless I wholeheartedly believe in my long term analysis, then I'll hold.

I used to do that. It's pretty safe...until some guy like Ron Baron drops 300m into the stock and shoots it up 20 points, then you're left crying in a corner because you missed out and have no good reentry point.

At the moment, in my opinion anyways, it's pretty bullish other than the occasional fug article. Probably will stay that way for at least until the gigafactory unveiling/party thing.

I used to do that. It's pretty safe...until some guy like Ron Baron drops 300m into the stock and shoots it up 20 points, then you're left crying in a corner because you missed out and have no good reentry point.

At the moment, in my opinion anyways, it's pretty bullish other than the occasional fug article. Probably will stay that way for at least until the gigafactory unveiling/party thing.
Yeah, but it could also go the other way too, which is what reminds me to scale back. Just look at when it dropped from $220 to $180 in a couple hours (including after hours trades) when the suspension FUD broke. We're JUST NOW recovering. If you would have held all that time, you'd be locked out of other profitable trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.