Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect he is comparing like-to-like -- so Tesla-ceramic to ceramic, Tesla-slate to slate. He lives in California -- lots of tile roofs there. Asphalt is inexpensive, but does not last as long, so may not be the bargain it looks.
I agree.

In any case, Tesla will have no chance to produce sufficient solar roofing tiles to meet demand, if the price he is suggesting is realistic. Tesla needs another ten Buffalo factories.

• Love
Reactions: EinSV and Lessmog
Roll out of solar roofs in volume to begin next summer. Could be very interesting ....

Discussion of solar roof cost potentially being lower than a regular roof was clearly referring to lower cost from the perspective of a potential customer.

Last edited:
I agree.

In any case, Tesla will have no chance to produce sufficient solar roofing tiles to meet demand, if the price he is suggesting is realistic. Tesla needs another ten Buffalo factories.
That's got to be worth a bump up in the SP! Fortunately, most will not want to replace a roof before the present one is due to be replaced. Amazing future for Tesla (as expected by me at least).

"Tesla’s shareholders have overwhelmingly approved our acquisition of SolarCity. Excluding the votes of Elon and other affiliated shareholders, more than 85% of shares voted were cast in favor of the acquisition. With SolarCity’s shareholders also having approved the acquisition, the transaction will be completed in the coming days.

We would like to thank our shareholders for continuing to support our vision for the future. We look forward to showing the world what Tesla and SolarCity can achieve together."

There is no shred of doubt in my mind - Tesla *will* deliver more Model 3 in 2017 than GM will Bolt. I say this with confidence, because I believe Tesla will deliver well over 50,000, and possibly over 100,000 Model 3 in 2017, and GM couldn't deliver more than 30,000 Bolt if they wanted to.
Anyone know how many employee reservations there are for the Model Ξ?

• Informative
Reactions: stealthology
Why is the share price of SCTY not at the offer price right now after hours?

How many times do people have to explain there is no offer PRICE. There is an offer RATIO. For every SCTY you have, you get 0.11 TSLA, not an amount of cash.

As of writing, SCTY is at 20.83 in AH
20.85 / 0.11 = 189.54. TSLA's AH price is 189.73.

Its close enough to a zero arb gap. AH trades are infrequent and so it won't be an exact match.

I don't believe it. How many homes do you know with ceramic tile roofs? I can't think of a single one in my area. I concede that this may be partially because of *where* I live, but even when I travel, I rarely see tile roofs with greater frequency than where I live.

Elon's companies are about changing the world. You will not change the world with a product that's cheaper than only the most expensive roofing out there today, which nobody uses because of its cost. You change the world by attacking the price point of the asphalt shingles that 99% of homes have.

At mass scale, things approach the cost of their input materials. Glass is just sand + power. Asphalt shingles need oil, which needs to be refined, plus some aggregate material. Seems to me that there's no reason to believe that glass tiles couldn't be cheaper than asphalt. Particularly when you remember that Elon's latest kick has been about totally revolutionizing the modern factory by orders of magnitude.
So to put a Hungarian / European perspective on this, most roofs I have ever seen this side of the pond are ceramic (on private homes) or ceramic looking concrete. Basically the one i am showing on the picture below. Now, I know very little about roofing, but I just hit up the websites of 2 very popular brands even i know the names of and found these parameters:

You need roughly 9-12 pieces per square meter and each weighs around 4kg and costs $1-2 per piece (normal tile; special tiles on the edges and spine of the roof can go 7-10x as much, but you need a lot less of those). So this roughly puts tile costs at $10-20 per square meter, or roughly $1-2 per square foot depending on style, material and brand.

Now, again, with very limited knowledge on the subject matter, I also know the carpentry (?) or wooden structure that holds the whole thing is also very expensive, so if the Tesla tile also reduces the 40-50kg per square meter (~9 lbs per square foot) weight, I am thinking that cost may give as well.

You can add to that the lesser quantity of spare parts to be ordered due to less breakage during transport and installation.
b6a031ecd78a353f96089711d6ff0b8b.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.