Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually how many cars does Tesla directly lease per quarter?

Was 8% last quarter, but they are guiding for 15%. So that would be 7500 cars in 2016 H2. Also, the agreement is for 24 months while Tesla customary leases are for 36 months. Maybe they plan on running more 24 month lease promotions since they were quite the hit. Obviously Tesla only needs to lend for the cost of goods, at around 60k/car which would make this agreement good for around 5000 cars. And every month another 50 or so on top until next year (provided Tesla uses the incoming lease cash to fund new cars instead of paying down the loan) . The interest seems comparable to the ABL (which is 1.65%+LIBOR). Anyway, funding like this is certainly good news but hopefully Tesla is able to sign up more banking partners to make it impressive.

Was 8% last quarter, but they are guiding for 15%. So that would be 7500 cars in 2016 H2. Also, the agreement is for 24 months while Tesla customary leases are for 36 months. Maybe they plan on running more 24 month lease promotions since they were quite the hit. Obviously Tesla only needs to lend for the cost of goods, at around 60k/car which would make this agreement good for around 5000 cars. And every month another 50 or so on top until next year (provided Tesla uses the incoming lease cash to fund new cars instead of paying down the loan) . The interest seems comparable to the ABL (which is 1.65%+LIBOR). Anyway, funding like this is certainly good news but hopefully Tesla is able to sign up more banking partners to make it impressive.

Thanks

Does anyone know under what circumstances Tesla provides direct leasing? Can it not be done directly through third parties to car owners without Tesla standing in between?

Anything can be done, but given Elon Musks well documented aversion against the traditional sales experience I can see how he'd also like to control the leasing experience as much as possible. That's the glass half full explanation. The glass half empty explanation is that they 1) have a huge liability on cars with the Resale Value Guarantee and must control all aspects of the value of two-three year old cars as tightly as possible 2) they need to sell inventory to make the numbers and can only do it by setting residual values a lot higher than other parties would do.

• Helpful
Reactions: SBenson
I think you really need to hold TSLA long term to make profits ... TSLA reminds me of Amazon, Google which you need to hold for 5+ years to see the company grow and your profit rising slowly and hopefully surely
I would be happy to bet you many dollars that if you bought Tesla today at 200 then waited about 60-90 days and sold you would make around 30 or more per share. Plenty of ways to make good money in TSLA other than just holding.

SolarCity's 45 day 'Go shop' period ends on September 14th, exactly one week from now. Tesla has already filed S-4 vetted by some of the best law firms to do this type of job. SEC would not comment or ask for any further clarification until 14th.

Given this background, is Tesla required to disclose back-and-forth conversation with SEC? is there any specific form towards that end? Or, should we expect a series of amended S-4s?

Picked up a small position in SCTY $18.20 today at the equivalent of $165 a Tesla share. Almost a 20% discount.

Large arbitrage discount too hard to resist to average down slightly. If the deal does not go through...could end up worthless.

If for some reason the deal is not approved, I wouldn't be surprised if Elon with the help of a few others take SolarCity private. It appears clear to me that retail investors and analysts who are not accustomed to analyzing atypical business models, or who are being told to sit on the sidelines, aren't able or willing to apply a fair value to SolarCity.

Last edited:
Maybe someone with a lot of clout is really trying to stop the merger. If they succeeded, that would be bad, for both stocks.

I respectfully disagree, I think if the merger was stopped TSLA would jump up significantly.

Unlike almost all other merger/acquisition deals, this deal had a preannouncement, much earlier than the formal deal announcement on August 1st. Both tesla and SolarCity institutional investors had ample time to discuss with the mgmt and decide on. There would have been no formal announcement on August 1st, if Elon had the slightest doubt whether the deal would go through.

I am more confident of this deal going through than any other deal I have ever come across.

Last edited:
Unlike almost all other merger/acquisition deals, this deal had a preannouncement, much earlier than the formal deal announcement on August 1st. Both tesla and SolarCity institutional investors had ample time to discuss with the mgmt and decide on. There would have been no formal announcement on August 1st, if Elon had the slightest doubt whether the deal would go through.

I am more confident of this deal going through than any other deal I have ever come across. FTC approval is a major one, and it is already done.

I am also of the mind that the merger seems like a sure thing. Do you have any speculation on why the market is discounting it so greatly?

Just read this garbage snippet from SA. The post sounds coherent, until you realize that Dutch authorities (what authorities?) investigating the matter simply means the police (authorities?) are investigating (collecting information) about what the heck happened.

Also, it sounds to me like the firefighters weren't trained to handle an EV fire. This sounds like a problem with the fire department, not with Tesla.

Also, the comments from the police and Tesla only confirm that 1) An accident happened, 2) The battery caught on fire, 3) The fire department wasn't sufficiently trained on how to put out an EV fire.

An accident being investigated does not mean the Dutch authorities are investigating Autopilot. Neither the authorities or Tesla have said if Autopilot was active, and even if it was active there is no evidenc to suggest the Autopilot malfunctioned. All the bloggers and BS journalists saying otherwise are drawing baseless inferences.

• SA Editor Carl Surran

• Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) and Dutch authorities are investigating the fatal crash of one of the company’s vehicles near Amsterdam, raising the possibility that the car’s self-driving system might have played a role in the driver’s death.
  • Local reports said the car's battery was broken, and part of it caught fire and was difficult to extinguish, and that firefighters waited for hours to remove the dead man's body from the car due to fears they could be electrocuted.
  • TSLA's self-driving system has received close scrutiny over the past several months after a driver died in Florida when his Model S crashed into the side of a truck.

Last edited:
I am also of the mind that the merger seems like a sure thing. Do you have any speculation on why the market is discounting it so greatly?
Look no further than Seeking Alpha and the frothing-at-the-mouth bears over there. The general sentiment is extremely pessimistic right now. Moreover, some prominent hedge funds are short SCTY big time, and they are leaving no stone unturned. All that effort would prove futile in the end. Even if they scare off all the retail investors, Tesla and SolarCity have enough votes to get this deal through.

I expect even more FUD all the way through earnings release in November and the deal vote a few weeks later. And then, you will see SCTY tracking TSLA in locksteps. Eventually, the market gets it right. Until then, enjoy the show.

Just read this garbage snippet from SA. The post sounds coherent, until you realize that Dutch authorities (what authorities?) investigating the matter simply means the police (authorities?) are investigating (collecting information) about what the heck happened.

Also, it sounds to me like the firefighters weren't trained to handle an EV fire. This sounds like a problem with the fire department, not with Tesla.

Also, the comments from the police and Tesla only confirm that 1) An accident happened, 2) The battery caught on fire, 3) The fire department wasn't sufficiently trained on how to put out an EV fire.

An accident being investigated does not mean the Dutch authorities are investigating Autopilot. Neither the authorities or Tesla have said if Autopilot www active, and even if it was active there is no evidenc to suggest the Autopilot malfunctioned. All the bloggers and BS journalists saying otherwise are drawing baseless inferences.
seeking alpha is the single worst financial site i have ever wasted my time on
with a few exceptions most articles are totally short oriented junk
i rarely go there anymore

The market is remains unimpressed with revenue or potential revenue from a solar model. Probably looking for significant decreased costs for market to understand solar.

And I agree with them. Fundamentally the model will not work. I live in a large city in which one in four residential dwellings have solar power. The market quickly works out what works and what doesnt. The global mega-company installation provider is far too fat and bloated for solar panel installations.

It takes a stupidly large sum of money (upfront and ongoing) to develop the capacity to install solar panels across all markets. You are far better off getting local contractors to do the work. They are lean and hungry for the work and will work razor sharp margins and deliver outstanding service to get and maintain contracts from the panel distributors/manufacturers.

You have 14,000 solar panel installation companies in the US. Don't fight them, work with them! let them sell and install the panels. Let them spruik the benefits.

Right now in Australia we have a significant number of solar installer companies advertising Tesla Powerwalls, and installing them. This exposure will disappear overnight if Tesla brings SolarCity in as the sole provider. Those same companies in a matter of hours instead of being Tesla's friend will slam Tesla's model and will compete with alternative suppliers.

I also think packaging solar and battery storage with Model 3 will do more harm and good, it will cause sticker shock, with a $40,000 car suddenly having a $60,000 price tag - sure people will realise they can buy the car without the solar/storage package but the damage will be done. I have seen it over and over with offering complex and major choices does scare away buyers.

The original 40kwh S was a failure, the much promoted battery swap station died and eventually I think we will see the same withdrawal from the market with Tesla installing solar panels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.