Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with this. As long as Model 3 has most of the things that Model S/X has as options (AP, Super Chargers, long range, ludicrous performance) it will be compelling enough to offset any lack of execution with respect to the customers. As in, they can make a Model X type of launch and communication and still be fine, and they can also do lousy service and have too little capacity for Super Chargers.

Of course it would be a lot better if they delivered of all of it, but they don't have to. It would still sell all they can produce per year. Just because something is desirable does not mean it would derail the company or the mission if it does not happen.

Eventually they have to deliver quality on that as well, but I think that would be post Model 3 launch, so let's say 2020.

This is the short term forum and I agree that Tesla has the brand appeal and ability to build desirable products to keep it profitable in the short term. In the long term, I think the Model 3 execution is crucial to the reputation and future sales of the company. I also think there is a good change that the leadership at Tesla may have the long view (10 years) in mind and be willing to invest the R&D in the hopes of becoming a mainstream automaker, even if that means poor short term stock.

Well, LNKD exceeded Q4 estimates but gave soft/revised downward guidance and got wacked...... OK. Tesla/EM: If we get a decent but not a big beat on Q4ER I guess we need EM to give a great presentation/guidance on CC. So, if the steak just is OK, I guess I want to hear sizzle? Opposite my mantra.....:scared:

Yeah. Tesla's a growth stock. Guidance should be for losta growth (sizzle). If it's soft, then you get LinkedIn price action I guess

Tesla Q4 should be at expectations (the steak is good)

Yeah.. I miss CapOp and sleepyhead too...

Well I think it will be hard but not impossible. Comparing with GM Bolt is not very appropriate either. Tesla has the experience with S (and X if that matters) to begin with while Bolt is an almost total new experience for GM (EV1 team was ditched long ago), so Tesla has some advantage in the RND for this mass market EV to begin with. Plus, they have been allocating resources on the 3 in 2015 and maybe before. To what extent we don't know.
It's not just about the electric part, but about the whole car. Look at the Model X issues. No it's not the drive train that's causing delays, it's stuff that every ICE car has, too. Sure the Falcon Wing Doors are one special case, but trim alignments, small electronics, rattles, body panels etc. YOU NEED PROTOTYPES. If the Model 3 is steel then corrosion also will be a much bigger factor.

Tesla doesn't need to do the endless battery validation that the Bolt has had to do. At least I doubt they're going with radically new cell/battery pack configurations in the Model 3.

Their hardest challenge I'm sure is getting the price point low enough, and researching on how to do it efficiently and effectively for a mass market pricing level.
A lot of that can be done in the lab. But to figure out stamping, trims and perfect interior fits you have to build the cars.

I would be seriously worried about the Model 3 launch (date) if we don't see prototypes very soon.
Model X prototypes were far too late.

Last edited:
This is good to know. btw the poster you are responding to was using humor in light of the X delay and all the FUD. Now that production is starting to be back to business as usual I suspect we'll get a bump. Kruggar is long Tesla. Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of you.

Thank you:biggrin: . Big fan, just made a balance transfer bought my first shares :biggrin: TM needs us and we need TM

Non-issue. Everyone knows how to deal with steel cars; undercoating and yearly oil spraying.

Is that sarcasm? I ask because even here in Ontario, where we lay salt faster than McDonald's, very few do yearly oil spaying. Factory undercoat is pretty much just for trucks as well. We expect cars to survive at least ten years bareback, and punish companies like Mazda that don't engineer for that.

I don't see how this is possible. Almost all of the R&D, production line design, Supplier sourcing, prototype building, and testing for the Model 3 will have to take place this year if Tesla has any hope of releasing it next year.

For context; Chevy had put over 2 million miles on 50 fully production spec prototypes over a year before production. At the start of last year they had over 1000 engineers working just on the Bolt.

If Tesla has hopes to sell at a larger scale, they are going to have to invest even more.

If you consider the hiring and budgeting process Tesla goes through, I think their estimate of R&D costs should be much more accurate than what either you or I can guess with our available information.

That said, consider that in 2015 Tesla was spending R&D big time on Tesla Energy, Model X, Model 3, and autopilot. This car might be quite a bit further along than either of us suspect. Since Elon made his 2016 R&D reduction estimate, the likely R&D for autopilot had expanded, but probably not so much as to tip the scales. In 2016, Tesla Energy will likely see less R&D (since they have usable products now), Model X will see a huge reduction, and Model 3 will see continued R&D. The heavy lifting R&D for production will likely spin up later in 2016 and really get going in 2017.

Model 3 will indeed be a simpler car than either Model S or Model X. That simplicity and the ability to reuse existing technologies should make Model 3 significantly easier to create than previous Teslas, meaning less R&D required than an engineering monster such as Model X.

Last edited:
No chance we go over over 190 before opening Monday, right?

I would be very happy to see that happen:wink: But most likely you'll get big enough timing window to buy low and can't exclude possibility to go even lower

- - - Updated - - -

I also think it's oversold and should up 15-20 points from today's low before ER. So I bought some shares pre-market @ 169 today. Very long time no see such bargin!

Last edited:
This has got to be the best buy indicator of the week. An old dinosaur who isn't in the financial industry (and hence can say whatever he wants without SEC investigations) goes on TV early in the morning to encourage weak hands to sell a stock like crazy so shorts can have one last push to cover. He can use the fact that he was formally with GM to say he's inherently biased against Tesla not for money reasons but because he's from GM... so he can make these statements. Meanwhile, we have no idea what happens in offshore accounts between people after the shorts make their payday.

Indeed, when bad news piled up, it's time to buy.

This is the short term forum and I agree that Tesla has the brand appeal and ability to build desirable products to keep it profitable in the short term. In the long term, I think the Model 3 execution is crucial to the reputation and future sales of the company. I also think there is a good change that the leadership at Tesla may have the long view (10 years) in mind and be willing to invest the R&D in the hopes of becoming a mainstream automaker, even if that means poor short term stock.

Well, there is just so much they can invest for R&D. They are not going to invest as much as Toyota does for their next Corolla. It is about doing the most with what you have. Also, they managed to develop both S and X on a small budget so I don't see why they could not do the same with Model 3.

You are right of course that they need to control the supply chain and cost control much better, and that requires more resources and work in those areas. But they can still do the beta launch they did with X and solve things as they go. The main objection I had with your statement was that you said they have to execute much better with respect to delays and customers for their vision to be intact and the survival of the company. I just don't see this being the case. In what way would Tesla go under if the first 10000 customers of Model 3 would have a bad experience similar to the early adopters of Model S and X? Their reputation would suffer but there is 490000 other customer that had a good experience, just as all Model S customers have now.

The main objection I had with your statement was that you said they have to execute much better with respect to delays and customers for their vision to be intact and the survival of the company. I just don't see this being the case. In what way would Tesla go under if the first 10000 customers of Model 3 would have a bad experience similar to the early adopters of Model S and X? Their reputation would suffer but there is 490000 other customer that had a good experience, just as all Model S customers have now.

Tesla's plan is for 500,000 cars a year only three years after production on the 3; That leaves very little room for any hand made parts or engineering solutions that are not completely tested. A problem found two years down the road, could affect a quarter million cars. Tesla also won't have the Luxury of throwing money at any problems; An extra 5 thousand to build the X might not be a problem, an extra 5 thousand to build the 3 could turn the whole company upside down.

Lastly, The american market has been full of new desirable brands that gain popularity, but fizzle off due to lack of reliability (Alfa, Jaguar, Mini). The companies that have put R&D and reliability first, like the Japanese, seem a better path to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there is just so much they can invest for R&D. They are not going to invest as much as Toyota does for their next Corolla. It is about doing the most with what you have. Also, they managed to develop both S and X on a small budget so I don't see why they could not do the same with Model 3.

In order to keep this conversation on topic; imagine that there were no early adopters, no "greenies" too...

Last edited:
Yeah, you are right about the risk of a problem being discovered when the Model 3 fleet is large. I would probably add that as a risk for Model 3, I don't expect them to increase pre-release testing with a huge factor to avoid it, mainly because I don't think they will have the resources and time to do so. However, they will have data from technology and manufacturing from S and X that would lessen this risks to a degree. But yeah, I think it is more likely unfortunately that they do too little testing as oppose to too much.

There is a trade-off between technology and fast iterations on one hand and reliability on the other. For example, the German cars have not been as reliable as the Asian ones but have had a couple of years lead in technology and design. Tesla seems to be more like them, and I don't think they can change that with their limited resources. It is also a part of their culture to move fast.

The early adopters are a reality so I don't see how it would help to imagine them not to be. Tesla would not have survived without them. And there is a large number of people that would pay extra in various ways because of the environment aspect of using a BEV.

As I am young, with my own companies; I don't invest and to me all of this is a hypothetical discussion. If I had money to spare I would invest in Tesla right now as I see this as a low. I don't see extreme highs in the future as I think Tesla has extreme challenges to come. I see TSLA at 260 a year from now, 290 2 years from now and 380, 3 years from now. (give or take market flux)

From prior conference calls, it was mentioned that M3 development was in parallel to MX. That should assuage fears of wasting time. And clearly to ramp up to 500k annual volume, will require planning several years in advance.

Yeah, you are right about the risk of a problem being discovered when the Model 3 fleet is large. I would probably add that as a risk for Model 3, I don't expect them to increase pre-release testing with a huge factor to avoid it, mainly because I don't think they will have the resources and time to do so. However, they will have data from technology and manufacturing from S and X that would lessen this risks to a degree. But yeah, I think it is more likely unfortunately that they do too little testing as oppose to too much.

There is a trade-off between technology and fast iterations on one hand and reliability on the other. For example, the German cars have not been as reliable as the Asian ones but have had a couple of years lead in technology and design. Tesla seems to be more like them, and I don't think they can change that with their limited resources. It is also a part of their culture to move fast.

The early adopters are a reality so I don't see how it would help to imagine them not to be. Tesla would not have survived without them. And there is a large number of people that would pay extra in various ways because of the environment aspect of using a BEV.

Status
Not open for further replies.