Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of people who are voting that all the negative sentiment has been priced in worries me frankly. Since no one has mentioned it, I'll play the role of debbie-downer for now.

I fear that Q3 guidance won't be as great as we all hope. With production at 2k/wk, ending at 2200/wk, subtracting 2 week for production downtime/maintenance, we're looking at ~22k - 24k vehicles produced. Subtract 5k for the pipeline, and I'm expecting guidance of 22-23k vehicles delivered. Slightly below concensus and throws doubt about whether Q4 can deliver on the balance to meet the 80k for 2016 minimum goal.

And then just to counter myself, the rollback of the shares lent should keep that fear/concern in check, so I'll be buying back if there's a drop on thursday. If no drop, then keeping dry powder for the possibility that Trump is elected president (my buddha save us all in that case!)

The number of people who are voting that all the negative sentiment has been priced in worries me frankly. Since no one has mentioned it, I'll play the role of debbie-downer for now.

I fear that Q3 guidance won't be as great as we all hope. With production at 2k/wk, ending at 2200/wk, subtracting 2 week for production downtime/maintenance, we're looking at ~22k - 24k vehicles produced. Subtract 5k for the pipeline, and I'm expecting guidance of 22-23k vehicles delivered. Slightly below concensus and throws doubt about whether Q4 can deliver on the balance to meet the 80k for 2016 minimum goal.

And then just to counter myself, the rollback of the shares lent should keep that fear/concern in check, so I'll be buying back if there's a drop on thursday. If no drop, then keeping dry powder for the possibility that Trump is elected president (my buddha save us all in that case!)
Why would you subtract 2 weeks for production downtime/maintenance? The Fremont factory doesn't run 24x7. I believe they have 5 or 6 day workweek, and 2 shifts of 8 hours on each workday. Maintenance/tuning is done during this downtime.

My guess is Q3 guidance of around 24K to 27K deliveries.

• Helpful
Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
So in an effort to show transparency, who will be holding TSLA common stock through earnings? I will be holding.
well, sorta. read JHM and looked at differential TSLA/SCTY. put the 2 in a "money bucket" and did a few buy/sells of one and other. managed to eek out a few additional shares of TSLA. otherwise will hold

With Model S demand hanging at almost exactly 1000 cars a week and production possibly shortening wait times slightly, the pressure is on for X production. If X is close to 1000, deliveries should be 24-26,000. Looking at the S delivery tracker, orders seem very close to 1000 for the last 3+ months. The 60 has definitely recharged demand. Now that speculation about the 100 is almost entirely died down, I'm hoping it is a sign it will be revealed very soon. Thinking there will be a 5000 car delivery windfall seems overly optimistic. X's will be in transit to international markets and 5000 is less than 3 weeks of cars in transit. They can time US deliveries to hold west coast deliveries back in August and keep US rolling inventory under two weeks. Not sure how much below 2 weeks they can manage. For international, it would be great to get some input from supply chain experts on the thread. I'm assuming Asia and Europe both require about 3-5 weeks and that is about half the sales channel.
Sorry if this is more medium term, but would love to have better estimates. We missed pretty bad last quarter and would love to see us crowd source some more reliable estimates.
One upbeat stat, the quarterly entries on the Model S tracker site are almost equal to Q2 already.

Why would you subtract 2 weeks for production downtime/maintenance? The Fremont factory doesn't run 24x7. I believe they have 5 or 6 day workweek, and 2 shifts of 8 hours on each workday. Maintenance/tuning is done during this downtime.

My guess is Q3 guidance of around 24K to 27K deliveries.

The current schedule is actually two alternating 12-hour shifts, starting Monday at 6 am and ending Friday at 6 pm. Workers do 3 days one week, then 4 days next. Source: factory employee.

Where's 5K carry-over from Q2 in your Q3 estimate? I think 5K pipeline is kinda high too. Last time they couldn't time it for quarter end, this time they probably can. Not sure if they care about that at this point though.

For me the most interesting from ER, aside from any SCTY comments and anything else surprising, is if they give some details on demand situation for S and X.

Its after hours and I am in the mood to recount an interesting realization. This is probably not the right thread, but whatever.

From time to time, I like to read up on the short BS on seeking alpha to keep myself entertained more than anything else. so I was reading this article by one Mr. Santos and believe it or not, I found an unlikely bullish argument. He was saying

As a positive comment: The only chance I see of the Gigafactory ending up being useful for Tesla, and even then cost-wise it's likely to be a doubtful bet, would be for Randy Carlson to be entirely right regarding his in-module cell processing thesis.

Randy Carlson is an engineer at heart and a huge TSLA bull. And he made some bold predictions in the article that Mr. Santos refers above. If you have an engineering bent of mind, I'd highly recommend pouring a glass of red wine and reading through that article. It is a very interesting thesis he puts together, based just on the fact that the battery pack of model 3 is much larger than expected, given the energy needs. Specifically, he makes a few bold predictions.

1. The battery is air cooled instead of liquid cooled, which is a great way to drop battery costs
  2. The battery pack is probably the same thickness as a Model S despite longer cells (70 MM vs 65 MM in S/X)
  3. Most importantly, Li-ion cells once manufactured need to be 'aged' by very slowly charging & discharging them over a few days, using expensive equipment, which requires these cells to be stored at a production location. This is why cell manufacturing needs a large foot print and expensive. Randy's contention was this was short circuited by TSLA by building the packs first from cells and then 'aging' them in the battery packs
Now I am not a battery expert by any stretch and this all sounded somewhat far fetched to me and I didn't give it much credence. Also this article was more than a month old (6/20).

This morning I was skimming through electrek.co and i was startled when i was reading this article. Specifically the article calls out a few things
  • The half centimeter height increase for the car packs would be offset with more efficient battery packaging which will make the packs actually the same thickness or less than current packs and obviously with a higher energy density.
This is only possible if the connectors are between cells rather than on top of cells, strongly hinting that the battery is air-cooled and not liquid cooled and validates Carlson's first hypothesis

There was also a room for storing and aging battery packs which was again out of comprehension huge.

This was again a Carlson prediction, that it was infact the packs being 'aged' as opposed to the cells. This closed the loop for me on why the pack costs could approach $100 / Kwh with the industry at more than twice the cost with prismatic cells.

Now here is the best part. In a different article Carlson runs the math and arrives at a 44 KWH capacity for the base Model S. This seems reasonable given that an S60, a larger, heavier, and a higher Cd car can achieve 210 miles. So long run, the battery costs for the 3 would be 5-6K for the average 40K model 3 car. This leaves a lot of room for TSLA to very comfortably make 25% GM on the car in the not too far future. If anything, I'd guess that in 2020, unless TSLA drops the prices, the GM could even approach 30%.

Really unbelieveable what Elon and JB accomplished with the gigafactory. Godspeed Tesla and TSLA!!

Good article!

BMS should be able to age cells in the pack, I don't see any problem with that nor it being some kind of groundbreaking improvement. Pack height, AFAIR Tesla's new cells have a different cap design that is less wasteful on space than what everyone else is doing at the moment. Might explain some of the height efficiency.

I was rather taken by that article, too, but am now more doubtful that it is right -- after some discussion on other threads. The feeling is that air-cooling would be much less efficient and harder to control.

However, whatever happens, I think that the Tesla team will make a good engineering choice.

I do not see why this design problem has any relation to the success and usefulness of the Gigafactory. The batteries are needed and the rationale for it are sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.