Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on topic: Next Monday's product unveiling. For those who have spent some due diligence on this, are we pretty sure it will be next gen Autopilot hardware? I think it's very likely. Like last weekend's treat, I'm thinking he'll provide details Friday or this weekend.

One theory I had is that Musk wants to catch people off guard by not acting like it's a big deal, then the whole 'a win can feel like a win' for first time in a while, kicking things off for the seriously jam packed schedule for the remainder of the year.

10/17: Product unveil
10/26: Earnings
10/28: SCTY/Tesla Solar roof and Powerpack 2.0 unveil
11/1: Tesla will provide more details on merger financials
11/17: Vote

Last edited:
But I don't understand why everyone can't either ignore them, or at least not reply, or at least include a quote.

There are a few reasons for this, IMO:

(1) Depending on the amount of time someone has spent here, it may not be apparent if another person is trolling or not. A lot of people don't know much about Tesla and won't be able to easily spot arguments that have been debunked a million times already. The openly aggressive trolls (ones who flame, insult, and use abusive language) do get banned. Accounts dedicated to spreading FUD are just harder to monitor.

(2) The definition of trolling is different for everyone. You might think someone is worthy of ignore, but others might not.

(3) People are going to reply to stuff. That's just human nature. Moderators on various boards will often say "don't feed trolls" but that has always been a very naive view IMO, for the reasons I state in (1) or (2).

I am sorry to say that this thread has become increasingly worthless in the past few months, but one reaps what is sown. Other message boards that I frequent, which are less controversial and have little connection to financial matters, deal with trolls pretty harshly. I do not know if there is just a lack of resources, but the "anything goes" way of doing things here is having consequences.

There are a few reasons for this, IMO:

(1) Depending on the amount of time someone has spent here, it may not be apparent if another person is trolling or not. A lot of people don't know much about Tesla and won't be able to easily spot arguments that have been debunked a million times already. The openly aggressive trolls (ones who flame, insult, and use abusive language) do get banned. Accounts dedicated to spreading FUD are just harder to monitor.

(2) The definition of trolling is different for everyone. You might think someone is worthy of ignore, but others might not.

(3) People are going to reply to stuff. That's just human nature. Moderators on various boards will often say "don't feed trolls" but that has always been a very naive view IMO, for the reasons I state in (1) or (2).

I am sorry to say that this thread has become increasingly worthless in the past few months, but one reaps what is sown. Other message boards that I frequent, which are less controversial and have little connection to financial matters, deal with trolls pretty harshly. I do not know if there is just a lack of resources, but the "anything goes" way of doing things here is having consequences.

Not having @Robert.Boston moderating anymore has hurt a lot. No offense intended to @AudubonB (I think you guys shared duties when he was here? It's a big job for one person).

I think the overseas Model X reservation list was likely very shallow to begin with.

Last estimated tally had 9,732 outside of the U.S., so with only 3,500, there's still quite a bit. With the U.S., deliveries have reached a little past 50% of the original estimated tally. Using this information from 9/2015:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/161372/

Obviously, there's people that dropped their reservations for whatever reason and others that placed orders that were not on the reservation list.

Hong Kong + Australia had 836 on the reservation list - I couldn't find a UK number, but obviously those are RHD and haven't shipped at all yet.

For the record, I'm disliking basically everything Value EV says because, just like his prior (banned) moniker Dr Valueseeker), he is spamming the thread nonstop and making it unreadable. I don't care who the poster is, you should not have 5+ responses on every page in this thread. Same goes for myusername, who apparently can't keep his own promise to post once per hour.

It also doesn't help that these 2 bring up the same tired and debunked arguments that have been rehashed 400 times. Like any internet forum, our members (myself included) have a very hard like letting BS and horrific logic go unchecked, so we end up with a broken shell of a once great thread as we try to talk sense into members who are not interested in logic or sense in any form as it relates to TSLA.

Daily reminder, let's stop responding to these members. And try not to quote them out of respect to our members trying to ignore such noise.
"Same goes for myusername, who apparently can't keep his own promise to post once per hour."

esk8... I posted fewer times yesterday than you have today... and somehow you guys seem to have spent the day discussing how to get rid of us because of the volume of posts we're generating... which aren't actually coming from me... it's coming from the responses that quickly degrade into "I hate shorts"... when there was a very valid conversation occurring yesterday that started from a question from a Long regarding stock price expectations with the likely rollout of Level 5 automation within 2 years.

what is actually happening is there are a terrible number of people on here that do not want to hear anything negative about Tesla and swarm like piranhas on any post that does... turning valid conversations into "kill the shorty"... followed up with general consensus that there's no data being provided when there is.

the perfect example from yesterday was when I started my post off with a quote from Elon during an ER last year... and I was quickly questioned with suggestion that I was trolling... was ordered to provide evidence... which I did proving I was very accurate... and yet here we are.

how many times have I called someone an idiot on this board?... been personally disrespectful?... zero... now go take a look at how many times that's been thrown at me in the last 4 weeks.

I've got no answer here because I can't control the amount of anger that gets generated by simply saying something negative about Tesla.

Back on topic: Next Monday's product unveiling. For those who have spent some due diligence on this, are we pretty sure it will be next gen Autopilot hardware? I think it's very likely. Like last weekend's treat, I'm thinking he'll provide details Friday or this weekend.

One theory I had is that Musk wants to catch people off guard by not acting like it's a big deal, then the whole 'a win can feel like a win' for first time in a while, kicking things off for the seriously jam packed schedule for the remainder of the year.

10/17: Product unveil
10/26: Earnings
10/28: SCTY/Tesla Solar roof and Powerpack 2.0 unveil
11/1: Tesla will provide more details on merger financials
11/17: Vote

I think the staggered rollout of V8 also had something to do with surprise product and possibly AP update, since staggering roll out allows them to fine tune senors (radar) before getting rich data set back.

Reactions: stealthology
"Do you think Elon qualifies as an experienced engineer?"
and to answer this directly... NO... Elon is not an engineer... he is a CEO... he has been far removed from hands-on engineering far too long to be capable of participating in such a role...

And there you have it. Clearly you missed the most recent Elon interview where he stated his involvement in Tesla is 80% (yes, EIGHTY) engineering.

If you only knew what you thought you knew, you'd know.

And there you have it. Clearly you missed the most recent Elon interview where he stated his involvement in Tesla is 80% (yes, EIGHTY) engineering.

If you only knew what you thought you knew, you'd know.
If this were true... then Tesla is in dire need of a CEO... but there is no way Elon is spending 80% of his time writing software solutions to problems/designing firmware/designing robots, etc. on a technical level... 20% of his time running a 10k employee company as CEO and then doubling all of that as CEO of yet another company. a little common sense here should lead to questions... not "see... I told you so's"

I miss his posts. He posted 7,842 times, and yet I joined TMC closer to the end of those posts than the beginning, and read more of his posts posted before I joined and started reading TMC than after I did. I can understand after that much time wanting to do something else, which means barely coming here at all (he was last here over 4 months ago). I hope I get there someday. I don't see that day coming that soon.

Last edited:
I feel fairly certain the 10/17 product unveil will be the Tesla autopilot developments. I don't expect it to move the SP a lot because it is currently being held back by financial concerns over the looming SCTY merger. The next 3 events have a much better chance of affecting the SP because they address issues that are holding back the SP at the moment. I think it will play out like a snowball gaining momentum with each event, creating an increasingly strong trend: 1. Address the accusations that Tesla's autopilot is not THAT advanced and actually faulty, 2. Address the idea that Tesla continually loses money on it's cars; Q4 guidance will be important, 3. Demonstrate that TE isn't just vaporware; it is evolving technologically, orders are gaining speed, and there is no competition, 4. Address the financial concerns over the merger; if this is done convincingly, it could be the final blow to all of the recent negativity surrounding Tesla. That event will generate the greatest reactionary FUD because there will still be uncertainty and opportunity to voice contrarian opinions. Events 1, 2, and 3 really should not provide much opportunity for bearish reactions. Then there is still the vote. I would expect shorts to increasingly exit with each event except for possibly #4 but hopefully by then the trend is well established, continuing to flush them out. I think the market reaction to #4 is difficult to predict. All in all, it's a very exciting time to be a Tesla investor!

If this were true... then Tesla is in dire need of a CEO... but there is no way Elon is spending 80% of his time writing software solutions to problems/designing firmware/designing robots, etc. on a technical level... 20% of his time running a 10k employee company as CEO and then doubling all of that as CEO of yet another company. a little common sense here should lead to questions... not "see... I told you so's"

This has been brought up before. MANY times. I know, because I've b**** and moaned about it for years. Tesla doesn't need a CEO, it needs a President/COO.

Elon Musk's role as I see it is sort of a coordinator between engineering and product design. He does this at both Tesla and SpaceX. The difference with SpaceX is that there's a very capable President/COO named Gwyn Shotwell who handles day to day operations.

Too much of your opinion here. Just because Tesla isn't run how you would've liked it to be run, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

It's arrogant to claim that someone else is doing it wrong. As long as Tesla delivers on growth, we should leave it be.

Tesla's newest VP of engineering, who came after 20 years @ Audi, noted that Tesla is at least 7 years ahead of everyone else on EV tech. That kind of result speaks volumes about Elon's "lack of CEO" focus.

This has been brought up before. MANY times. I know, because I've b**** and moaned about it for years. Tesla doesn't need a CEO, it needs a President/COO.

Elon Musk's role as I see it is sort of a coordinator between engineering and product design. He does this at both Tesla and SpaceX. The difference with SpaceX is that there's a very capable President/COO named Gwyn Shotwell who handles day to day operations.
I just looked up Gwynne Shotwell. She is a fully full person. I would trust her to do, well, exactly what she does. As does Musk, obviously. The Solar System is a better place to have in it Gwynne Shotwell. Good for SpaceX.

About all of this Elon as Engineer thing. You know what? Car companies are engineering companies, otherwise, they're doing something wrong. And, they were doing something wrong. That's why Tesla. I don't even see why this is an issue. The CEO needs to be an engineer. That's what's wrong with most CEO's. The whole thing about being a CEO is that you aren't only an engineer; you're also this great executive. That's our question: has he achieved that greatness? Obviously, he has made do, and he doesn't trust anybody else to make do better than him because they might muck it up, and I agree, except that by now by all probabilities I think at least .2 to .7 people must have come up that he would trust in that role, just probability-wise. (So, ok, that leaves less than 100% probability of him finding that person yet. So, the math still works ...)

Of course!

And there's no way someone could start an automotive company in this day and age AND succeed, never mind building only electrical vehicles with more than 200 miles of battery range (which we know is totally impossible), that also Supercharge, and sell those cars WITHOUT a dealership network.

And there's no way that same person could also start a private space rocket company and compete on equal footing with entire countries and governments, and take supplies to and from the ISS, and make a reusable rocket that lands on a floating platform in the middle of the ocean or on land, AND do it WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper by millions and millions of dollars.

Of course he can't possible be the CEO of Tesla and spend 80% (of the 50% of the time he actually spends at Tesla - other 50% at SpaceX) engineering.

Nope. CAN NOT BE DONE. Especially, when it's staring you right in the face.

You are all over this, myusername. All the heck over this.

I came here looking for some insight about why the stock is down this morning. Thinking maybe I missed some news that happened last night, I went back to the posts as of 5:00pm EST yesterday. An hour later, after wading through a ton of drivel about AI and bickering about people's credentials, I have learned nothing about the short term value of the stock. @AudubonB - please get this thread back on track.

Actually you learned that nobody had any idea why the stock was down this morning. When people don't have an answer, they talk about other stuff.

Actually you learned that nobody had any idea why the stock was down this morning. When people don't have an answer, they talk about other stuff.
That's because some AI-bot has all ready become self aware and is learning to tradee. Once it is done with its experiment, it will basically own all securities in a matter of nanoseconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.