Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Boy.... I just had to check in on Mark Spiegel's twitter feed, and that guy has completely lost his mind. I wish there was a way to know how much money he is losing shorting TSLA. He has got to be one of the dumbest humans with a twitter account. :p

If he still has clients, he may not have them for long, unless they don't care about constantly spending and losing money in order to try and hurt Tesla, which may be the case.

Oh Boy.... I just had to check in on Mark Spiegel's twitter feed, and that guy has completely lost his mind. I wish there was a way to know how much money he is losing shorting TSLA. He has got to be one of the dumbest humans with a twitter account. :p

LOL - I looked too (morbid curiosity). He is somehow trying to equate/tie in Elon and Tesla with the US giving Iran $400M??? I didn't get it and I chalked it up to him having some sort of breakdown in real time... online...

Mike

I will have to admit though that I still haven't figured out TSLA price movements. In the past, we would expect a stock jump after ER, and we would get hammered. Today we expected a beating, and instead we have gains. I guess it all comes down to market expectations. I was hoping to pick up more cheap shares below 200.... :oops:

Reactions: Nate the Great
LOL - I looked too (morbid curiosity). He is somehow trying to equate/tie in Elon and Tesla with the US giving Iran $400M??? I didn't get it and I chalked it up to him having some sort of breakdown in real time... online...

Mike
He often does this thing where he posts something inane, then retweets a response to himself using the first post as a setup and the second tweet as a punchline. It's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

I actually have a hard time believing he's a real person with real investments - and that he could actually manage other peoples' money. I mean he spends ALL day raging on Twitter and clearly not performing.

Wheeler said only: "This is Jason. The only thing I'd add to that is we did draw $430 million on the ABL this quarter. A lot of that was we had a large amount of cash in transit at the end of the quarter."

He's referring to cash, deposits are accrued and the accrual for Model 3 in Q1 was a minimum of $115 million, so ($679.8 - $391.4) = $288.4 million increase. Eliminating the likely effect of Model 3 deposits, ($373 -$115) = $258 million, means the deposit balance increased ~$30 million for other reasons. With 5,100 in transit, some to fill the X pipeline to Asia, it appears there is no discernible change to backlog either way, especially since the Chinese tariffs/duties are collected before the cars are shipped.

I am going to have to hunt for the specifics on the call regarding booking M3 3/31 monies somewhere.

Anyway - Musk also re-iterates how the ABL is used. Appears they may take ABL money on cars in transit - and presumably they put tht value into the Customer Deposits (since it is a liability) until delivery occurs.

Musk:
"But the ABL is – the asset-backed line is basically finished goods in transit to known customers. It's not like general corporate debt. It's, I think more appropriately thought of as, a slight increase in cost of goods sold."

If that is the case, and 5150 cars in transit at EOQ2, then you have a large Customer Deposits, as you see in the print.

I will have to admit though that I still haven't figured out TSLA price movements. In the past, we would expect a stock jump after ER, and we would get hammered. Today we expected a beating, and instead we have gains. I guess it all comes down to market expectations. I was hoping to pick up more cheap shares below 200.... :oops:
My theory is, around the end of June when they announced their intention to buy SCTY, all longs who were doubtful sold their shares to those who believe in the long term vision. As we saw heavy heavy volume in that week. And Fidelity said they increased their position in Q2 by about 10%. So the holders of the stock now are dominantly die hard bull who are really looking at the long term. Plus, short interest super high and the stock is near impossible to be borrowed to short now. Combine these together, you have next to none selling pressure, no matter what happens (as long as Elon is healthy and model 3 still appears to be on traction).

I
Anyway - Musk also re-iterates how the ABL is used. Appears they may take ABL money on cars in transit - and presumably they put tht value into the Customer Deposits (since it is a liability) until delivery occurs.

Draws on the ABL and Customer Deposits are both Liabilities. Draws on the ABL go into cash on the Asset side. Yesterday's letter says:

"Cash and cash equivalents rose to $3.25 billion at quarter end, driven by the successful completion of our $1.7 billion secondary offering, receipt of Model 3 deposits, an incremental $113 million draw against our ABL, and effective cash management."

Reactions: sunhelm
My theory is, around the end of June when they announced their intention to buy SCTY, all longs who were doubtful sold their shares to those who believe in the long term vision. As we saw heavy heavy volume in that week. And Fidelity said they increased their position in Q2 by about 10%. So the holders of the stock now are dominantly die hard bull who are really looking at the long term. Plus, short interest super high and the stock is near impossible to be borrowed to short now. Combine these together, you have next to none selling pressure, no matter what happens (as long as Elon is healthy and model 3 still appears to be on traction).

It seems like it really comes down to one thing; the second half is setup to be very good assuming no major hiccups. 3Q will probably (not certainly) be the best quarter ever in terms of deliveries, then again in Q4. They should deliver almost as many in the 2nd half of 2016 as in all of 2015, it's tough to keep up with the FUD amidst that.

It seems like it really comes down to one thing; the second half is setup to be very good assuming no major hiccups. 3Q will probably (not certainly) be the best quarter ever in terms of deliveries, then again in Q4. They should deliver almost as many in the 2nd half of 2016 as in all of 2015, it's tough to keep up with the FUD amidst that.
Deliveries may be high, but this is much expected. The problem of not being profitable still hangs. I'm not very optimistic for H2 16 myself. I can see them being non-GAAP profitable for Q4, but not Q3 nor H2 overall. To meet their target of $2.25B CapEx this year, they still need to spend $1.7B in CapEx in H2. This is exactly the amount they raised earlier. So I expect them doing another capital raise (the modest one) in Q1 next year.

Deliveries may be high, but this is much expected. The problem of not being profitable still hangs. I'm not very optimistic for H2 16 myself. I can see them being non-GAAP profitable for Q4, but not Q3 nor H2 overall. To meet their target of $2.25B CapEx this year, they still need to spend $1.7B in CapEx in H2. This is exactly the amount they raised earlier. So I expect them doing another capital raise (the modest one) in Q1 next year.
Note that they also said on the call that they think they can beat the 2.25b number. A bit confusing since they didn't adjust the guidance but I think they will generally try to match with revenues (i.e., more capex in q4 as opposed to q3, to match higher q4 deliveries) and not get too overextended.

Status
Not open for further replies.