Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, what is industry average.

Anyway, Model X was revealed February 2012 and volume deliveries started about 4 years later. And it is not completely new car, IIRC 30% of parts are shared with Model S.
I've written several articles with that data. Model s was the fastest ramped alternative fuel vehicle ever. Faster than the Prius, faster than the leaf and faster than the volt.

My concern is that if many more millions of shares become available over the next several weeks and there is enough irrational short sellers who continue to pile on we might face continuing SP slide that has nothing to do with the company's fundamentals. It literally becomes a tag of war, a serious game designed to terminate the opponent. The time of reckoning will come, but according to well known maxim, “The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent".

I am wondering if Elon can try to repeat profitable Q3 in Q4 and guide accordingly. I think that guidance for profit in Q4 would carry a lot of weight if they became convincingly profitable in Q3.

Yes, I think the opportunity shorts are out of the game at the moment and the shorts with malice are in. They'd love to scuttle the SCTY deal or the 4th quarter equity raise by keeping TSLA low. Nonetheless, 3Victoria has a valid point that this is an attractive price point for longs to enter and a dangerous price point for shorts to enter.

Sorry to disagree, but this wouldn't be possible and send the wrong message. They need to spend capex on the model 3 production line, and gigafactory cell production line. They've already guided for massive capex spending in q4 AND q4 loss. Changing the goal to profitability will raise questions about whether they're spending enough to meet model 3 timelines. It also would show them being more interested in wall street sentiment than model 3 execution.

They already have permission to spend like mad, let them do it.

Tesla's plan is to go for cash flow positive in Q3 and profitability in Q3 and Q4, I believe. The company can still spend furiously on capex in Q4 and still show a profit, but it won't be showing cash flow positive in Q4 unless the inflow from the equity raise is considered.

Edit: Vgrinshpun beat me to it.

Goldman Sachs analysts frequently get wrong. I know this from my past experience. Sometimes it's because their analysts don't know what they are talking about, sometimes they intentionally give misleading predictions. The intentional part is my speculation, I don't have proof.

Anyway, based on this new GS analyst's track record, and based on his reasoning, I think he just doesn't know what he is dealing with. I don't mind if someone gives a price target of $150 or $50. The key is their reasoning has to make sense. In this case he just made onto my ignore list.

I checked the spreadsheet how GS got the previous $240 and today's $185. Both of their analysts don't know what they are talking about. ( I try hard to not use the word idiot). They are wrong on several major factors.

First, when EVs are shown better AND cheaper than ICEs, they will just take over like digital camera replace film camera. GS is missing a factor by 10 in this prediction. They think ICE will continue to dominate the market forever?

Second, they think there is a 2/3 chance Elon is just an ordinary CEO, Tesla will become an ordinary car company in a tiny EV market. In reality, there is less than 5% chance for that case. I think Elon Musk can not be compared to the names they listed. Elon is in his own league, way above any names they mentioned in the table. Tesla's intrinsic value as of today is several fold more than GS's price target. I have my own table and calculation. There is no need to argue with them. I take advantage and add shares.

However, recently I saw several posts saying they are 120% long, this sometimes leads to trouble.

My general rule is carefully study and pick 5 best stocks, 20% in each, watch and let them grow. If a case is really compelling, I can go up to 90% on one stock + 10% cash. That's assume stocks only represent half of my total asset. If someone hold 120% long one stock, suddenly for whatever reason, the market gives him a really great buying opportunity, he probably doesn't have fund to buy, and could be forced to sell. I am talking about 2002 and 2008 type of opportunities.

I have the belief nobody can predict short term with decent reliability. Otherwise he can quickly become a trillionaire using leverage. I guess Tesla has a few cards that could help the stock in near term. Just a guess, not a prediction.
No cards needed, just remember Kodak and Xerox and buy sunscreen...

Yes, I think the opportunity shorts are out of the game at the moment and the shorts with malice are in. They'd love to scuttle the SCTY deal or the 4th quarter equity raise by keeping TSLA low. Nonetheless, 3Victoria has a valid point that this is an attractive price point for longs to enter and a dangerous price point for shorts to enter.

The problem is, as you highlighted on many occasions, that short selling is optimized and timed to drive the price down, while buying by retail investors like 3Victoria is not timed / optimized for driving the SP up...

Ideally we need large institutional investors to defend SP from short selling attacks.

O
Wow. Up from 15/20 percent they used in 2014 -- already very high -- even though the company is now more mature.

Their current discount rate is 25%/20% (high/low growth rate). I think 12.5% to 15% discount rate is appropriate as it is the highest discount rate used in other valuation reports that I came across. All things being equal, at 13% discount rate, the valuation almost doubles; instead of $185, it becomes almost $370!

The problem is, as you highlighted on many occasions, that short selling is optimized and timed to drive the price down, while buying by retail investors like 3Victoria is not timed / optimized for driving the SP up...

Ideally we need large institutional investors to defend SP from short selling attacks.
Exactly, this is something that puzzles me. So who are these short sellers who always seem to flawlessly orchestrate their attack to synergistically bring down the SP. Are they retail buyers or institutions? On the other hand the longs don't seem to receive protection from short attacks, as seen in the main institutions which are the largest shareholders allowing their shares to be borrowed for short selling. In the short term it can be seen as earning profit from the interest, but in the long run, the SP is suppressed and will result in further repercussions like merger failure or equity raise, to their own detriment. Would be nice to see a champion of the longs leading a defense committed to protecting the SP and allowing it to blossom based on the true progress of the company

I understand in this case you're making a distinction, but I don't think any bull investor has ever doubted that selling Teslas were a profitable endeavor. So when you speculated that Elon might guide for Q4 profitability, it can only be assumed to be about cash flow. So if you're point was only about Q4 being profitable minus capex, then that's not really saying anything that would help move the SP.

Q4 CapEx will not affect Q4 profitability, just cash flow. I am not suggesting to shoot for positive cash flow, just for profitability. Achieving profitability in Q4 will not limit CapEx in any way.

They guided for approximately $1,030MM of OpEx in 2016H2. There is no need to lower these planned expenses. Profitability is achievable if they empty the vehicles in transit pipeline.

EDIT: You are wrong to suggest that they guided for a loss in Q4 - they did not.

From their Q2 conference call:
"
Rod Lache - Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc.

Sounds like a lot of innovation there. One last just housekeeping thing for Elon or Jason. You'd previously talked about the objective of profitability in the fourth quarter, but I know a lot's changing with the mix and also with the direct leasing. So is that also something that we should think as being pushed out a quarter?

Elon Reeve Musk - Chairman, Product Architect and CEO

Well, if you exclude Model 3 CapEx ramp, then – well in fact, really for Q3 and for Q4, Tesla would be profitable excluding the Model 3 CapEx ramp.
"

That to me reads like them guiding for net negative due to model 3 capex.

CAD and computer simulations can speed up development and maybe replace early prototypes, but some things take time. Like getting x miles on real road testing or simulating the environmental effect on the car over 4 or 8 years to for example make sure there are no big rust issues - even if you have some environmental test chamber you won't get those results in a few days. And some things like driving dynamics in certain conditions probably need "real life" testing.
Tesla does testing in some very unique ways. Check out this video of Marc Tarpenning at 31:10 where he discusses how Tesla was able to quickly turn around suspension testing on a frozen lake:

This entire video is very enlightening if you haven't seen it.

I understand in this case you're making a distinction, but I don't think any bull investor has ever doubted that selling Teslas were a profitable endeavor. So when you speculated that Elon might guide for Q4 profitability, it can only be assumed to be about cash flow. So if you're point was only about Q4 being profitable minus capex, then that's not really saying anything that would help move the SP.

From their Q2 conference call:
"
Rod Lache - Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc.

Sounds like a lot of innovation there. One last just housekeeping thing for Elon or Jason. You'd previously talked about the objective of profitability in the fourth quarter, but I know a lot's changing with the mix and also with the direct leasing. So is that also something that we should think as being pushed out a quarter?

Well, if you exclude Model 3 CapEx ramp, then – well in fact, really for Q3 and for Q4, Tesla would be profitable excluding the Model 3 CapEx ramp.
"

Except that by definition capex has only a relatively minor impact on profitability since capital items are depreciated over many years. Seems hard to imagine that one quarter of additional m3 related depreciation could move them from profitable to a loss.

Reactions: erha

I look at institutional investors as being like somebody's rich uncle: they own lots of different stocks, have lots of dry powder lying around, and don't get too worked up about things. The rich uncle would regard shorts selling into new positions just weeks prior to what is most likely going to be an excellent earnings call as being just plain dumb, but if they're willing to throw their money away he's happy to buy a fair chunk of shares at discounted prices when the momentum turns upward. The rich uncle assumes the market will correct the misappropriate stock price quickly after the ER.

On the other hand, I see Musk as sharing our situation more closely. He's heavily invested in TSLA, he wants to see both the merger and the equity raise succeed at the best possible terms, and for this reason he's more likely to help us (by releasing some good news) than the rich uncle would.

"

This was a controversial quote from Musk because it didn't really make sense. He was correcting Jason, who had just said that Tesla would be profitable. I think they didn't want to let the cat out of the bag back then, and so Elon tagged something onto the statement of profitability (excluding the Model 3 CapEx ramp) that didn't make sense because CapEx spending doesn't figure directly into profitability (CapEx directly affects cash flow, however). Jason was smart enough not to correct his boss on this one. From that day on, I expected profitability (period) because Jason had spoken something that he wasn't supposed to say at that point and Elon's correction didn't make sense.

I now understand where your confusion came from. The CEO of Tesla said something that was illogical, which is something we seldom hear from Musk.

Last edited:
Exactly, this is something that puzzles me. So who are these short sellers who always seem to flawlessly orchestrate their attack to synergistically bring down the SP. Are they retail buyers or institutions? On the other hand the longs don't seem to receive protection from short attacks, as seen in the main institutions which are the largest shareholders allowing their shares to be borrowed for short selling. In the short term it can be seen as earning profit from the interest, but in the long run, the SP is suppressed and will result in further repercussions like merger failure or equity raise, to their own detriment. Would be nice to see a champion of the longs leading a defense committed to protecting the SP and allowing it to blossom based on the true progress of the company

Asymmetric warfare?

In the light of recent events , we can see that a resounding delivery number has a limited punch in delivering the SP up, which in turn is easily brought down by shorts and analysts with vested interest. It remains to be seen if GAAP profitability also has its limitations. Perhaps something more drastic with an added element of surprise, like a breakthrough update in TE is needs to deliver the final killing blow.

This was a controversial quote from Musk because it didn't really make sense. He was correcting Jason, who had just said that Tesla would be profitable. I think they didn't want to let the cat out of the bag back then, and so Elon tagged something onto the statement of profitability (excluding the Model 3 CapEx ramp) that didn't make sense because CapEx spending doesn't figure directly into profitability (CapEx directly affects cash flow, however). Jason was smart enough not to correct his boss on this one. From that day on, I expected profitability (period) because Jason had spoken something that he wasn't supposed to say at that point and Elon's correction didn't make sense.

I now understand where your confusion came from. The CEO of Tesla said something that was illogical, which is something we seldom hear from Musk.

Any idea why Elon didn't wanted to let the cat out of the bag back then? With the employee memo, he let more cats out of the bag, arguably premature. His actions are puzzling and contradictory. Could it be to confuse shorts?

Care to make a wager? ;-)

Note: I'm willing to bet primarily because I want an emotional hedge. I hope you're right, if so, I'll happily take a picture of something silly while I profit. If I continue to lose truckloads of money via options, I'd like to see you bald, eating a sock or some such thing to ease the blow. No pressure. :)

I'll make this a bit fun. :D

How does this sound for a wager? If I'm right, you film yourself eating a bowl of ghost peppers and drinking a full glass of WULIANG CHUN 五粮春酒. If I'm wrong I film myself eating a bowl of ghost peppers and drinking a full glass of WULIANG CHUN 五粮春酒. Sound good?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Looks like the max pain web page has some issues:
Max Pain | Maximum-Pain.com
Last time I checked max pain was at $210.
Will be interesting if today we move up towards max pain or max pain is coming down significantly to where the SP is currently trading.

Indeed, the max-pain site does wierd things.

I found this one : Strike Pegger for TSLA

215 seems high, but I will take it :)
(but the slope is not very steep,and I would not be surprised to see the shorts giving it another try today)

upload_2016-10-7_11-1-59.png

Last edited:

That appeared as clear as mud to me. I'm an engineer and am pretty good with numbers, but this stuff seems to be deep in accounting territory. Both you and vgrinshpun said the same thing about capex, so I guess that must be the case.

But just for my edification, are you saying that whatever is spent for capital expenses (like factory equipment, airstream trailers, and buildings) doesn't get deducted (even though the full dollar amount was already spent) from revenue in exactly the same way as COGS? Instead, only the depreciation of those capital goods are what's deducted? If that's the case, then doesn't this undermine one of the pillars of support of Tesla's financials? How can we claim last year that if it weren't for all the spending on growing the business (expanding the production line, opening new stores and service centers, and building out the supercharger network), Tesla would've been a profitable company. All those growth items should've been treated as CapEx, and amortized over a long period of time? right? Or am I missing a fundamental detail?

• Helpful
Reactions: Gerasimental
That appeared as clear as mud to me. I'm an engineer and am pretty good with numbers, but this stuff seems to be deep in accounting territory. Both you and vgrinshpun said the same thing about capex, so I guess that must be the case.

But just for my edification, are you saying that whatever is spent for capital expenses (like factory equipment, airstream trailers, and buildings) doesn't get deducted (even though the full dollar amount was already spent) from revenue in exactly the same way as COGS? Instead, only the depreciation of those capital goods are what's deducted? If that's the case, then doesn't this undermine one of the pillars of support of Tesla's financials? How can we claim last year that if it weren't for all the spending on growing the business (expanding the production line, opening new stores and service centers, and building out the supercharger network), Tesla would've been a profitable company. All those growth items should've been treated as CapEx, and amortized over a long period of time? right? Or am I missing a fundamental detail?

You got it right with your basic understanding. But sometimes it gets a bit more complicated.

You buy a machine to expand your capacity of the factory. Or you build a new factory. These costs will be change your cash flow, but not your expenses. When the machine is placed in service you start monthly depreciation of the machine. Destribute the cost of the machine over the estimated number of months it will be of service.

But, there are other examples:

You also hire people to work the machine. You train them. You will incur labor costs even before the machine is placed into service. These will not be in your balance sheet, but in you P/L statement.

Bottom line: Not all costs of expanding capacity are CapEx, some go right to P/L.

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly

Three reasons growth companies may as profitable during a growth phase.

1. Capital expense items are not immediately utilized. Example - depreciation starts for Model 3 equipment which will only bring revenue a year from now.
2. Not everything gets capitalized. This varies but generally you will have expenses for small items which can add up. Also, generally travel and employees costs for people managing the setup are not capitalized.
3. Labor will be hired to be trained etc before they are needed. Also, during a ramp the per unit labor costs will be higher as unit you get to full capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.