Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@vgrinshpun And others. What would you say is the industry timing cycle average for bringing a entirely new car/platform luxury suv to market from let's say prototype to volume production? It seems to me that if you just look at the mx development time relative to industry average, it was actually pretty damn impressive, delays and all.

According to this normal time from design freeze to market is 24 months.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...s-cutting-development-time-and-costs-for-new-

So if design freeze was this summer, normal time to market would be 2018 summer.

According to this normal time from design freeze to market is 24 months.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...s-cutting-development-time-and-costs-for-new-

So if design freeze was this summer, normal time to market would be 2018 summer.

That is in reference to a new model of a established car platform, not a entirely new car/platform. Part of the model x delay was the initial estimate of being able to build it off of the model s platform, which didn't work out and it needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.

That is in reference to a new model of a established car platform, not a entirely new car/platform. Part of the model x delay was the initial estimate of being able to build it off of the model s platform, which didn't work out and it needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.

I was trying to say, that it takes two years to get a car to market from design freeze and if that is also the case for Model 3, we are talking about summer 2018 for launch.

• Disagree
Reactions: BornToFly
I was trying to say, that it takes two years to get a car to market from design freeze and if that is also the case for Model 3, we are talking about summer 2018 for launch.

That's assuming tesla executes at industry average. You ignored my previous question of what is industry average for building a new car/platform from the ground up to volume production. From what I recall reading it is around 6 years. Which means even in the case of the model x delays, tesla's execution was far quicker than industry average. Especially for a ground up luxury high tech SUV.

That's assuming tesla executes at industry average. You ignored my previous question of what is industry average for building a new car/platform from the ground up to volume production. From what I recall reading it is around 6 years. Which means even in the case of the model x delays, tesla's execution was far quicker than industry average. Especially for a ground up luxury high tech SUV.

Was Model X ready when it was launched?

I don't know, what is industry average.

Anyway, Model X was revealed February 2012 and volume deliveries started about 4 years later. And it is not completely new car, IIRC 30% of parts are shared with Model S.

Every new car, of course, has parts shared. But the big difference in development time is if the chassis/platform is built from the ground up. As was the case for the model x. It seems pretty clear that relative to its cost/class and ground up build, tesla actually beat industry average by a good margin considering prototype to volume production for a ground up build on a luxury class car. (delays included)

The Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Downgrade From Goldman Sachs? Ignore It

"But from the standpoint of TSLA stock, it's clear Goldman Sachs has had no clue"

And as he also states :

"And with production of its Model 3 sedan, which the company says is on target to launch by late 2017, Tesla stock should be owned, not traded. And Goldman Sachs should be ignored."

Last edited:
Every new car, of course, has parts shared. But the big difference in development time is if the chassis/platform is built from the ground up. As was the case for the model x.

Anyway we are now talking about Model 3 and normal time to market from design freeze is 24 moths. You believe, that Tesla can do that faster than car manufacturers in general. I don't. We can agree to disagree.

I actually believe that MX initially was off the table for full focus development due to unexpected MS demand. This would include the limitations on battery availability at the time. I think it is very possible and appropriate that the company delayed the MX to some extent to maximixe the MS. Therefore delays in the Mx were in part planned and not necessarily applicable to the M#. This is not to lessen the complication of the MX and that delay which occurred due to hubris.

Just a FYI that the Electric link shows a different GS analyst than Bloomberg (Patrick Archambault vs. David Tamberrino). If it is David (per Bloomberg) then I'm much less concerned.

Tesla’s (TSLA) stock is down after Goldman Sachs cuts price target, sees slower Model 3 ramp up
Goldman Downgrades Tesla, Months After Underwriting Offering

They have very different track records per Tip Rank:

Patrick Archambault
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/patrick-archambault
Ranked #385 out of 4,190 Analysts
(#523 of 9,650 overall experts)

David Tamberrino:
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/david-tamberrino
Ranked #3,978 out of 4,190 Analysts
(#9,202 of 9,650 overall experts)

Imagine if GS upgraded TSLA instead, then there would have been all the chatter about upgrade before equity raise. So, one could argue that GS has been left out of equity raise this time.

Well, there's a Chinese Wall between the Analyst side of GS and the Investment Banking side... just saying
Just a FYI that the Electric link shows a different GS analyst than Bloomberg (Patrick Archambault vs. David Tamberrino). If it is David (per Bloomberg) then I'm much less concerned.

Tesla’s (TSLA) stock is down after Goldman Sachs cuts price target, sees slower Model 3 ramp up
Goldman Downgrades Tesla, Months After Underwriting Offering

They have very different track records per Tip Rank:

Patrick Archambault
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/patrick-archambault
Ranked #385 out of 4,190 Analysts
(#523 of 9,650 overall experts)

David Tamberrino:
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/david-tamberrino
Ranked #3,978 out of 4,190 Analysts
(#9,202 of 9,650 overall experts)

Yeah, I was very confused by the switch also... it's always been Patrick A..

Update: BloomTerd article says: "Since he had upgraded the stock, Archambault has left Goldman. Tamberrino was on his team at the time." So, there you have it. Patrick isn't with GS now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.