Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TL;DR: gross margin shouldn't take a hit even with the 60 and the discounts we've been seeing lately. Sure, it won't be as high as no discounts, but compared to past two quarters, it shouldn't take a hit and more likely to rise a tiny bit. All thanks to increased production.

Good work. How robust is the result wrt the assumption of a 10% cost reduction on the sourced parts? Tesla has longer term contracts for sourcing parts and certainly their most important cost factor, the battery (see SEC filings). So I am not sure a 10% reduction quarter-over-quarter is entirely realistic.

Has anyone read the following Bloomberg article?

Three Brothers Seek to Overtake Tesla With Souped-Up Plug-In Cars

There are some interesting details about their battery pack construction that seem a little hard to believe when compared to Tesla.

These prices seem too low compared to what is estimated at Tesla, especially considering the difference in the scale on which Tesla works. Is Tesla already getting their cells for less that $100 per KWh?

Also, does anyone know what is being referred to regarding the lack of preservation of full power in Tesla packs?
This old Reddit thread has more details. Someone summarized a video that is in German.

• Informative
Reactions: Gerardf
It feels like this period of artificially deflated, discount TSLA shares will end weeks before Q3 ER as smart money loads up, especially once market realizes SCTY deal will go through successfully. I don't have precise timing, but I think end of October will be too late to buy this dip.

This is of course assuming HRC's polling still indicates a win. If that changes materially, all portfolios will be decimated.

Further, the market is currently discounting solar stocks to below book value. For the courageous, there could be a massive opportunity there. Some pro traders I follow take notice when things like this happen:

tPnyuaN.png

Solar City is still the most recognizable solar brand in the USA. In a world in which the whole planet decides to mothball fossil fuel plants and build out massive utility-scale PV solar and energy storage, the SCTY purchase looks like an absolute bargain.

Last edited:
So I pulled the trigger on a preowned 2013 MS. As a long time investor in TSLA, I thought it would be prudent to find a preowned, still under factory warranty S. I was fortunate to have came across one with about 40k miles of factory warranty left on it.

Although I was very happy about my purchase, I experienced a few issues with the "early" models... After having scoured through this forum the past several years, I knew exactly the types of problems and remedy tesla uses for my car, Tesla service was aware of them.

I want to report to you here that so far, I am very pleased with service (Herbert was the gentlemen that helped me). I brought the car into the the Newport Beach (Pullman) service center and was given a schedule to return on Oct. 20th at 3:30 PM (I will update you guys the details with pictures, perhaps in a different forum). I was told that although I am the second owner, I won't be treated any differently than the first.. this is bc Tesla takes pride in its name (almost brought a tear to my eyes).

I noticed that the facility was swamped, loaded with S and X ready for delivery/pickup. Virtually every parking lot on the front and sides were taken, all the way to the back. I sure hope we beat this Q. But with all honesty, I don't really care if we miss. The next several months I plan on dumping all my income into Tesla, a miss here will only serve as a buying opportunity ;)

In 2013 I experienced the same problem, I had money coming in, but TSLA was on the cusp of breaking out. Although I was loaded up to my neck with TSLA shares and options, I was hoping for a miss due to funds being available at a later time. Oh how much that would've changed my life you will never know. History tends to repeat itself, it'll likely shoot up days before my funds become available, again :/
Congrats! The Decatur, GA store is also loaded up with product to deliver this quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
I think expecting TSLA to trend like NFLX and AMZN is both the most rational and most irrational approach to this stock...

why I think it's the most rational is that when breaking the company down into components and comparing it to equivalents in each sector... then factoring in maturity of each component and risk of execution... there's really no justification for the PPS to climb from here... but considering the potential enthusiasm for both EM, Tesla the company and the general investment consumer base for environmentally driven stocks... TSLA could continue to generate short squeezes and high target supports.

why I think comparing TSLA to NFLX/AMZN is the most irrational approach is *currently* Tesla IS an auto company by definition... just like Google is an advertisement company... 99% of Tesla's revenue comes from auto... the remainder is purely speculation. whereas companies like Netflix and Amazon are currently tech companies. "tech" is sort of a strange category... to me it means it has the capability of dramatic net profit margins in the many 10s of percents in ridiculously short periods of time.

based on that definition... as much innovation as Tesla has in it... it is today still bound by the profit limitations the auto sector imposes... whereas today and even 10 years ago... NFLX and AMZN were not.

considering the low in July was $206... that means you are red on your TSLA to FB transition... and this is a very large stake you're talking about... i'm curious if you hedge?... my gut feeling is that TSLA could take one of two tracks from here... continued modest (in TSLA's terms) ramp up into it's ATH and higher... or a fallout from one it's major investors (FMR/top 5) and drop very sharply toward a 30% to 50% decline.

do you use OTM put options or anything to reduce anxiety on this investment?
You're right. I should hedge but I do not. It's not uncommon for me to take 20 to 30% losses on my investments but then I almost always make it up on the next trade. BTW my cost basis is $224.81

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
:rolleyes:A single but maybe telling point.

As I have posted before I sold one of my Ss back to TM under the GRV program.

That sale was in mid August. I had an extended service plan on the vehicle which TM refunds within 4 weeks of your turn in.

I contacted them today, five weeks after turning in the car and was told there was a delay in processing the paper work and to be patient as the refund would come to me after Oct 1st.

Hmmmm. Interesting that they are deferring at least some cash outflows till after Sept 30th :rolleyes:

I know they won't do it- so
On behalf of Tesla- as a TSLA long, I sincerely thank you for your contribution.
[you should ask for interest--- paid in pre-Oct 1 TSLA stock]

Please DO NOT use Seeking Alpha as a source unless it is, like above one, merely duplicates of transcripts or very carefully vetted. {this is my opinion based on probably 5 years of reading there}

example:

article saying ~30,000 is greater than ~34,500 citing recent Forbes article
(total number of charge point chargers {~30,000} vs Tesla superchargers {~4,500}Plus chargepoint chargers plus (not counted) destination chargers) and refusal to correct when pointed out
Antons article stating 20 reservations without producing 1 reservation number for model 3
Paulos article stating he made a reservation for Powerwall using fake name.

It's interesting how these arguments keep popping up. Same thesis, how to value the company in growth mode? @TrendTrader007 's hypothesis of an increase in price is based on technicals. The rebuttal/query is based on ideas of fundamentals. I will quote Murphy from "Technical Analysis of Financial Markets." (page 5).

"The fundamentalist studies the causes of market movement, while the technician studies the effect. The technician, of course, believes that the effect is all that he or she wants or needs to know and that the reasons, or the causes, are unnecessary. The fundamentalist always has to know why."

Italics are the author's.
Well said! Technicals precede fundamentals
In other words technicals not only reflect what has already happened but presage the future fundamental catalysts
I think of stock charts like an EKG...it can tell you what has happened but also what could happen or is likely to happen
Not a prediction but a probability

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Version 8.0 update getting quite a lot positive press today with some very nice compliments to Tesla in them :

Here’s Your First Look at Tesla’s New Autopilot and UI
Tesla Drivers Wake Up to a Serious Upgrade
Tesla's major Autopilot update starts rolling out today
Tesla is about to start rolling out its biggest software update ever

A good reminder to the market how far ahead Tesla is with updating and even upgrading all cars. Not to mention the costs savings (Jeep/Chysler had to mail out USB-sticks recently).
Articles also mention the more prominent use of the radar as the differentiating improvement on AP, Mobileye will not be amused. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:A single but maybe telling point.

As I have posted before I sold one of my Ss back to TM under the GRV program.

That sale was in mid August. I had an extended service plan on the vehicle which TM refunds within 4 weeks of your turn in.

I contacted them today, five weeks after turning in the car and was told there was a delay in processing the paper work and to be patient as the refund would come to me after Oct 1st.

Hmmmm. Interesting that they are deferring at least some cash outflows till after Sept 30th :rolleyes:
or maybe a delay without a trump like conspiracy i got my refund for the extended warantee back within 2 weeks of trading in my car for a model X this qtr

It feels like this period of artificially deflated, discount TSLA shares will end weeks before Q3 ER as smart money loads up, especially once market realizes SCTY deal will go through successfully. I don't have precise timing, but I think end of October will be too late to buy this dip.

This is of course assuming HRC's polling still indicates a win. If that changes materially, all portfolios will be decimated.

Further, the market is currently discounting solar stocks to below book value. For the courageous, there could be a massive opportunity there. Some pro traders I follow take notice when things like this happen:

tPnyuaN.png

Solar City is still the most recognizable solar brand in the USA. In a world in which the whole planet decides to mothball fossil fuel plants and build out massive utility-scale PV solar and energy storage, the SCTY purchase looks like an absolute bargain.

Whole article:
New Record Low Solar Price in Abu Dhabi – Costs Plunging Faster Than Expected

Trading desks trying to make a big deal of the inventory push just now. Most in here are definitely anti-TSLA and largely pro-Trump. Makes sense. FWIW, I gave them my 2 cents worth for Q3.

************ (09:52:41 AM):
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4007826-tesla-massive-discounts TSLA Hundreds of Model S inventory units now available.
Large discounts available, even on basically new cars.
What happened to production constrained theory?
************** (09:53:08 AM): Buy Certified Pre-Owned Cars & Trucks Online

Edit, also:
***** (10:17:03 AM): *TESLA SEEKS DECLARATORY JUDGEMENT ON MICHIGAN FACILITIES
***** (10:17:35 AM): *TESLA FILES COMPLAINT FOR DECLARATORY, INJUNCTIVE RELIEF

Last edited:
Joel posted this over in the Michigan section, thought it would be of interest. Tesla files suit in the Western District of Michigan alleging the State of Michigan violated Due Process, Equal Protection, and Commerce Clause of the U.S. constitution.

Shot across the bow of ICE and dealerships.

NewTesla filed a constitutional challenge this morning in the Western District of Michigan.

Attached Files:
  • Informative x 1
  • List

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.