Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I was just thinking about the impact it could have on the stock in the short term if it emerges that a large number of reservations have been canceled. The media is always looking for FUD.

On reddit/teslamotors three different people claimed to have been told recently by tesla reps at stores that Model 3 reservation number has hit 500k.

People always assume when Elon is being coy it is to hide less than positive news. Maybe they were being coy during q2 call about sticking with model 3 disclosure number because they are planning on launching a coordinated bull attack soon and bringing about tsunami of hurt 2.0
Seems like a lot of waves on the horizon, maybe a couple big ones.

Last edited:
Its weekend and things seem to be really slow. Clinton is set to win the elections, SpaceX is not launching rockets and Musk is done with the Mars presentation and that news cycle slowed down as well. And Electrek takes weekends off.

Anyways, the Tesla event at hand is the next big thing I am looking forward to and wanted to speculate on what's on tap. But first let me take credit for first breaking the news about drive unit manufacturing in gigafactory more than 5 months ago.

My first guess would be Tesla Glass / HUD. We know for sure that 3 is going to be shipping with it in about 9-12 months from now. What better time to introduce this in the Flagship models. All the development work, etc., is done.

Equally likely is some announcement on autonomy. the least that can be expected is a redesigned wiring / harness architecture for upgrade-ability. A lot more likely, there is going to be an announcement on new cameras, radars and processing hardware (NVIDIA, but not drive PX2).

Both the above are relatively widely expected. Unexpected announcement: Longer range for the same Kwh batteries for all new vehicles. Tesla has been working on a new inverter architecture for sometime now. They started model 3 inverter with a blank slate as opposed to building it of off-the-shelf components for S and X. This should be done now and should be expected to go into S and X, just like the HUD / glass.

The next (un)likely "product" announcement is Elon will start talking about car factory as a product in addition to gigafactory as a product. The plan is to create a factory + equipment template and offer it to willing governments who can build these plants and lease them to Tesla. There is of course a precedent in the Silevo factory, which Tesla leases for $1 per year. Again this is somewhat far fetched, but having a high-level agreement with governments will take off pressure on Tesla to raise capital even through next year. This is a topic on its own as several people have pointed out other creative ways to finance Tesla growth (Eg: prepaid contracts for storage financed by the utilities) without dilution. Eventually Tesla will be more of a software company than a manufacturing company, but first its got to become the best manufacturing company. Still taking baby steps there.

The one thing I am sure of is the short term TSLA price movement from all this next week (we discuss this here right? anyone?? Bueller??). My prediction is the market will miss the forest for the trees and stock will barely move or creep down. But like DaveT said elsewhere, I am operating with a minimum of 18-24 month time frame. That's more than enough time for Elon to deliver enough steak to give all the shorts a heart attack.

The next (un)likely "product" announcement is Elon will start talking about car factory as a product in addition to gigafactory as a product. The plan is to create a factory + equipment template and offer it to willing governments who can build these plants and lease them to Tesla.
Except that's not what he means by "factory as a product"!

What he means is the factory designed with the same care as a product.

Tesla2yra.jpg

Tesla is a volatile stock that sometimes climbs like a Falcon 9 and sometimes dives like a meteor. It will continue to be volatile for quite some time. Here's a graph of the past year and a half of trading, with important events highlighted.

In summer of 2015 TSLA was challenging the All Time Highs of Sept, 2014. Model X deliveries were promised to take place before the end of the 3rd quarter. As the end of Q3 2015 neared, troubles with Model X began to surface and the delivery event included only a half dozen vehicles delivered to trusted individuals a few days before quarter's end. Clearly Model X had its problems and the stock began reflecting these problems.

In January of 2015 Tesla began a nosedive with the rest of the market, fearing a recession. Compounding the problem was continued weakness in Model X production.
* On February 10, 2016, Tesla held its 4Q 2015 ER. The numbers weren't so great, but the guidance was very positive, including better GMs, cash flow positive (with ABL) after March, Non-GAAP profitability for 2016 with GAAP profitability in Q4 16, and Model 3 on schedule with a March 31 reveal scheduled. That's all it took. TSLA reversed the next day and climbed like a Falcon 9 through the Model 3 reveal event and subsequent days of watching the reservation numbers grow higher.
* Alas, Elon announced on May 4 that Tesla would move up its 500,000 vehicles/yr. goal from 2020 to 2018, and investors became worried. Plans for cash-flow positive and likely for profitability went out the window and rapid growth became the focus. TSLA fell to below 210. Tesla recovered some in late May with an equity raise and then recovered into the 230s in June when investor Ron Baron spoke bullishly about Tesla, but then the bottom fell out when Tesla announced intentions to merge with SolarCity on June 21, which led to a $27 plunge in SP after hours.
* In early August TSLA recovered from the SCTY plunge, but prices peaked right around the time of the 2Q ER. Numbers were a miss, but guidance was encouraging and TSLA held its value fairly well for a few weeks.
* In late August a drop in SP began. One side of the story is that the drop was just a delay reaction by investors of the risk involved in expanding at breakneck pace while not understanding the cash requirements that SCTY might require. Another consideration is that during this period, short-sellers were using a particularly effective method of selling into the stock during the low-volume afternoon hours and methodically walking the SP down.

And so we reach the present day. The recession of early 2016 never happened and Model X production woes have been cured. Tesla delivered epic numbers of vehicles in Q3 and has a shot at GAAP profitability this quarter, plus cash flow positive. Even with this outlook, large numbers of shorts continue to be a drag on the stock price and Elon Musk would likely do an equity raise if the stock price was at an attractive level. That raise would help to significantly derisk the coming year and allow Elon to remove money issues from his plate of concerns. It is my belief that the main reason we see so many events scheduled for the next month is to achieve a higher SP, and I believe Musk will succeed. I believe the goal of the Oct 26, 28, and Nov 1 presentations is to not only encourage longs to buy TSLA but also to scare a good many shorts out of their position, which will not only diminish the brashness shorts have shown lately but also send the SP that much higher. It'll all be about showing that the risk of owning Tesla have been overblown. It's about instilling the same kind of optimism that came about from the Feb 10 Earning Report, but this time sticking with the plan and delivering the goods without too many big surprises.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, Mark Zuckerberg demoed the latest Oculus VR prototype on the 6th. Wondering now of the possibility of a collaboration with Facebook to develop a HUD/augmented reality windshield...

My first guess would be Tesla Glass / HUD. We know for sure that 3 is going to be shipping with it in about 9-12 months from now. What better time to introduce this in the Flagship models. All the development work, etc., is done.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo

That is what I would think, too. Would make perfect sense because it would avoid osborning, and at the same time create more demand for S/X and Model 3, too.

Maybe the new product unveiling involves a tie-up with another company that will also provide capital to Tesla. That would certainly be 'unexpected' and makes sense on Musks twitter timeline. Elon tweets about product unveiling, immediately followed by tweet about not needing equity raise.

This also crossed my mind - the change in language from Elon was surprising to me, from likely capital raise to not necessary. And the name Tesla Glass reminds me of something... Not sure how much of the technology might transfer to a HUD, but we all know there is a close link to Google and looking at history this seems to be the most likely candidate for a minority stake (more so than facebook).

This also crossed my mind - the change in language from Elon was surprising to me, from likely capital raise to not necessary.

I think @esk8mw is on to something there. Once the merger goes through, Tesla can aggressively monetize the future revenue stream from Solarcity. Even if they sell it at a discount, it doesn't really matter too much because the earliest convertible notes that have a due date are for 2018 by which time the Model 3 is long time launched already.

So when Elon said "it will be like a space ship" I immediately thought a very sophisticated HUD like they show on sci-fi shows. So not simple just the map and speed on the windshield, but possibly projecting the traffic ahead, surroundings/hazards especially at night, could be pretty useful. I don't want to go completely crazy with my assumptions, but I have a feeling Tesla HUD/Glass will be more than just a glorified odometer on the windshield. Maybe the new camera housing was not for a secondary camera, but for the projection system, or a camera facing the driver, tracking eye movement/line of sight.

If they pull something cool like that, S/X demand will once again go through the roof. Like when everyone was mocking them they did not have any drive assist systems, then they released AP, which is at least a generation ahead of the competition.

Unexpected announcement: Longer range for the same Kwh batteries for all new vehicles. Tesla has been working on a new inverter architecture for sometime now. They started model 3 inverter with a blank slate as opposed to building it of off-the-shelf components for S and X.

I wouldn't expect much range improvement from a new inverter design. Maybe a couple percentage points of improvement which might translate into 4-8 miles of range or so. Hardly groundbreaking.

One possibility for AP 2.0 is that it is just a step towards but not quite full autonomy yet. I have some doubts that the fully fledged drive PX 2 and its water-cooling requirements will make it in the current cars. Coincidentally nVidia is setting the release date of its smaller and more power efficient platform in Q4 2016. Much less processing power but enough to power Autopilot on highways and make better use of HD mapping, and transition Tesla vision into the new platform.

Referral program back on (in Canada at least) until January 15, 2017. Received this email this morning:

>We’re excited to announce a new phase of the Tesla Referral Program. Just share your personal code with friends, family, or anyone else. They can use the code to get a $1,200 credit towards a new Model S or Model X until January 15, 2017.

Your personal code:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As a thank you, our program awards include an invitation to our next product unveiling event, a Tesla Powerwall including installation, an extended VIP tour of the Tesla Factory including a Q&A with our Chief Designer, Franz von Holzhausen, and exclusive merchandise. Check out the full details here.

Thanks for your support in building the Tesla community.

Status
Not open for further replies.