Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's looking like there will be a fast track vote possibly by tonight on the Energy bill which should be huge for SolarCity and Tesla Energy.

Getting the energy bill moving
LET’S MAKE A DEAL: Energy bill negotiators say they’re going to cut the veto bait and get on with a conference committee, Pro’s Nick Juliano reports. Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Maria Cantwell reached an agreement Monday that should set up a vote in the Senate as soon as today. As part of the deal, “House Republicans have also agreed a final conference report will not contain measures the president would veto,” according to an Energy and Natural Resources Committee spokesperson. It's not clear what has changed in the three weeks since Reps. Fred Upton and Rob Bishop, the lower chambers’ lead GOP negotiators, said that their goal was to send the president a bill he would sign. Senate aides said Cantwell secured additional process commitments from Murkowski that were important to Democrats.

What specific provisions are good for TE and SC?
I don't believe anyone knows exactly what will end up in the bill...mystery sauce. Specifically beneficial I can't say for sure...but the Republicans appear intent on passing the bill due to LNG export concessions. Obama is standing firm it seems and demanding his Clean Energy legacy too.

S.2012 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): North American Energy Security and Infrastructure Act of 2016

The Natural Gas Act is amended with respect to liquefied natural gas exports.

I don't believe anyone knows exactly what will end up in the bill...mystery sauce. Specifically beneficial I can't say for sure...but the Republicans appear intent on passing the bill due to LNG export concessions. Obama is standing firm it seems and demanding his Clean Energy legacy too.
What clean energy legacy? "All of the above energy policy" aka nothing too dirty filthy or environmentally damaging?

Last edited:
Hmmm. Lots of sizzle for sure. The only thing Part2 CAN contain is more sizzle.

1). Tesla Motors car production goals for many years

2). Tesla Energy production goals/estimates from now to ten years out

Wild cards:

1). Discussion of NEW tesla motors car models

2). Tesla motors "uber killer" automated ride service (3rd business segment besides TM and TE). Per Adam Jonas suggestions... Big market cap potential.

3) way "out-year" stuff. Hyperloop. Electric plane. Etc

So... as expected... Adam Jonas Morgan Stanley out today with "Shared Mobility" expectation as part of Tesla Master Plan Part 2 (see my wildcard #2 above)

Honestly, I agree with Adam... Privately owned cars having a utilization of 4%. This is very capital inefficient.

Bottom line is I'd be surprised and disappointed if the master plan part 2 doesn't contain something regarding "shared mobility"

These are showrooms (demo) cars which always were offered for sale to ensure availability of low mileage cars for immediate delivery, as well as continuous refresh of the demo fleet. Although it is popular to say that these cars are sold at "discount", they are not - they are sold based on the depreciation. I also believe that this depreciation is part of the SG&A (Sales, General and Administrative) expenses, so the depreciation does not effect the gross margins.

Just checked and 7 of them (MS) have 50 miles which is what the number of miles new cars have listed on paperwork at time of delivery. 7 is not a real large amount but it means that these have never seen service as demo/loaner cars and most likely never will. Why would that be? Strictly customer cancellations? For whatever reason it is pretty apparent that they are pre-building a very few cars here and there. Not a big deal.

Reactions: callmesam
Just checked and 7 of them (MS) have 50 miles which is what the number of miles new cars have listed on paperwork at time of delivery. 7 is not a real large amount but it means that these have never seen service as demo/loaner cars and most likely never will. Why would that be? Strictly customer cancellations? For whatever reason it is pretty apparent that they are pre-building a very few cars here and there. Not a big deal.
These might be fresh arrivals to the demo fleet. I suggest checking for these VINs in a week or two to see if they accumulated additional miles. These also can be cars that were on display in the stores (this is most likely), and, therefore did not see any demo miles, but need to be sold now as stores are getting refreshed models.

These might be fresh arrivals to the demo fleet. I suggest checking for these VINs in a week or two to see if they accumulated additional miles. These also can be cars that were on display in the stores (this is most likely), and, therefore did not see any demo miles, but need to be sold now as stores are getting refreshed models.

I don't want to belabor an inconsequential item, but I do not believe these are in any way demo fleet cars that are in "active service." Based on the number of stores and the number of cars on the pre-built "new" page, Tesla does not list cars that are in the "active pool" or otherwise there would be listings for hundreds of them. Does this make sense? It is possible that they have several categories of cars though....those that are on the floor as display and likely will never see any miles so they can be sold as new, (50 miles on the ODO) those that are in active test drive service and those that are set aside for loaners for service. However, it seems that they have been pulling CPO's for service vehicles, not demo obviously as they would want the latest tech. Again, with the volume of cars Tesla builds, it is incredibly minor.

edit: I think that the data set is wrong as when I click on individual locations, cars appear that do not appear when you select on "any location"...strange. Looks like a glitch.

So... as expected... Adam Jonas Morgan Stanley out today with "Shared Mobility" expectation as part of Tesla Master Plan Part 2 (see my wildcard #2 above)

Honestly, I agree with Adam... Privately owned cars having a utilization of 4%. This is very capital inefficient.

Bottom line is I'd be surprised and disappointed if the master plan part 2 doesn't contain something regarding "shared mobility"

Serious question: How can you and Adam Jonas possibly think it is an automated ride service? Tesla has zero fully automated cars. It might be 4-5 HW revisions before that is possible. 10 years would be screaming fast for enough "9"s of safety. You really think they are going to announce that? They are already on record wanting to do full autonomy. Do that, then worry about monetizing it. I would be crazy pissed if the "master plan 2" was "someday when we have fully autonomous cars we will compete with Uber". For one thing, it's obvious. For another, its another example of over-promise syndrome. Actually it would be *THE* inexcusably irresponsible over promise. Such an announcement would serve no one, and no purpose. At best it would be an attempt to generate interest in stock ownership, but it wouldn't even do that since the greatest risk right now is the high promise/deliver ratio.

S.2012 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): North American Energy Security and Infrastructure Act of 2016

Well, the point of LNG exports is to remove surplus gas and drive up domestic prices on captive customers. Just look at how prices below $4/mmbtu in Australia are now jacked up over $20/mmbtu due to long-term LNG export contracts. This in turn has doubled the price of wholesale electricity which gets passed onto consumers. So if the gas industry can pull that off in the US too, that would be very good for TE and SC. Expensive natural gas drives up demand for rooftop solar and batteries.

Soaring gas prices take toll on generators as well as consumers

Last edited:
Serious question: How can you and Adam Jonas possibly think it is an automated ride service? Tesla has zero fully automated cars. It might be 4-5 HW revisions before that is possible. 10 years would be screaming fast for enough "9"s of safety. You really think they are going to announce that? They are already on record wanting to do full autonomy. Do that, then worry about monetizing it. I would be crazy pissed if the "master plan 2" was "someday when we have fully autonomous cars we will compete with Uber". For one thing, it's obvious. For another, its another example of over-promise syndrome. Actually it would be *THE* inexcusably irresponsible over promise. Such an announcement would serve no one, and no purpose. At best it would be an attempt to generate interest in stock ownership, but it wouldn't even do that since the greatest risk right now is the high promise/deliver ratio.

This is overly harsh. For one, when Tesla revealed their first "secret master plan" think about how much over promising that was when written in 2006. Everybody wrote it off as a joke, and yet here we are. So even if its pie-in-the-sky type stuff, its a way of setting a mission and setting up expectations for everyone, especially internal employees, but also the market. I'm not sure what will be in this master plan 2.0, but I am almost certain it will sound unrealistic at first.

Automated ride service accomplishes exactly what? It is a no-brainer any grandma can do once cars are autonomous. And such cars are already a clear target. This is no master-plan subject.

Energy sovereignty on the other hand is a paradigm shift that fits the bill just fine.
Tesla Motors + Solar City != Tesla Motors

One does not buy energy any more, he buys energy production capabilities (i.e. power).
Scrap that.. not production capability but receiving capability.
Sun is already a free and totally safe fusion reactor. Solar rays are wireless energy transfer to anywhere on the planet. Using solar lives on wireless transmitted power from free fusion reactor.
For the time being one can also sell that surplus energy to grid, reducing his TCO even further.

Gas cars will get mighty expensive.

What clean energy legacy? "All of the above " aka nothing too dirty or environmentally damaging?
Policies to promote wind and solar under Bush have been maintained, no small feat, with all the fossil lobbying. Clean air requirements hurt coal demand and impact lower middle class blue collar workers in many states. These people can vote in blocks and are normally democrats, but likely to be Trump supporters this cycle. It's nice to arm-chair quarterback, but I doubt Exxon is happier with last 8 years than Sierra Club.
Maintaining renewable policies until now is enough to keep the industry going, even if most support policies were removed. As long as a new administration doesn't create some tax or crazy rules making renewables more expensive, or discarding the EPA and any clean water and air regulations, solar and wind will continue to be the primary new sources of energy in the US. Nat gas has likely peaked in the US and future losses for coal will be mostly due to solar and wind. Getting a compromise now is a good thing. No one knows who will win this fall, but Trump's eco-policy is not likely to be good for the environment, so having a long term agreement now, rather than rolling the dice on the election reduces risks for the renewable industry. Hopefully there is some bone thrown to the coal states to help them transition. It will reduce the fight against clean energy and help states that will face tough times with the decline of a major economic sector. Remember, there are people (voters) on the end of all effective policies, not just "evil" corporations.

*I'm not saying some of the lobbying isn't in the "Thank you for smoking" spirit of civic responsibility, just that not all compromise is based on bad intent.

• Love
Reactions: VanE and SunCatcher
Status
Not open for further replies.